Did Luke kill the two Gamorrean guards?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by WhiskeyGold, Nov 4, 2012.

Moderators: Darth_Nub, MOC Yak Face
  1. WhiskeyGold Force Ghost

star 4
    When Luke arrives at Jabba's he chokes two Gamorrean guards. Does he kill them? They never run in. Maybe just passed out?
  2. rumsmuggler Chosen One

star 7
    Yep, he choked them until they passed out.
    The Corellian likes this.
  3. Champion of the Force Force Ghost

star 4
    I've also always assumed he just caused them to pass out.
  4. STARKILLER365 Jedi Youngling

5. Sitara Force Ghost

star 3
    Apologies for brining this up again...but WHY did Luke use the Dark Side again?

Especially after the whole lecture with Yoda about NOT falling to the Dark Side?
  6. Iron_lord Force Ghost

star 6
    Maybe it's not an inherent dark power he's using- just telekinesis- and not to kill, only to get past.
  7. darthbarracuda Jedi Master

star 2
    Yeah maybe it's like what Obi did to the stormtroopers in ANH where he confused their minds.

Luke probably just made them go to sleep.

And a Sith, IMO, would choke someone, not just to get past them, but they also take pleasure in seeing their own power. They could probably just gut 'em right through the chest with a lightsaber, but they enjoy the sadistic action of slowly choking someone. Just like how Vader could have just pushed Captain Antilles into the wall and put his lightsaber to his neck, but instead he choked him. That's just my opinion though
  8. Legolas Skywalker Force Ghost

star 6
    Passed out is what happened
  9. janstett Force Ghost

star 3
    I thought it was a brilliant nod that Luke was treading dangerously close to the dark side... Combined with the all black wardrobe, you had to wonder for a moment if Luke was going dark.
    Julius Vernon and Trask Ulgo like this.
  10. Darth_Nub Saga, Classic Trilogy and Film Music Manager

Manager
    star 4
    Correct, it's exactly what was intended.

- Mark Hamill, Bantha Tracks #18, November 1982
    Last edited by Darth_Nub, Dec 22, 2012
    DarthBoba, Julius Vernon and Sitara like this.
  11. Master_EdgeCrusher Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    It is not to say that he was using the Dark Side, but as a New Jedi Master, he now began gathering all knowledge the the force to include this such ability
  12. Trask Ulgo Jedi Master

star 3
    Agreed. Luke's training was quick, his father is the villain, and he is trying to save his friends from a Hutt gangster. IT makes sense that he was tempted by the dark side.
  13. Ambervikings91 Jedi Master

star 2
    I dont think we know either way, I would hope he didn't kill them but I'm not aware of anything about the guards after that point or anything confirming it either way. It is just speculation. I would guess that he didn't though, but we don't know
  14. BigAl6ft6 Force Ghost

star 4
    Luke probably used the force choke because he had just figured it out (I, uh, don't think Yoda woulda taught him that particular nugget) and gave it a shot. Afterwards he might have been, "Uh, okay. Let's just not do that one again." and mentally filed it away. Also there's no way he would have known if that particular attribute was "light" or "dark", even though it's basically totally been classified as "dark" ever since that point in all Star Wars stuff. It's an easy way to signify that someone is a bad guy. What with the neck crackling and gagging sound and all.

Let's just assume he never used it again. Hell, I could even think in the back of my mind there's some reference to it in the early EU novels where Luke is remembering the event and remembered how dark it was and said he'd never do it again.
  15. vypernight Jedi Master

star 2
    I don't think he killed them. Morals aside, he only held them in the choke for a few seconds. Even Vader needed longer than that to snap some delicate human's neck!

It looked more like he held the chokes just long enough to make the guards stumble back stunned. If he was able to snap the guards' necks (which were pretty thick, even if Force-choked) in a matter of seconds, then Luke had to have gained a massive amount of training offscreen!
Moderators: Darth_Nub, MOC Yak Face