main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Did Luke not know about Force Lightning until Palpatine hit him with it?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Darth Valkyrus, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Movie novelizations aren't as high up in cannon as the movies but the ROTJ novelization was great. You should take a look.

Darth Eddie likes this.
  2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    They're both considered G-canon in general- however, where they differ, the movie takes precedence (So Luke was a member of Red Squadron, not Blue Squadron). Elements originating with the author rather than Lucas, are C-canon- but it's hard to know what those elements are. The backstory of the Sith in the TPM novel, for example, apparently came straight from Lucas- including the name of the founder of the Rule of Two: Darth Bane.

3. vw_jedi

vw_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2002
    Why warn Luke if he was more or less a sacrificial lamb anyway?

Force lightning is the perfect way for Luke to be put into a position which would force Vader/Anakin to have make a choice, and ultimately fulfill his role in balancing the Force.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  4. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    I think the fact that it was Force Lightning was somewhat irrelevant. Luke should have been prepared for any Force power the Emperor could conjure. Even if he didn't know about Lightning, he knew very well of the Sith abilities like Force Push, or Choke. An unarmed Emperor was still one of the deadliest beings in the galaxy.

5. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    In a way, it wouldn't have mattered if Luke knew about it or not. He went there on what he figured was a suicide mission. (Remember: "Soon I'll be dead, and you with me.") At best, he figured the Alliance would arrive and blow them all up. At worst, he'd resist the Dark Side and set a good example for Anakin, but get killed in the process.

As for his asking for help later, it's one thing to philosophically decide to give up your life before a crisis starts. It's another to continue with that thought as you're getting painfully electrocuted.

6. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
  7. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    Luke should have stayed to finish his training. Yoda was THIIIIIIIIIIIS close to showing Luke how to deflect lightning. Oh well, that's what Luke gets!

FRAGWAGON and minnishe like this.
  8. OnesionRa

OnesionRa Jedi Youngling

Sep 2, 2012
    Im not sure thats fully accurate. He claimed to have "foreseen" everything coming and (most people miss this) I think when luke walked in the throne room with the cuffs on, palpatine twitched a finger and they fell off.
    Actually I can prove it. Emperor Palpatine: Welcome, young Skywalker, I have been expecting you. You no longer need those. [uses the Force to detach Luke's cuffs. Wikiquote.

I just think he was powerful enough that he didn't have to put much effort into it.

9. OnesionRa

OnesionRa Jedi Youngling

Sep 2, 2012
    How in the world do you know this?

10. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004

Yes I agree. Someone correctly pointed out the thing with the cuffs up above. I think the point I'm making is that he hadn't shown a great deal in the way of force power, so when he did, it was that much more spectacular. This is something I really liked about OT Palpatine. If he'd been showing his powers off to a great extent throughout the film, the unleashing of the lightning on Luke wouldn't have had nearly the same effect.

TOSCHESTATION likes this.
  11. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Obviously, the real answer to why Yoda didn't warn Luke about lightning was so that when it happened, it would come as a... wait for it... SHOCK!!!

Pensivia and TOSCHESTATION like this.
  12. TOSCHESTATION

TOSCHESTATION Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    And, in the older prequel time-line superseded by the PT, Yoda and the Emperor probably didn't fight each other.

13. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    I donno about that...the Emperor and Yoda do have a confrontation in earlier drafts of ROTJ. Heck, Palpatine even keeps a lightsabre up his sleeve at one point. :p I don't think we can really say whether or not they would have fought in the earlier prequels timeline simply because we don't know squat about it.

As for why Luke gets hammered flat by Palpatine-he does briefly manage to deflect it in the novelization, but I think it works better the way it does in the movie. Luke just defeated his father and his own inner darkness seconds before and BAM, he gets swatted like a fly by Palpatine.

14. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Well if Yoda and Palpatine fought in the PT I would like to think Palpatine used 2 or 3 different dark moves not related to Force lightning so that Yoda would be correct on that count.

15. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    C'mon, Luke's Jedi training lasted, like, a weekend. There's only so much you can tell the boy if you gotta keep him running through the swamp 24 hours a day.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  16. Rachel_In_Red

Rachel_In_Red Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2013
    I don't think he did.

17. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    He had no clue. Obi-Wan never told him... [face_hypnotized] Either did Yoda.[face_monkey]

18. Rachel_In_Red

May 12, 2013
    I still don't know why Yoda and Obi-Wan thought the best course of action for defeating the Sith was to go into exile for 20 years and then give Anakin's son a crash course in Jedi training.

19. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    Now that I think about it you're totally right. Best answer I can think of: Narrative convenience!

AKA,

Less of the story was planned ahead than you thought it was!

20. Rachel_In_Red

May 12, 2013
    I realize that, but I always look for in-universe explanations whether they were intended or not. There isn't a good one in this instance.

21. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    Well let me apply the thinking cap for a moment...

If Yoda and Obi-Wan were training more Jedi out-of-hiding, they would have been tracked down and wiped out. The children were given chances to lead semi-normal lives until they were mature enough to bear their burdens... but beyond that i am really stumped.

I expect an equally illogical reason for the assumed timejump between VI and VII. I guess I don't mind that though.

22. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    Another one of those post ANH story elements that doesn't sit too well with the original film. I can't remember ever hearing a convincing in-universe answer.:(

23. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Exactly. Luke knew that if he continued using the force he would fall to the dark side (that's why he throws away his weapon, the universal symbol for refusing to fight). And he would rather die than have that happen.

Sarge likes this.
  24. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012

Yeah this is probably accurate. In the recently released conversation with Lucas from the 80s about the backstory he said that Yoda wasn't much of a fighter.

"Also another misconception is that Yoda teaches Jedi, but he is like a guru; he doesn’t go out and fight anybody."

25. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It can't be a misconception that he teaches Jedi- because he himself says so, straight out.

I thought the sentence should be parsed as:

Another misconception is that: "Yoda teaches Jedi, but he is like a guru; he doesn’t go out and fight anybody"

So- it's his not fighting anybody, that is the misconception.