main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Did Mace Windu survive? Did other Council members survive Order 66?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by DarthTalonx, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    I think it's safe to assume and established at this point that the Jedi that went to arrest Palpatine are all dead, including Windu. The same goes for the Jedi that fell on screen during Order 66. The most likely survivor outside of Obi and Yoda from the Council is Shaak Ti. She survived in the EU, I hope the same is true for the new canon.

2. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    Oh man, Shaak Ti's the luckiest/unluckiest Jedi in the whole darn saga... well before the continuity reset. Isn't she the one whose had four or five different 'canon' but off screen deaths but each time had it overruled by a newer/higher precedence scene? I am pretty sure she was apparently killed by Anakin but I'd like to think she got away, hung up the lightsaber and enjoyed a healthy, happy retirement.

darskpine10 and Iron_lord like this.
  3. DarthTalonx

DarthTalonx Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2014
    You do make a very good point and indeed Order 66 is a poignant moment in the prequels and whole saga. I agree, it shouldn't be belittled. As much as I would love hot Aayla to survive, it does seem very difficult to see how she could, unless her species could take so many shots, and she was on the brink of dying, when her clone troops were attacked by the droid army across the plains (that you see just before Aayla is shot at) and left her assuming she was dead.

I think with Windu, Yoda also sensed something was wrong, but it seems more possible that he could have survived, since it is more ambiguous. Even with Palpatine there is an explosion. Mace was after all, second only to Yoda. But if he survived, I don't think he could be active until after Episode 6. Because he doesn't strike me as the type of Jedi to sit around (he was one of action). Also he would most likely seek retribution. So a possible way out could be to have him found/saved and encased in an experimental prototype of carbonite by a friend of the Jedi. And he could be unfrozen in Episode 7 or 8.

Maybe. Would be cool to see more stories around him as he was epic.

Yes Palpatine was extremely powerful. Thing is Luke seemed blasted for way longer and was still alive? I think Mace couldn't defend himself as maybe he didn't have that ability - I think even Dooku was surprised at how Yoda handled the lightning and even the Emperor was looking panicky when Yoda was holding him back. In fact, if Yoda had been more lucky with his fall, then things could have been different.

With regards to Windu, yes I think it was partly not having that skill, but also the sheer shock of what just happened. He was focused on the enemy and suddenly Anakin (a Jedi and the Chosen One) just cut his hands off. There would have been shock and pain and of course, then Palpatine instantly blasted him before he had time to react. He would certainly require medical attention, but he is still a skilled Jedi Master. He managed to best Palpatine in lightsaber combat and was at this point second only to Yoda (though Anakin was catching up fast). He would have had to come out of shock and somehow guide his fall. Although don't forget that Luke was lucky, maybe Windu was too. It's not impossible that he didn't fall into the reach of some airduct pocket or to some factory or to some Jedi friendly beings. They could have kept him in bacta (like Luke was in ESB) or encased him in a prototype of frozen carbonite to smuggle him to safety (before Windu regained consciousness). Though in transport, they could have been attacked by pirates, and ejected him in an escape pod to safety.

The frozen Windu could be discovered decades later after Episode 6 in Episode 7, 8 or 9?

Imagine the possibilities of stories. Again no spoilers please for Episode 7.

But imagine this: A Master of the Old Order grappling with emerging 40+ years into the future, having been betrayed by Anakin. The Old Order is dead. The Empire prevailed, but was then toppled. Now a new Jedi Order is rising back, but it is very different to what Mace is used to.

The character interaction between Mace Windu, a respected member of the old Order with the new Jedi, especially Luke?

fives_is_alive likes this.
  4. The Sith Camp

The Sith Camp Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 10, 2015
    The character interaction between Mace Windu, a respected member of the old Order with the new Jedi, especially Luke?[/quote]

Hello again!

Actually now that you mention it - can you imagine perhaps a 'Cyborg' version of Mace Windu - not too unlike DC's Cyborg? ;) Haha or even partial War Machine/Iron-Man Mace Windu? Or even somewhat a Protoss-Dragoon like version of Mace Windu - so he be recovered and encased in an advanced Droid Robotic Suit ... given in the EU - Master Yaddle's Padawan - Empatojayos Brand (tbh a Jedi who deserved more really even if the EU isn't 100% cannon these days) - the Jedi Knight whom sacrificed himself to ensure Palpatine would never come back - he was badly injured in the Clone Wars and later returned well in a cyborg suit - complementary courtesy of the Ganathans ... and yet he still had more than enough will and spirit and enthusiasm to help Luke and the others when he met them to deal with Palpatine ...

But anyways - what I meant with Sith Lightning is that - with Luke - don't forget Palpatine just merely applied a 'non-lethal' dosage as 'punishment' to Luke for failing to yield to him and as he got more and more worked up then he started to increase the amount of current and dosage onto Luke ... I mean compare that to Mace Windu where Palpatine was just utterly fueled by anger and hate going 'No...No...No....You Will Die!!!' and had it not been for Mace Windu's rapid reactions and Vaapad ... I mean the fact it seemed still even if Mace Windu survived - the point being - and even Darth Maul was completely helpless when Palpatine blasted him with Sith Lightning as punishment ... yet Darth Maul - given for all his pain and training and experience -and where he even managed to resist a Nightsister's Lightning (then again she wasn't Palpatine) yet he was completely 100% scared of Palpatine and uneasy ... and the fact considering he surely must have had some experience from training with Palpatine as a Sith Assassin yet he was helpless the moment Palpatine trolled him and blasted him with Sith Lightning in a manner similar to Luke (well he probably was holding back hence he didn't apply a fully vamped up lethal dosage...)

But indeed - a 'resurrected' or 'returned' Mace Windu would do very very nicely in the Rebels Series or Episode 7 indeed :) Perhaps Mace Windu might even have developed a new way to counter Sith techniques or the nasty full vamped up barrage of Sith Lightning he was subject to ...

But still - with Palpatine - it seemed every one who got struck by him - so even Master Yoda and Galen Marek - the only ones who probably had the best chances of countering his Sith Lightning, next to himself ofc (then again one could give some credit to Palpatine being able to resist his own redirected Sith Lightning despite being 'physically weakened and scarred') and yet they all still suffered incredible amounts of agony - hardly anyone has been able to just stand there and 'tank it like a boss' which could have been pretty potential and cool ... and yet even Powerful Force Users suffered agony and pain at Sith Lightning ... or then again would you say it could be where Darth Plagueis (who ironically also met his end like this in the novel) commented when teaching Palpatine on Sith Lightning how a Sith must 'reject the compassion and accept consequence'... and that this way will they will then be able to 'tame an aspect of the Force' and claiming the Force - well the Dark Side is like a wild animal needing to be tamed to have its potential unleashed ... and that what Jedi can use as 'Force Lightning' was nothing more than a facsimile ...

But haha - an old friend of mine once was asked 'if he could have a Star Wars power ... what would it be?' You can guess what he chose :)

DarthTalonx likes this.
  5. jakobitis89

Jan 27, 2015
    Personally I don't want to start seeing Mace or any other masters returning not only because of the aforementioned emotional impact being lost but also because it devalues the whole story. If Mace somehow survives then it's just a matter of time before another writer who likes (for example) Plo Koon saying 'well, you only saw the ship blowing up... he could have escaped!', or Shaak Ti who we never actually saw die, or any other favourite Jedi Master is one of the (apparent) few who survived and suddenly Sidious' triumphant master plan goes from 'wiping Jedi from the face of the galaxy' to 'well at least Ki-Adi-Mundi definitely bought the farm'... until he turns out to be alive too.

Having Mace come back would be pointless frankly. The entire point was that he and the Jedi lost, completely. Did he go down easily? Kind of, given we've seen others fight of the Lightning before? COULD he have survived? Theoretically, sure. But SHOULD he? No. If Samuel L. Jackson really wants to come back so bad, give Kanan/Ezra/the Episode 7 heroes a flashback to the 'Republic Era' or maybe they can commune with force ghosts or something... but dead Jedi stay dead for me.

smoothkaz likes this.
  6. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    I almost feel like this thread should be closed. There really were no other Jedi to survive Order 66 except for those shown in Rebels and OT. There really is no hope for the other characters returning because of the change in canon. Mace Windu and others like him are never going to return past the PT.

7. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    One of the early versions of TFU had Starkiller hunting down fallen Jedi spirits. You come across Mace Windu's spirit that has been wandering the Coruscant underground for years.

Concept art from Amy Beth Christenson:

[​IMG]

Joanne2108 likes this.
  8. DarthTalonx

Nov 12, 2014
    That looks pretty epic! #BringBackWindu

9. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    I presume the fighting the Force spirits was carried over and would've been like seen in the Ultimate Sith Edition of the game, when the Stalker battles Kenobi.

10. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014

And he kills Kenobi Twice.

11. Jo B1 Kenobi

Jo B1 Kenobi Jedi Master star 2

Jul 3, 2014
    I always wondered if Mace survived, or any of the others. Yes, we do see them all being attacked, seemingly fatally, but loads of things which happen to Jedi seem to look fatal and yet they survive, e.g. Obi-wan leaping out of the window high in the 500 Republica building to grab a droid which had delivered poisonous caterpillers to Padme's bedroom (that sentence sounds so weird) and then getting the droid shot and falling for ages. Looks like certain death - but we're dealing with Jedi after all and so he survives and starts joking with Anakin about being late. Another example, also Kenobi, he get's blasted off a cliff face with huge weaponary on Utapau. There are huge pieces of the beautiful Boga raining down and he was sitting on Boga when Boga got hit and yet - he survives. Jedi, it seems, are very hard to kill.

That said, the music during the set of scenes where the Jedi are cut down with Order 66 seems to convey death and betrayal, not wounding and betrayal to me so I would be surprised if any of the Jedi we see being killed in the Order 66 bit do survive. I think that music was Lucas telling us that they died. :_|

Mace, however, is another matter. I think there's a very reasonable chance that he could survive. He is such a brillliant character - so strong and fierce in his defence of the Republic. I thought Stover did a great job with his book Shatterpoint (now a Legends novel) in defining Mace's character. He's also a character who, I would guess, might find it hard to adjust to things after the Republic was gone. His story after he falls from the Chancellor's office having lost his arm and been subjected to hate-filled force lightening would make a fantastic one-off movie. This really interests me. In fact, I might try to write some fan fiction on what could have happened.

DarthTalonx and fives_is_alive like this.
  12. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    It's possible Windu could have survived the fall, but it was made clear that he didn't. That last burst of Force lightening likely stopped his heart or at least rendered him unconscious, where after the impact of the fall would have killed him.

That concept art is interested, how and why would anyone hunt spirits, when theyre not corporeal? Windu cant duel him or otherwise engage him in combat if he's a ghost.

13. DarthTalonx

Nov 12, 2014
    Totally agree. Whilst I would love it if we saw a hot Aayla Secura come back, it does seem a poignant scene showing the betrayal of the Jedi Order and its sad fall.

But Mace is a different matter. It does seem quite possible he did survive. His character is a majestic Jedi who is loyal to the ideals of the Republic and it would be a magnificent story to see him conflicted about what was happening. The thing is he could either be in a movie about what he does immediately after being treated post ROTS or else, I quite like the idea of him returning for the new sequels, maybe in 8 and 9. Say he was found by a Coruscanti friendly to the Jedi - e.g. a Dex like character Obi Wan meets in AOTC. If Mace Windu was found by those friendly to the Order, they may have hidden and treated an unconscious Windu at their factory whilst the Emperor was making his speech in the Senate in ROTS. They could have him in a bacta tank to heal his extensive damage from the lightning and the fall. (After all Luke survived).

They might smuggle him offworld using an experimental prototype procedure known as carbon freezing that hadn't been tested yet and send him on a ship to a world known as Bespin. En route, the ship could be attacked by pirates. The crew decide to eject the frozen Jedi Master in an escape pod, to save him lest the ship be overrun. In the event, they manage to hold off the pirates. Maybe the ship gets boarded, or else the crew take a shuttle to abandon the big freighter. The frozen carbonite encasing Windu makes it to the surface of a planet in the escape pod. The planet is inhabited by a less technologically advanced species who then treat the carbonite as a deity.

The frozen Windu is discovered decades later by the New Jedi Order in Episode 8 and the Jedi Master of Old is unfrozen on the instructions of Luke and Yoda. Imagine a Windu coming to terms with what had happened and adjusting to the new Jedi. Also imagine the wealth of his experience and also maybe him not seeing eye to eye with relationships in the new order.

Could be awesome. I'm sure someone can make this story a lot better. Please pass it on to the writers for Episode 8!!!!

Joanne2108 likes this.
  14. PHIERY

PHIERY Jedi Master star 2

Feb 7, 2009
    I'm surprised no one has used carbon freezing as a way to bring back Mace. Yeah, I think carbon freezing and bacta should be used. Yep Mace frozen in carbonite for decades and then thawed out at the beginning of the new sequals. Carbon freezing definitely the way to go. Mace is dead. Palpatine beat him. Not only did mace die, he got 3 Jedi masters killed as well as mace being used as the bait for Anakin's turn.

DarthTalonx likes this.
  15. jakobitis89

Jan 27, 2015
    Jedi have survived being zapped with Sith lightning before. They have survived falls from great heights. They most certainly have survived having limbs cut off (Anakin lost the same hand 3 different times.) But surviving all three at once is probably a bit of a stretch given Palps was not holding back when he fried Mace, who (unlike Yoda) could not block/rechannel it without his lightsaber, which Anakin had taken out of the equation. Not to mention, people are assuming that even if he was alive when he got to the ground (big assumption, personally I don't see it but allowing for the chance) whoever found him/his body actually had any reason to save him. The lower levels are pretty much a hive, the lower you go the worse it gets. I figure the odds seem higher that people would just grab what they could and get the heck out. The Jedi aren't exactly popular anymore (thanks to Palps' propaganda efforts), and if you found a Jedi Master of all people with his hands hacked off and wracked in pain and badly injured, you'd start to wonder what a being that could do that to Samuel L. Motherf****** Jackson Mace freaking Windu could do to you... and not stick around to find out.

Iron_lord likes this.
  16. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014

Grab his lightsaber and sell it for money.[face_devil]

17. jakobitis89

Jan 27, 2015
    Actually not inconceivable once Order 66/the 'Jedi Rebellion' becomes common knowledge. If Mace WAS still alive then I can see certain elements of the Coruscant underworld selling him out if they thought money could be made.

18. PHIERY

Feb 7, 2009
    I still think carbon freezing is the way to go. It would be awesome to see Mace brought back to life after carbon freezing and bacta heeling. I'm surprised no one has thought of this and also talk about it in just about every post they make. So yeah, carbon freezing for sure.

19. Archie Brown

Archie Brown Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 11, 2015
    I believe that Shaak Ti was not killed by General Grievous! And I'm not sure with Mace Windu but he probably did survive even though there is no proof, because if Darth Maul survived Mace Windu did! Apart from Yoda and Obi-Wan I think they all died!

20. PHIERY

Feb 7, 2009
    I think carbon freezing is the way to go.... To bring him back to life.

21. DarthTalonx

Nov 12, 2014
    AGREED!! Someone pls pass this onto the writers. I am worried they will mess up the whole franchise!

Lol. I know. I was surprised. I reckon this is a novel way to go and it would be an awesome way to have a really cool Jedi in the new films. Plus it would an interesting dynamic as the Jedi Master of Old meets the New Order. There could be a difference of opinion on the best way forward. Plus purple blade makes a comeback!

It would be epic, and it would make it feel like a genuine saga. After all, it's nice to see the old characters younger in the prequels and vice versa.

22. PHIERY

Feb 7, 2009
    George Lucas should come out of retirement to direct "Mace Lives" trilogy. Also, Disney should have Mace star in the next "Frozen" movie. That would be so cool.

23. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    By Anakin during the Temple raid.

24. jakobitis89

Jan 27, 2015
    By Professor Plum, with the revolver, in the Library. And that is 100% canon FACT.

(Its really not.)

25. I Blame You

I Blame You Jedi Youngling

Apr 17, 2015

The idea of it being overall a tragedy but having a few against-all-odds survivors gives people hope and feelings of joy and stuff.

DARTHLINK likes this.