main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Did Luke start his Jedi training with revenge in mind?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Obi_one_and_only, Dec 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi_one_and_only

Obi_one_and_only Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 18, 2001
    I did a search of the first 4 pages and could not find any relevant post.

In ANH, after returning from the Lars homestead, Luke tells Obi-Wan: "I want to come with you to Alderaan. There's nothing for me here now. I want to learn the ways of the Force and become a Jedi like my father."

I think that Luke had revenge in mind at that time. Seeing his only family slaughtered and the homestead burned to ashes was pretty devastating for him. No wonder he wanted revenge against the Empire, against Vader who betrayed an murdered his father.

Was this revenge the driving force that lead him to begin training as a Jedi? Would he still go to Bespin if he had let go of it?

Thanks

2. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    I think revenge could be a part of it...but also a sense that none of his old life was left for him to return to.

3. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    Don't forget that Ben also allowed Vader to cut him down right in front of Luke...I always thought that was a bit underhanded. Perhaps not so much to garner hate in Luke, but to make it so that he saw no worth or desire to join the empire. But for Luke leaving Tatooine, I agree with the above user that he simply didn't see the worth of staying. IMO, the only reason he didn't leave earlier was because he did care for his family, and now that they were gone, well, not much left to care for on Tatooine, eh? (Actually, kind of ironic. Both Skywalker boys found reasons to hate their home planet and never wanted to return to it...but ultimately they find their paths traveling back to it time and time again. Roots are more important than they think.)

You have to keep in mind that part of a Jedi's training is controlling emotions. The Jedi do not deny them. They are, after all, an essential part of the human (or alien) makeup. What they focus on is restraining those emotions before they drive a Force user to make choices in the heat of the moment. Luke can feel angry and vengeful, but he cannot let those emotions consume them, else he risks turning to the dark side (ala ROTJ duel). He must try and clear his mind to use the Force without applying those dark emotions to it.

And lastly...well, Luke was trained to be a Jedi *killer.* It's not as though they were asking him to confront the emperor by showering him gifts and flowers. They wanted him to take both Palpatine and Vader down, no matter the cost, and it wasn't going to do them any benefit to familiarize Luke with any redeemable traits on the part of either Sith lord.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.