main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Did Luke reveal that Anakin had been redeemed?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Kylo Rennish, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Kylo Rennish

Kylo Rennish Jedi Youngling

Dec 18, 2015
    I noticed when Anakin/Vader was ever mentioned in the movie itself, it was as if he was never redeemed?. If this turns out to indeed be true. Why would Luke keep such a fact to himself?. Even from Leia?.

2. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I don't get that impression at all. Luke definitely told them.

3. One Quarter Portion

One Quarter Portion Jedi Master star 2

Apr 9, 2016
    Well, at least Snoke and Kylo know.
    "...The historians have it all wrong. It was neither poor strategy nor arrogance that brought down the Empire. You know too well what did."
    Ren nodded once. "Sentiment."
    "Yes. Such a simple thing. Such a foolish error of judgement. A momentary lapse in an otherwise exemplary life. Had Lord Vader not succumbed to emotion at the crucial moment - had the father killed the son - the Empire would have prevailed."
    From the TFA novelizaion.

thejeditraitor and Iron_lord like this.
  4. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Redemption has never been claimed or asserted in-universe. Even "you were right about me" referred to there being good in him, not to him being redeemed.
    His last act was that of good; he had seen the light, and he made the choice to go back to it. As such, he died.

This may well end up being another one of those "neat bow" things, because if we do see a force ghost Anakin, I think he won't be the smiling, benign vision seen at the end of ROTJ (whether Sebastian Shaw or Hayden) but will actually be depicted as having to spend eternity with the knowledge of how he lived his life. If anything, that will be an interesting dynamic between Kylo and Anakin if it were ever to happen.

Bottom line is, if Anakin had survived, he'd be responsible for his crimes.

5. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002

Indeed, the concept art of Force Ghost Anakin™ was of an entity constantly shifting between Vader and Anakin and tormented.

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  6. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    There is no way Luke didn't tell Leia.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

7. luketheforeigner

luketheforeigner Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 16, 2016
    Yeah i agree with you

8. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    It was thirty long years since the events of ROTJ... And somewhere during this period, Luke will definitely have mentioned about their father's redemption to Leia, no doubt about that (maybe not immediately but at least a few days or weeks later)! =D=

9. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    One Quarter Portion quoted

"Yes. Such a simple thing. Such a foolish error of judgement. A momentary lapse in an otherwise exemplary life. Had Lord Vader not succumbed to emotion at the crucial moment - had the father killed the son - the Empire would have prevailed."

Alan Dean Foster wrote that? At the end in ROJ it wasn't about Vader killing Luke but letting the Emperor kill Luke and not interfere.

Torib likes this.
  10. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Vader standing by while having the ability to save him was tantamount to killing him. Especially considering that Vader clearly knew that by bringing Luke to Sidious, Luke would either turn to the dark side or be killed.

11. Dame sans merci

Dame sans merci Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2016

But remember those are Snoke's words - I wouldn't be surprised if the version he tells Kylo has been twisted somewhat to suit his own ends.

12. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    PaulWrightyThen likes this.
  13. PaulWrightyThen

PaulWrightyThen Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 11, 2016

Even as a kid my eyes rolled.

14. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014

It's not a "certain point of view" - considering the people involved, failing to intervene after bringing Luke to the emperor is murder. Just like it'd be murder for someone to leave a small child with a hungry wolf or something. I mean, obviously Sidious is guilty too, but there's no problem at all with ADF's words, and that's a guy who does his research and can and should be given the benefit of the doubt

15. jkarateking

jkarateking Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 16, 2016
    I don't think Anakin redeemed himself. Killing one sith lord doesn't make up for the fact that you murdered hundreds of jedi including children and lots of rebel soldiers.

Allana_Rey likes this.
  16. One Quarter Portion

One Quarter Portion Jedi Master star 2

Apr 9, 2016
    That was what Snoke said, sorry. I forgot to add that since I was directly quoting the book.

17. Dagobah Dragonsnake

Dagobah Dragonsnake Jedi Master star 4

Feb 7, 2016
    Luke: Then I told him I wanted to save him, and he told me I already had ...
    Leia: Oh. Wow. Saved? Really? How did you save him?
    Luke: I told him there was still good in him.
    Leia: That's it?
    Luke: No, then when the Emperor was killing me, Dad jumped in and picked the Emperor up and threw him down the energy shaft.The Emperor zapped him something fierce with his Force Lightning. I guess that screwed up all his life support electronics.
    Leia: So ... Dad saved your life, because of your telling him you knew there was still good in him ... so that finally made him think, "oh my kid is being killed by this guy. I'll intervene."
    Luke: Well, if you put it that way, yes, but I think it is more complex than that. He also told me - as he was dying - that I should tell you I was right.
    Leia: And that's it? The sum total of both our lives without our real parents, while Dad goes about the galaxy as the Emperor's hit-man for nearly twenty years, is his finally realizing that watching his own child being murdered was actually a bad thing? That perhaps he needed to intervene in that? ... And what do I get? A message from a father who did not even recognize me, telling me my brother had figured out his "repressed" good? Seriously?
    Luke: Leia you must understand. I am talking about Dad's redemption.
    Leia: Luke, he died. If what you describe can actually be construed as redemption, he was redeemed for like ... maybe five minutes. Anyway, I'm pregnant ... yes it's Han's ... and knowing the Old Man is the grandfather is a touch disconcerting.

18. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012

In the early EU, when Luke starts having nightmares about a Dark Lord that he thinks is Vader - it's Leia that comfortingly reminds him of Vader's redemption:

Star Wars 92: The Dream

Leia: "Luke ... have you told anyone else about this?"
    Luke: "How could I, without explaining to them why it upsets me so ... who Darth Vader really was, and what he was to the pair of us. We haven't even told anyone besides Han about our being brother and sister, because we didn't want people to begin asking questions about our parentage."
    Leia: "And the truth would make us so unpopular. No man was ever more hated than Darth Vader, unless it was the Emperor himself..."
    Luke: "He was the Dark Lord ... the one who always did the Emperor's dirty work for him..."
    Leia: "But Luke, even if most people choose to forget it, he turned back to good at the end, and helped topple the Emperor ... for you! You don't need to feel ashamed of him."
    Luke: "I don't. But in my dreams, I'm afraid of him."

19. Dagobah Dragonsnake

Dagobah Dragonsnake Jedi Master star 4

Feb 7, 2016
    I was just pondering about Leia being pregnant with Kylo, in terms of the thread. Makes for a whole different speculative scenario.

20. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Anakin's last words were "Tell your sister you were right." How could he have not told Leia?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

21. ForgottenMaster

ForgottenMaster Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 29, 2015
    I would think that Luke told Leia.

I think Snoke is behind the rest of the galaxy finding out that Vader was Anakin Skywalker and that Leia is his daughter.

22. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Lucas Anakin was redeemed, so it's canon until the Mouse says otherwise.

MeBeJedi likes this.
  23. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I'm pretty sure he told Leia and his close friends sometime after the celebration had died down. It would be weird not to ask Luke what happened to him and how he was able to come back...I'm sure Leia and Han asked about it, at least.

24. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Stoneymonster

I think the idea Luke is in touch with both his light and dark sides. Not that he's Gray or uses both the Light and Dark, but he hasn't suppressed his dark side. And when he communicates with his father's ghost, he comminicates with both sides of his father. Vader never ceased to be Anakin, while Anakin can never undo what felt and did as Vader.

I think too much has been made of Snoke's comments about Kylo. Everyone--including Palpatine who in a moment of compassion yelled, not "Lord Vader!", but, "Anakin!" and then rushes to touch Anakin's forehead--has both light and dark. The Chosen One, who redeemed himself by destroying the Sith, is a vast repository of knowledge of the Force in both its aspects. For Luke, he's better than both a Jedi Holocron and a Sith Holocron.

His grandson being the masterpiece means he has potential off the charts. And then he meets his cousin who almost gave into the dark side.

Kinda segued there. Sorry.

25. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I'm sorry, but a Vader/Anakin Force ghost would totally undermine the redemption. If there's anything Lucas had done right in the last 17 years it's that he made Force ghosts only a light side achievement. The distinction between Jedi and Sith should be more than morals and lightsaber colors.