main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Did Luke kill the two Gamorrean guards?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by WhiskeyGold, Nov 4, 2012.

1. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    When Luke arrives at Jabba's he chokes two Gamorrean guards. Does he kill them? They never run in. Maybe just passed out?

2. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Yep, he choked them until they passed out.

Darth_Pevra and The Corellian like this.
  3. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    I've also always assumed he just caused them to pass out.

4. STARKILLER365

STARKILLER365 Jedi Youngling

Dec 20, 2012
    Just past out.

5. Sitara

Sitara Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2001
    Apologies for brining this up again...but WHY did Luke use the Dark Side again?

Especially after the whole lecture with Yoda about NOT falling to the Dark Side?

6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Maybe it's not an inherent dark power he's using- just telekinesis- and not to kill, only to get past.

andresfelix likes this.
  7. darthbarracuda

darthbarracuda Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 4, 2012
    Yeah maybe it's like what Obi did to the stormtroopers in ANH where he confused their minds.

Luke probably just made them go to sleep.

And a Sith, IMO, would choke someone, not just to get past them, but they also take pleasure in seeing their own power. They could probably just gut 'em right through the chest with a lightsaber, but they enjoy the sadistic action of slowly choking someone. Just like how Vader could have just pushed Captain Antilles into the wall and put his lightsaber to his neck, but instead he choked him. That's just my opinion though

8. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Passed out is what happened

9. janstett

janstett Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2004
    I thought it was a brilliant nod that Luke was treading dangerously close to the dark side... Combined with the all black wardrobe, you had to wonder for a moment if Luke was going dark.

10. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Correct, it's exactly what was intended.

- Mark Hamill, Bantha Tracks #18, November 1982

11. Master_EdgeCrusher

Master_EdgeCrusher Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 21, 2005
    It is not to say that he was using the Dark Side, but as a New Jedi Master, he now began gathering all knowledge the the force to include this such ability

12. Trask Ulgo

Trask Ulgo Jedi Padawan star 3

Dec 8, 2012
    Agreed. Luke's training was quick, his father is the villain, and he is trying to save his friends from a Hutt gangster. IT makes sense that he was tempted by the dark side.

13. Ambervikings91

Ambervikings91 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    I dont think we know either way, I would hope he didn't kill them but I'm not aware of anything about the guards after that point or anything confirming it either way. It is just speculation. I would guess that he didn't though, but we don't know

14. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Luke probably used the force choke because he had just figured it out (I, uh, don't think Yoda woulda taught him that particular nugget) and gave it a shot. Afterwards he might have been, "Uh, okay. Let's just not do that one again." and mentally filed it away. Also there's no way he would have known if that particular attribute was "light" or "dark", even though it's basically totally been classified as "dark" ever since that point in all Star Wars stuff. It's an easy way to signify that someone is a bad guy. What with the neck crackling and gagging sound and all.

Let's just assume he never used it again. Hell, I could even think in the back of my mind there's some reference to it in the early EU novels where Luke is remembering the event and remembered how dark it was and said he'd never do it again.

15. vypernight

vypernight Jedi Master star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    I don't think he killed them. Morals aside, he only held them in the choke for a few seconds. Even Vader needed longer than that to snap some delicate human's neck!

It looked more like he held the chokes just long enough to make the guards stumble back stunned. If he was able to snap the guards' necks (which were pretty thick, even if Force-choked) in a matter of seconds, then Luke had to have gained a massive amount of training offscreen!

16. LeNivekk

LeNivekk Jedi Youngling

Oct 10, 2014
    Or ...
    maybe that Luke, like his father Anakin, is very sensitive when his friends/familly are in danger (maybe because of the impressive total of Midichlorians his body has ) morever he doesn't have a master jedi next to him all the time to remind him to stay on the Jedi's path...Indeed for me he goes a bit "sithhy" with those gammoreans.

I think that Luke has his dark side demons, and that episodes IV, V, VI were his moment s of glory, wherever Episodes VII, VIII and IX will show his fall !

And the new Master Sith, he will become !
    ..or not...I don't really know but if he becomes evil, this scene in "The Return of the Jedi" will clearly be a nice move !

17. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    He choked them out. He's a Jedi with an edge not a Sith.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  18. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    What? Vader snapped his neck after he got the information he wanted. That's of the most painless ways to die, actually.
    Needa's and Ozzel's deaths were cruel though, as punishment.

19. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    It's been years, OK, decades, since I read the RotJ novel, but IIRC it said Luke's actions were ever so faintly tinged by the dark side when he choked the guards.

Personally, I never believed force choke was a separate power. It's just telekinesis applied to the throat instead of rocks, R2 units, and X-wings.

20. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Right, but it is something that Jedi don't do because it is an aggressive use of the Force. An idea going into ROTJ was that Luke could go either way. At one point, Kasdan suggested a different color blade to help gray the issue, but Lucas wanted to keep the colors established thus far. But thanks to technical issues, Lucas wound up changing the blade anyway and thus allowing Kasdan's idea to be used after all. The film is careful to not have Luke kill in cold blood, only when it is in self defense or in defense of others. It is only when the duel begins and at the conclusion, does Luke really come close to turning.

Sarge likes this.
  21. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Not really - it's more Luke's feelings when Jabba sentences them to the Sarlacc:

Luke only smiled. "You should have bargained, Jabba. That's the last mistake you'll ever make." Luke was unable to suppress the satisfaction in his voice. He found Jabba despicable- a leech of the galaxy, sucking the life from whatever he touched. Luke wanted to burn the villain, and so was actually rather glad that Jabba had refused to bargain- for now Luke would get his wish precisely. Of course, his primary objective was to free his friends, whom he loved dearly; it was this concern that guided him now, above all else. But in the process, to free the universe of this gangster slug- this was a prospect that tinted Luke's purpose with an ever-so-slightly dark satisfaction.

though, just before he walks in - theres's an allusion to his being just a little "darker".

Standing outside in the dusty gale, staring into the black cavernous entranceway, was Luke Skywalker.
    He was clad in the robe of the Jedi Knight—a cassock, really—but bore neither gun nor lightsaber. He stood loosely, without bravado, taking a measure of the place before entering. He was a man now. Wiser, like a man—older more from loss than from years. Loss of illusions, loss of dependency. Loss of friends, to war. Loss of sleep, to stress. Loss of laughter. Loss of his hand.
    But of all his losses, the greatest was that which came from knowledge, and from the deep recognition that he could never un-know what he knew. So many things he wished he'd never learned. He had aged with the weight of this knowledge.
    Knowledge brought benefits, of course. He was less impulsive now. Manhood had given him perspective, a framework in which to fit the events of his life—that is, a lattice of spatial and time coordinates spanning his existence, back earliest memories, ahead to a hundred alternative futures. A lattice of depths, and conundrums, and interstices, through which Luke could peer at any new event in his life, peer at it with perspective. A lattice of shadows and corners, rolling back to the vanishing point on the horizon of Luke's mind. And all these shadow boxes that lent such perspective to things…well, this lattice gave his life a certain darkness.
    Nothing of substance, of course—and in any case, some would have said this shading gave a depth to his personality, where before it had been thin, without dimension—though such a suggestion probably would have come from jaded critics, reflecting a jaded time. Nonetheless, there was a certain darkness, now.
    There were other advantages to knowledge: rationality, etiquette, choice. Choice, of them all, was a true double-edged sword; but it did have its advantages.
    Furthermore he was skilled in the craft of the Jedi now, where before he'd been merely precocious.
    He was more aware now.
    These were all desirable attributes, to be sure; and Luke knew as well as anyone that all things alive must grow. Still, it carried a certain sadness, the sum of all this knowledge. A certain sense of regret. But who could afford to be a boy in times such as these?
    Resolutely, Luke strode into the arching hallway.

Sarge likes this.
  22. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    Force Grip and Force Choke are different powers. Force Grip which can be used on the throat, is a neutral power. Force Choke is a dark side power because it is used to crush the windpipe and even the lungs until the person dies. (Legends).

I believe Luke used Force Grip.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  23. andresfelix

andresfelix Jedi Youngling star 1

May 25, 2014
    Why hasn't this thread being locked yet?
    it has already been answered

24. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    The topic and its implications are still being discussed. You don't have to participate if you don't want to.

25. andresfelix

andresfelix Jedi Youngling star 1

May 25, 2014
    it is just that so many completely innocent threads get locked on this site, I wonder why not this one