main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Did Marvel not think Star Wars was exciting enough?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DarthHomer, Feb 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    Hey, it looks like there hasn't been a Marvel comics topic for a while, so I'd thought I'd point out something that has always amused me.

I'm sure everyone who read the comics remembers how the covers to the Marvel adaptation of ANH had very little to do with the story inside.
    For example:
    [image=http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Trailer/7053/marv2.jpg]

Here's the full link to the first 6 issues, in case your memory needs refreshing.

Issue 3 is the only cover that's somewhat accurate to the film. I know cover artists always like to exaggerate how exciting the story inside is, but there was plenty of exciting stuff in the movie already, without changing it. I noticed that the ESB and ROTJ adaptations had more accurate covers, so I guess Lucas cracked down on them after ANH.

Anyway, just imagine what Star Wars would have been like if the film had been true to the comics covers:

Luke would have either saved the galaxy, or destroyed it! (huh?)

Ben and Luke would have sliced up dozens of aliens in the Cantina!

A giant Darth Vader would have attacked Luke and Leia as Obi-Wan drew his own saber!

The Death Star would have started attacking Yavin before Han even left!

Luke and Vader would have dueled on the surface of the Death Star, while Leia sat watching!

Now that would have been some film! :)

2. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Quite simply, no, they most likely didn't. Just like a number of studios passed on Lucas' quirky, pet project, Marvel most likely felt they had to jazz it up as well.

It's not anything limited/related to Star Wars at all. Comics allow for a lot of artistic license, which the comics industry has embraced from the very beginning. Frequently, covers have little, if anything to do with content inside.

It's also not only Marvel or even comics that do this. One only has to look at HoT to find such occurances. They got the Bothan wrong, for example - creating some interesting-looking alien and calling it a Bothan, even though it looked nothing like a Bothan. Now, because of such things, Bothans have major racial variations to their species.

3. JediStryker

JediStryker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 5, 2000
    Those are pretty funny...Luke looks like He-Man. I bet Mark wishes he had been that buff.

But that's something that comics do all the time.

4. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    Bothans have always been depicted difrently, even in modern EU.

5. Dagobah_Dude

Dagobah_Dude Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 9, 2001
    I could be remembering incorrectly, but didn't the Marvel comics show Jabba the Hutt sometime before ROTJ and they drew him as looking nothing like the character in the movie?

6. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Ya, that's nimbanel mosep, and employee of the Hutt. As an inuniverse continuity fix. Dan Wallace feels that is good fix.

7. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    Where does it say it's Mosep? Mosep is only one of several Nimbanel working for Jabba.

TC

8. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Dan Wallace was the one that locked onto mosep when I talked to him. All I mentioned was it being one of jabba' the hutts nimbanel employees, like how mosep is one, and he said ya I like that, He could be mosep as an incontinuity fix. Then he went onto say how he doesn't like to have any marvel stories original art or plotting get invalidated by later sources.

9. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    >Then he went onto say how he doesn't like to have any >marvel stories original art or plotting get invalidated by >later sources.

He must have hated ROTJ and TESB. You know what? I don't like grapefruit. Not a bit.

TC

10. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    Yeah, the fake Jabba in the comic was funny. I remember they did a story later on where Han and Chewie ran into him again.

11. Commander Antilles

Commander Antilles Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 21, 1999
    From what I recall in my old Marvel comics, Bothans weren't even aliens. They were simply humans from a particular planet or system, rather like Corellians are.

12. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    No, actually bothans were never shown in marvel(except for in two places, but they were made bothans retroactivily by dan wallace). The marvel bothans look alot like the WEG bothan art style.

13. Commander Antilles

Commander Antilles Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 21, 1999
    In "The search for Tay Vanis", which tells how the Rebels got hold of the plans for the second Death Star (a much better version of events than the SOTE one), Tay Vanis and Yom Argo, two human X-wing pilots, fled from planet to planet with the plans in an attempt to avoid the pursuit that was right on their heels. In the end, Vanis himself was captured and tortured by Vader until he lost his mind. Argo escaped though, and reached the Alliance. Luke, Leia, Lando and the droids were sent to track Vanis down. They recovered the plans from Vanis's droid, who had been given the plans by Vanis himself before his capture. As far as I can recall, Vanis and Argo were the Bothans alluded to in ROTJ.

14. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    They were not bothan species but humans couriers that worked to transfer the data for the bothans, that got ahold of a datacube that actually told a new death star was being made. Which lead into the events of SOTE to get the plans. (At least that's what the EU says now.) But the story never really said that two characters in the story were bothans themselves, just couriers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.