main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Did Natalie Portman play the Queen all the time?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by Antbert, Aug 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Antbert

Antbert Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 1, 2001
    I was looking at this Lucasfilm Jedi Council article and this got me wondering.

Natalie played Padmé Amidala and Kiera Knightley was Sabé.

For those scenes where Natalie was Padmé, did Kiera play the Queen? Or via bluescreen, was Natalie the Queen and also Padmé?

I'm so confused!

2. qui-gon-kim

qui-gon-kim Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2001
    When Padme (Natalie) is at the Queen's side or the Tatooine scenes when Padme is away from the ship, Kiera is the Queen. In every other scene, Natalie plays the Queen.

3. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Keira Knightley is the sexiest tomboy beanpole on the planet.

/ obligatory

Rick McCallum loves you!

4. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    No not all the time. ;)

5. The_Anakin_Wannabe

The_Anakin_Wannabe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2003
    When the queen is looking really attractive, then it's Sabe, when she's not, it's Padme.

I think you'll find that whenever there is danger, Sabe is playing the role of the queen.

6. KosmicKnine

KosmicKnine Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    From the beginning of the movie, Padmé was the Queen up until the droid army was leading the Queen and company to an isolation camp. Sabé was in the possition of Queen the entire time from walking down the stairs in that solid black dress with huge black headdress where she says, "I will not cooperate," all the way through the group getting to Coruscant. The next outfit that the Queen was in was the tan and whitish number, that was Padmé. Padmé remained dressed up as Queen from then until they landed back on Naboo and disembarked the ship. Sabé then took back over the guise of being queen while Padmé returned to being dressed as a handmaiden. Padmé then took back to dressing as the Queen for the final celebration in the streets of Theed.

[image=http://www.theforce.net/multimedia/archive/Images/Episode_1/Characters/Padme_Amidala/t-queenamidala2.jpg] [image=http://www.theforce.net/multimedia/archive/Images/Episode_1/Characters/Padme_Amidala/t-queenamidala.jpg] [image=http://www.theforce.net/multimedia/archive/Images/Episode_1/Characters/Padme_Amidala/img0044.jpg] [image=http://www.theforce.net/multimedia/archive/Images/Episode_1/Characters/Padme_Amidala/qac-08.jpg] [image=http://www.theforce.net/multimedia/archive/Images/Episode_1/Characters/Padme_Amidala/jedi6.jpg] [image=http://www.theforce.net/multimedia/archive/Images/Episode_1/Characters/Padme_Amidala/qac-10.jpg]
    The above are Padmé.

[image=http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/sabe/img/movie_bg.jpg] [image=http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/sabe/img/curve.jpg]
    The above are Sabé.

7. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    It's pretty amazing how much they look alike. I kept thinking of Natalie when I saw Pirates. They're both very, very attractive.

8. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I know what you mean about POTC. I was disturbed by how much Kiera reminded me of Natalie.

-sj loves kevin spacey

9. Wampa_Joe

Wampa_Joe Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 3, 2001
    I may be a TPM basher, but there's one thing that both bashers and gushers can agree on....

Kiera Knightley = Schwing!

10. SobiFan

SobiFan Jedi Youngling star 3

May 7, 2003
    haha. You are all funny. I have liked Keira / Sabé since 2000. And now everyone is like OMG Keira!!!! and I was like OMG Keira before you. :p

11. The_Anakin_Wannabe

Jan 21, 2003
    Seriously, I knew of Keira since TPM. So I beat you! :p It's just now that she's become of legal age :D

12. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Sobi, now you know how I feel when all the girls start screaming about Ewan and I have to slap them and say "Blast it, I've been a Ewan fan since 97, BEFORE anyone knew he was in SW!!! AHHHHRRRRGGG!!!"

;)

-sj loves kevin spacey

13. Antbert

Antbert Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 1, 2001
    Looking at the pictures af the queen with the white make just reminded me about clowns on the Discworld!

Thanks everybody, for the response btw.

14. 6-6-6

6-6-6 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 24, 2002
    I just noticed how completely over-the-top and absotively posilutely rediculous the Queen's costumes are. They do not fit in with Star Wars in any way, shape, or form, and look like hand-me-downs from the Flash Gordon era.

15. KosmicKnine

KosmicKnine Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    They do not fit in with Star Wars in any way, shape, or form,...

By the notation of "Star Wars" in the above statement, are you specifically referencing the OT? Because if you're referencing all of Star Wars, they have a place because they're just flat out part of the Star Wars saga. If you are indeed referencing just the OT, well of course they don't look like something OT characters would wear. Not only is Amidala a queen in TPM and thus would wear something nearly everyone else wouldn't wear, but there's also this little thing called time that passes between the PT and the OT. Fashion changes over time, so it would make sense for people of the OT to wear different clothing than those in the PT.

...and look like hand-me-downs from the Flash Gordon era.

And Flash Gordon didn't by any chance effect GL in his decision to make Star Wars did it? <gasp> I think indeed it did.

16. The_Anakin_Wannabe

Jan 21, 2003
    Agreed. The PT is showing how rich, diverse and beautiful the Republic was. Looking at Padme's outfits, you can tell that she is part of a rich and powerful society. Then look at the OT, where 20 years under a dictator have completely destroyed the cultures and everybody is wearing the same scrappy clothes. It's the perfect contrast.

17. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    They do not fit in with Star Wars in any way, shape, or form, and look like hand-me-downs from the Flash Gordon era.

[face_laugh] I think one of us needs to do a little research into GL's influences when making SW in the first place.

Rick McCallum loves you!

18. Dev_Binks

Dev_Binks Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 7, 2003
    I have a question did either Natalie or keira like haveing to wear their costumes'?

19. The_Anakin_Wannabe

Jan 21, 2003
    I think I read somewhere that one of them, I think it was Natalie, said she did enjoy them. I think Keira would have liked them aswell.

20. Dev_Binks

Dev_Binks Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 7, 2003
    that's interesting but eh if I was getting paid a lot of money and acting in a SW movie I'd probably put up with em.

21. JediMasterKitFisto

JediMasterKitFisto Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 27, 2002
    I can actually tell those pictures apart :eek:

22. Denny

Denny Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 29, 2001
    the easier ways to tell one from the other are: the eyebrows and the height.

- Keira Knightley is taller than Natalie Portman

- Natalie Portman's eyebrows are thicker. (at least in TPM - today Keira's eyebrows are ok :p )

23. JohnWilliams00

JohnWilliams00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    I can tell that your icon is definitely Keira. I'm good!

24. Denny

Denny Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 29, 2001

"I can tell that your icon is definitely Keira. I'm good!"

You sure are, I only knew it was Keira because of the subtitle under the icon when I first saw it - for a moment I thought it was Nat.

25. Oryx-I

Oryx-I Force Ghost star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Keira's jaw is a little bigger too but she's certainly very good looking, just not in a Natalie way.
    But I guess it's not so bad to be the second best looking girl in the world...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.