main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Did Luke know anything about the Chosen One prophecy?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Ahsoka_Tano_11, May 14, 2013.

1. Ahsoka_Tano_11

Ahsoka_Tano_11 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 30, 2013
    As the name implies, did Luke know anything about the prophecy of the Chosen One? I don't think he knew anything about the past Jedi order besides the information in the journal 'Ben' left him. Did Yoda or Obi Wan ever tell him other information?

2. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    Why tell him something that they might not believe in anymore? Also Anakin knew that they believe that he is and broke under the pressure.

Also at the time the Prophecy wasn't developed to the fullest.

Like your signature Ahsoka_Tano_11

3. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    I'm almost certain that if he didn't in the OT, he did once he rebuilt the Jedi Order. Who knows - maybe that will play a part in Episode VII.

Ahsoka_Tano_11 likes this.
  4. Ahsoka_Tano_11

Mar 30, 2013
    Thank you! ;)

5. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    Probably not. But if they did, it could have possibly been between ESB and ROTJ. Telling him before that would serve no purpose, as Anakin was supposed to be dead to him.

Though maybe Luke's determination to turn his father may have also been influenced by the prophecy.

6. Ahsoka_Tano_11

Mar 30, 2013
    I may have, but it probably had more to do with his faith in his daddy ;)

7. Darth Liberatus

Darth Liberatus Jedi Padawan star 1

May 13, 2013
    I doubt he was aware of the original prophecy, though he did sense that Vader would turn back to the light side. However, after Vader did turn, someone (Force ghost of Yoda or Obi-Wan perhaps) probably told him.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  8. deadly jp

deadly jp Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 27, 2014
    Luke must of known if he thinks theres still good in anakin, obi wan must of told luke about the prophecy.

9. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Looking at it cynically of course he wasn't aware of it, because it was something made up for the sake of the PT with no thought that it didn't tie in with the OT.

Yanksfan and TX-20 like this.
  10. Visitant

Visitant Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 20, 2014
    Luke believed there was still good in Vader because he could sense it. Why would Obi-Wan or Yoda tell Luke about the prophecy? They wanted him to kill Vader.

Lady_Misty, Deltron3030 and Yanksfan like this.
  11. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    It might have been mentioned in a journal at Ben's house but that depends on how hard Luke looked when he made his new lightsaber. Probably came to light afterwards.

Iron_lord likes this.
  12. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    It's clear that Obi-Wan and Yoda no longer believed in the prophecy after Anakin's fall, so they would have no reason to tell Luke something that would further complicate things and confuse him more when it isn't true
    Even if they still did believe in the prophecy, which I highly doubt, they would probably think that now Luke is the Chosen One, and telling him would be unwise as it was clear that Anakin's knowledge of his destiny went to his head, made him cocky and arrogant

Ananta Chetan likes this.
  13. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I don't think Luke knew of the prophecy at the time, though he might have afterwards. At best he knows that stopping the Sith is important to the Jedi, though they don't elaborate on why, other than it will bring an end to the conflict.

Visitant likes this.
  14. Drewdude91

Drewdude91 Jedi Knight star 3

May 21, 2011
    Why would he know of the prophecy? After Anakin became Vader, Yoda and Obi-Wan came to the conclusion that the prophecy was false. They were wrong, of course, but why tell Luke about a prophecy that was false? And also, there was no communication between Luke and Obi-Wan between ESB and ROTJ, so he definitely didn't tell Luke.

15. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Just bring in James Arnold Taylor to record some new dialog for the next Blu-ray release of ROTJ.

Obi-Wan: "Your father is the Chosen One. He is destined to bring balance to the force. And your mother chose death over raising you and your sister. She totally could have lived, but decided that without Anakin, life just wasn't worth living. You meant nothing to her. May the force yadda-yadda-yadda."

Deltron3030 and sarlaccsaurs-rex like this.
  16. sarlaccsaurs-rex

sarlaccsaurs-rex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    Come to think of it it does make more sense that Luke is the chosen one, not Anakin. If luke didn't sway vader the Emperor never would have been defeated.

17. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    But Vader is the one who kills Palpatine and Vader wanted to kill him anyway. The only difference is that he does it as a good man acting compassionately towards his son.

Ananta Chetan likes this.
  18. Visitant

Visitant Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 20, 2014
    I thought Vader wanted Luke to kill Palpatine.

19. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Vader wanted to turn Luke and then the two of them would overthrow Palpatine. He knows that Luke is a threat to Palpatine, but he's only thinking in terms of Luke being more physically whole than he is. He never says that only Luke can destroy him, only that together can they do it.

20. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    i would say no. by that time yoda and ben no longer believed anyway.

21. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

Lucas crafted the prophecy so that it specifically would tie into the OT. Which was pretty easy, given that the OT was already made, and all he had to do was make sure the prophecy was consistent with what happened in the previously released movies.

I honestly don't know where these sentiments come from. I mean, okay, so maybe you don't like the prophecy. But what do you even mean when you say it doesn't tie in with the OT? The prophecy says he's destined to destroy the Sith. In the OT, he does in fact destroy the Sith--which is why Lucas made the prophecy say that in the first place.

edit: But to deal with the thread topic more directly--no, I don't think Luke knew anything about it during the time of the movies. Yoda (and perhaps Ben) wanted Luke to decide on his own to try to redeem his father. The Jedi spent the better part of 13 years trying to make a prophecy come true during the time of the Republic, and it resulted in disaster. They've learned that it's better to act on instinct, rather than relying on faith in a predetermined outcome.

Lady_Misty and Darth Raiden like this.
  22. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I suppose I was being a bit sarcastic in that the prophecy was something never mentioned in the OT and they added it to the PT, and my main gripe with the prophecy is that its something thats not really explained very well as it seems an important aspect of the Jedi faith. So pesonally I would have liked a bit more depth to it I guess. Maybe they kept it vague on purpose? The prophecy says Anakin was to bring balance to the force, but what does that mean? Is it vanquishing the Sith? I don't know. But I think we are guessing if we think the outcome of ROTJ ties in neatly with the chosen one fulfilling said prophecy, because the prophecy is so vague. To my way of thinking balance to the force doesn't mean it just consisting of good users and no dark side users.

23. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    In AOTC, Yoda says that the shroud of the dark side has fallen due to the start of the war and Mace says that their ability to use the Force has diminished, which Yoda links to their inability to know of the existence of the Clone Army. The Force is out of balance because of that and it is linked to the Sith as ROTS reveals with Obi-wan's parting words to Anakin.

24. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I'd consider it pretty unlikely as it's never mentioned in the OT.

Bring_My_Shuttle likes this.
  25. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    So I guess he didn't know about the Sith as they are never mentioned in the OT but remember Obi-Wan and Yoda thought Anakin was lost forever so really there is no reason for them to mention it.

They are simply trusting the Force will guide Luke somehow. Really they have no idea what's going to happen.

They might believe Luke can defeat Vader but how they possibly could think Luke could take out Sidious?

They are hoping not expecting.

Not at all it was created so that it would tie in with the OT. Far better than ESB and ROTJ tied in with SW what with the father and sister angle not to mention the hidden angle.

That's why the PT is able to smooth over the faults in the OT storyline as now being hidden in plain sight is used by Palpatine in the PT so Luke and Leia are doing it in the OT doesn't look any more ridiculous. Vader is the balance of the Force because he was good and became evil while in the OT good is pretty much good and evil pretty much evil. Vader is the focal point of good and evil hence can bring balance.

The thought that went into making the PT and OT line up was incredible really. A major writing achievement.

Lucas long ago learned the benefits of not tying things down too much. It was fortuitous that in SW it was not made absolutely explicit that Vader and Anakin were two different people. One errant line from Vader about how he killed Skywalker would have done it much like one line from Yoda about another meant he had to tie it up in the last film and shoehorn Leia into that spot.

So by never really locking in exactly what the prophecy says except in the broadest terms it allows all kinds of interpretations. Anakin IS the chosen one and DID bring balance to the Force. Does that mean he needed to destroy both the Jedi and Sith and have it all start over again? Maybe.