main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Did Luke hate the Hutts?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Darth_Deagol, Jan 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Deagol

Darth_Deagol Jedi Master star 2

Dec 22, 2002
    In ANH Luke says that he hates the Empire in passing to Obi Wan. What did he think about the government on his own planet? I'm assuming that the Empire had very little or next to nothing to do with Tattooine. It would seem to me that the people of Tattoine had a world government that more or less had little involvement with it's citizens.

It doesn't seem that there was anything in the way of social services (police, fire department, schools) or any sort of judicial system for that matter. It was more or less the GFFA equivalent of the American Wild West. How did the citizens of Tattooine feel about being controlled by the Hutts?

My guess is that they preferred a Laissez Faire crime lord and hack out a simple, if not dangerous, living to the martial law that the empire would have installed. Would Tattooine have been better off with the Empire running the show?

2. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    jabba lived in a cold, dank place, where i dont think he really gave a care about controlling or the well-being of the planet. he ran his business and got what he wanted. with palpatine running the show, he probably tried to remain silent, and just watch his own skin.

**EDIT**

POST 2,000 WOOHOO!!!!

3. RogueWompRat

RogueWompRat Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 15, 2003
    I imagine that by that time the Empire had a local government installed, unlike in the Republic era when lack of control led the Hutts to control the planet. In the Imperial era, they still have a presence, but its the Imps that are in control.

4. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    Luke was just a simple farmboy and i assume he had done no more than heard stories about him, and he might have caught a glimse of Jabba while in town or something, but nothing big.

I really don't think he knows enough about Jabba to make a decision on how much he hates him.

5. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Luke hates the Empire because they are governing the planet at that time.

Jabba was just relegated to the local crime boss.

6. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    Yes, Luke hates them, because "there's just too much of his father in him."
    "They're animals!!!!"
    :D

7. Darth_Deagol

Dec 22, 2002
    Luke hates the Empire because they are governing the planet at that time.

Jabba was just relegated to the local crime boss.

I'm not sure about that. In the novelization of ANH Luke looks up with his macrobinoculars and sees the Star Destroyer firing on the Corrilean Corvette. He rushes off to Toshi Station and there he meets Biggs who takes a look and says something like, "The Empire wouldn't want anything to do with this planet."

Only after the Empire needed to find the droids did they take any notice of Tatooine. Then they left. Vader even possibly had good reason to stay away from there.

What makes you think that the Empire had control of the planet? He appeared to me to the the sovern of that planet in TPM. I've seen no evidence to the contrary.

I think Luke was more or less indifferent to the Hutt's rule over the planet.

8. Spacehunter24

Spacehunter24 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2003
    I don't think Jabba had anything to do with Tatooine's permanent government. His palace there was basically just a vacation home.

9. JBRO13

JBRO13 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 29, 2003
    And the Hutts supported slavery, therein supporting Watto, thereby supporting the enslavement of Luke's father.

10. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    And the Hutts supported slavery, therein supporting Watto, thereby supporting the enslavement of Luke's father.

Ah, but Luke didn't know that.

Anyway, my bet is that he's pretty apathetic about it. I don't think the Hutts had any sort of real rule, they were just in charge of the main stuff that happens on Tatooine, and not really a goverment. If they didn't want someone there, they'd get rid of them. I doubt they had much involvement with a regular citizen, especially moisture farmers.

11. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    "And the Hutts supported slavery, therein supporting Watto, thereby supporting the enslavement of Luke's father."

"Ah, but Luke didn't know that."

Agreed. Furthermore, slavery was only allowed in Mos Espa - nowhere else. And there's no indication that the practice still exists in the OT either (not that this makes any difference, just bringing up the point, is all. ;) )

12. isbagent1

isbagent1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 5, 2003
    Hate leads to suffering...

13. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
  14. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Agreed. Furthermore, slavery was only allowed in Mos Espa - nowhere else.

Source? I've never heard that one before. Jabba had slaves in ROTJ and that wasn't Mos Espa he was in.

15. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    Well, first of all, there's this from the OS...
    "In the time of the Republic, slavery persisted in Mos Espa, though the despicable trade was outlawed elsewhere. An entire section of the city's outskirts had been transformed into a Slave Quarter. - Mos Espa

Secondly, I wasn't sure if this continued or not into the OT, as the entry reads "In the time of the Republic". In the OT, we don't see or hear about slaves, but they could still exist.

"Jabba had slaves in ROTJ and that wasn't Mos Espa he was in."

True, but keep in mind that Jabba was a hutt, and he made the rules. "Slavery" for everyone may have been the rule in the PT, and changed or modified in the OT. Besides, Jabba only had slaves in his personal quarters, so even if slavery were subsequently banned for everyone else on Tatooine in the OT, who's going to tell Jabba not to have them himself. Hutts don't seem to mind having double-standards (or chins, for that matter. [face_laugh] )

For all we know, Jabba's palace could have been on the outskirts of Mos Espa (I really don't know, just throwing that out.) Either way, it doesn't make a whole lot of difference to the OT. I was commenting moreso on the PT.

16. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    What makes you think that the Empire had control of the planet? He appeared to me to the the sovern of that planet in TPM. I've seen no evidence to the contrary.

All the books that said they did.

17. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Jabba was a big time crimelord, who had his HQ located on that desert world. So he naturally had a lot of power on the world, plus he would sponser the Boonta Eve race as it raked in credits for him. He only attended the race as it was kinda obligatory of him to do so, no one said he had to stay awake during it though. ;)

Jabba did have a lot of influence on the planetary government through bribary, so I guess he was an important political figure.

As for Luke hating him, he probably did. A lot of people hate the Hutts, so I guess Skywalker could've been one of them.

18. DarthLazious

DarthLazious Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    He did.
    Everyone on Tatioone hates the Hutts.

19. isbagent1

isbagent1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 5, 2003
    Dislike the Hutts, sure but hate? Nah. Luke is a Jedi (in RotJ), Jedi don't hate.
    Of course he says he hates the Empire in ANH, but that is bfore he learned the ways of the Force.

20. Naboo1

Naboo1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 19, 2003
    I wonder if Jabba ever remembered the name Skywalker.

When Luke stated his name in Jabba's place, I wondered if a light went off in Jabba's head, and remembered that young boy by the name of Anakin that won a podrace of his?

21. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Do you remember who won the Indy 500 thirty years ago?

22. Darth_Deagol

Dec 22, 2002
    Jabba was a big time crimelord, who had his HQ located on that desert world. So he naturally had a lot of power on [Tattoine]. - Errant_Venture

Certianly. But, who was in absolute power? Jabba may have been only a figurehead, but in that case who was behind him? The Empire?

I have a sneaking feeling that the Empire had little to do with the government on Tattoine. Obi-Wan called Mos Eisley a "wretched hive of scum and villany". This may have been an over-the-top statement meant to impress Luke, however Obi-Wan was familiar with Coruscant. He wasn't some hick off of some dreary in-the-middle-of-nowhere farm (like I am).

In a time of war law and order would be especially important for the Empire. I have a feeling that the Empire wouldn't allow for such a lawless place like the Mos Eisley Cantina. The Cantina was a refuge for smugglers, bounty hunters, drug trading, and most importantly, anti-imperial rebels to gather and make diabolical plans against the Empire.

I think that if the Empire had been in proper control of Tattooine that there would have been more order. Firstly, I think that if The Empire had been in control they would have hunted down all of the Tusken Raiders and either killed them or put them in some sort of concentration camp and killed them. Tuskens would have been considered terrorists against the Moisture Farmers who were important to the economy of Tattooine, and therefore against the Empire. Instead we see that the farmers have to fend for themselves with no police or military aid. I see this as a sign that the Empire was not present on Tattooine.

I don't think that the Empire would allow roaming bands of Jawas to have free reign of the lands. The Empire would have benefitted from the taxation and oversite of salvage of ruined equipment. Jawas would have been under some sort of watchful eye.

Third there would have been more law under the Empire. Han Solo would not have been able to shoot Greedo without some fear of repercussion. OK so Han is fearless. But nobody is so callous as to flip the bartender a coin "for the mess" after just killing somebody without knowledge that the lack of any competent governance meant nothing to fear. There were no police, and he knew it. If the Empire had been in charge there would have been stormtroopers and informants on every corner. There would have been someone to answer to. In this case, once again, it wasn't the Empire who was in charge of Tattooine.

So, Who WAS IN CHARGE. The only logical conclusion is that The Hutts are in controll on Tattooine, Panaka said so himself in TPM. There is no evidence to convince me that any other power was in controll of affairs on Tattooine. Jabba just doesn't care what's happening as long as he's making a profit. This is probably why Mos Eisley is such a "wretched hive of scum and villany." - the absence of law and order allowed it to be so.

So, is Luke just an apathetic Teenager, like what we see in the United States today, or is he concerned about the sordid state of affairs on his home planet? Does he only care about racing T-16's and catching up on the latest celebrity trial? Is he just accoustomed to it? Would he change things if he felt that he could?

Note that I mostly mean Luke in ANH but his activites later in life can be of importance to the discussion. As in, Luke-Kills-Jabba.

I don't think the Hutts had any sort of real rule, they were just in charge of the main stuff that happens on Tatooine, and not really a goverment. - jedi_master_ousley

What sort of "stuff" do you think that the Government would be in controll of? And who would be likely to be in charge of it. What "main stuff" was Jabba in control of? What constitutes a government on Tattooine? That's what I want to know.

23. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    All we know is what the EU tells us and the movie implies.

The movie implies that the Hutts/the Empire are either in control.

The EU tells us that the Empire runs Tatooine, it installed a planetary governor and garrison Prefect, both of whom were bribed by Jabba and Lady Valarian (the other Tatooine crime boss), and spent most of their time ignoring the state of affairs on planet because they were trying to get themselves reassigned.

24. stacysatrip

stacysatrip Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    Only after the Empire needed to find the droids did they take any notice of Tatooine. Then they left. Vader even possibly had good reason to stay away from there.

Vader had a very good reason to stay away from there.

As for Luke hating the Hutts, seems to me that he hated the whole damn planet, and the Hutts being a part of it, I'm sure he wasn't a fan. All he wanted was to get out of there, and he swore when he left that he'd never come back. I doubt that he had much interaction with any Hutts until RotJ, though. The Lars' kept him pretty sheltered.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.