main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Did Obi-Wan adjust well?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darth-DeathStick, Dec 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crazy_wizard

crazy_wizard Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 26, 2004
    Sorry to bring up an old topic, but if Obi-Wan did go into town faily often, how did he get money?
    I've entertained the idea that Bail gave him some money before they split, but I doubt this.
    Any thoughts on this?

2. ENIGMA2006

ENIGMA2006 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2006
    As everyone else suggests, I think he did a lot of meditating (sp?) and soul searching. I want to read some of the books. I think it would be cool if someone (aka Zahn ) wrote a series about it.

3. chopman

chopman Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 17, 2005
    Mind tricks? The same way he got around in ANH.

4. chopman

chopman Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 17, 2005
    Seriously? In the Star Wars universe you think Yoda would stick out?

5. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    Personally, I'd rather see Luceno or Stover write it than Zahn.

6. JediStarKiller2

JediStarKiller2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 5, 2006
    Whats wrong with Zahn??? Why doesn't anyone like his book? besides the hot chocolate reference in Heir to the Force!?

I must read that book about Obi after episode 3...i think I'll go buy it.

7. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    I tend to prefer the portrayal of Force Powers in Luceno and Stover's writing over that of Zahn's where Luke and Mara take multiple pages to take down a Droideka. I also prefer the fact that most blatently in the Revenge of the Sith novel but to a lesser extent in others, he used the mythical overtones and didn't turn it into a military sci-fi book.

8. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Obi-wan had obtained Outer Rim/Hutt controlled currency, after flying to Nar Shadda and selling Grievous' fighter. The funds were used to get to Tatooine and get set up. Any future money he obtained, he probably did by doing odds and ends. Perhaps playing an occassional game of Sabacc (sp).

9. JediStarKiller2

JediStarKiller2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 5, 2006
    He soulda got hitched..no one would have known. I can't imagine growing old by yuorself on a crappy desert planet being labelled a hermit.

Did he ever communicate with Yoda via their minds? or anything...maybe through talking to Qui Gon?

Because Yoda says he will teach him to talk to Qui Gon...but then they depart for their planets and never talk again? I wonder if he ever visited Yoda for some tea???

10. PadawanFaye

PadawanFaye Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2006
    Definitely Obi-Wan did lots of communing with Qui-Gon. Maybe it only takes a few minutes to learn how to do it from someone who already knows how?
    Since Jedi are forbidden possessions and attachments, their living quarters are probably pretty ascetic. And conditions during the Outer Rim seiges were hardy pleasant--watch the Clone Wars animated series. Obi-Wan was probably pretty used to unpleasant living conditions.
    A Jedi wouldn't use mind tricks for something like money, unless they were starving. It's unethical, and probably against the Jedi Code. Jedi are supposed to be selfless.

11. correlliangal

correlliangal Jedi Youngling

May 27, 2005
    I honestly thought that Jedi lived kinda like monks. You know vows of poverty and all that. I mean he met up with Qui Gon while helping the galaxy's poor (EU ref.)and one usually doesn't wear Prada to a soup kitchen.

I would think his main adjustment would be the heat. For Pete's Sake 1/2 of Corosuant is a city and most likely has A/C.. And those robes look like the might chafe just a bit in the heat, oh and the sand in the socks/jockeys could bug the heck out of anyone!

I wonder what SPF you would need for Tatooine Sunblock?

12. JarJarPlagueis

JarJarPlagueis Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 24, 2005
    Of course they talk! When the topic of training Luke came up in ESB, Obi-Wan says, "We spoke of this before." Either he's referring to the conversation from the ROTS novel, or they communicated. They had equivalents of our phones in the GFFA. Whose to say that Obi-Wan and Yoda didn't stay connected through a family plan? [face_pig]

13. JarJarPlagueis

Dec 24, 2005
    Really??? Then perhaps you can explain Qui-Gonn (1) lying to Watto about the pod being his, when it really belonged to Watto (if Anakin owned it, and Watto owned Anakin, then ergo it was owned by Watto), (2) using The Force to manipulate the chance cube, (3) using The Force to help Anakin during the race, and (4) unsuccessfully using The Force to influence Watto into trading for Republic credits, even after Watto states that they're "no good out here?"

14. ChestRockwell

ChestRockwell Jedi Youngling star 2

May 9, 2004
    When fighting Vader on the DS he did look very shaky at times holding his saber trying to defend himself as it looked like the power was low. Had he drank earlier he would not of shook so its Clear that Obi was an Alkie.

Would also explain why he looks 75 when he should be around 60.. alcoholism ages people and a Jedi is no exception.

15. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I think it's worth noting that Obi-Wan was at the peak of his powers as a Jedi when ROTS came along. To abruptly lose all you've had, and more importantly, lose the ability to openly be that which you are one of the best in the galaxy at (a Jedi) is highly difficult.

16. jedibri

jedibri Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2000
    As with anything Kenobi did he approached it as a job. He knew he was to look over Luke. But, when Yoda told him he had training for him I think it really took on a job form to him.

17. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Qui-gon lied because Anakin's not even supposed to have the podracer in the first place. Much less be building one without Watto's consent. He'd be seriously punished and prevented from taking part in the Boonta Eve. Qui-gon used the Force on the chance cube, because he knew that Watto would not be honest. That he would have rigged the cube. Anytime someone says, "I just happen to have a..." don't trust them. It's a con. Get an unbiased person to take care of things. Anakin was already using the Force to race. All he did was tell him how to apply it, which is not wrong at all. A Jedi uses the Force to influence others if it can yeild the best results. It's not always effective, but it comes in handy.

18. Jedi-Queen

Jedi-Queen Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 16, 2005
    The life of a Jedi is not exactly wine and roses.
    As QGJ said "it's a hard life".
    I am sure Obi-Wan is used to being in more uncomfortable
    situations than being in a cave on Tatooine.
    I'd say watching over Luke and attuning himself to the
    living force was much more on his mind than his meager dwelling.

19. JarJarPlagueis

Dec 24, 2005
    I know why he lied and I have no problem with it. I'm just pointing out that Qui-Gonn was behaving immorally by some people's standards. In my opinion, the true fault of Qui-Gonn was that he wasn't sensitive enough to what was right. He should have forced, tricked, or bartered Watto into releasing Shmi too. Things would have been very different for the galaxy had he done so... :)

20. AnakinLuver

AnakinLuver Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 13, 2006
    I think Obi-wan had to adjust, but was kind of used to hard living... he did go on many missions during the Clone Wars that needed roughing out instead of living in luxury... He had to adjust physically, but he mostly went to Mos Eisley to get supplies and go to the Cantina's to get the latest news...

He also had to adjust mentally and emotionally... it is said that Obi drank a lot because he was depressed, which I believe to the most part... Obi-wan didn't know Anakin was still alive as Darth Vader until he saw it on the news... big shock... and when he went to check on Luke? I bet he could just see Anakin in those eyes... ugh... had to be very difficult for him...

Rachel Rose@};-

21. Blackout

Blackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2000
    Anyone else get the idea that Yoda and Ben ended up using Qui-Gon as a spiritual equivalent of MSN? :p A few months after Yoda and Obi-Wan have gone over the finer points of post-mortal-identity-retention, Qui-Gon's visits probably degenerated to:

Obi-Wan: Master Qui-Gon, ask Yoda if he watched Eastenders last night!
    Qui-Gon: *sigh* alright then...
    \\\ whoosh ///
    Qui-Gon: Master Yoda, Obi-Wan wants to know if you watched 'Stenders last night?
    Yoda: Ah, Master Qui-Gon! Yes, watch it I did! Up to no good is that Ian Beale, hmm?
    Qui-Gon: *sigh*
    \\\ whoosh ///
    Qui-Gon: Yes he did, he reckons Ian Beale is going to come a cropper. [face_plain]
    Obi-Wan: More than likely, Master, yes :p I'm off down Wuher's tonight, he's having a lock-in! What you up to?
    Qui-Gon: Me, Obi-Wan?
    Obi-Wan: No, sorry mate, not you - Yoda. I imagine you're just being dead and that aren't you?
    Qui-Gon: Obi-Wan, what 'exactly' has all this to do with expanding your knowledge of the Living Force?
    Obi-Wan: Oh, cut me some slack mate! It's doing my head in living on my own! :( I'm used to being in constant contact with the greatest philosophers the galaxy has ever seen; next thing you know, my best mate's deep-fried, my other mates are dead or hiding, and I'm living in the middle of nowhere with no internet! Jawas stink, Sandpeople stink... even Wuher stinks - but at least he's running a bar. In the meanwhile, I'd like to catch up with the only other living Jedi I can make any sort of contact with... if you're not too busy? o_O
    Qui-Gon: ...sheesh, sorry 'Grum-Pi Wan' :p Do you want to add K'Kruhk to your list of contacts?
    Yoda: Hmmph, on my list he is. Blocked me, I think he has. [face_frustrated]

etc etc...

In a way it serves Qui-Gon right for going with Netherworld XP. If he'd waited a few months he could've beta-tested Netherworld Vista and set up automated messaging for the pair of them.

{||||| ?||} ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

22. Darth-Chimerus

Darth-Chimerus Jedi Youngling star 1

May 5, 2005
    Ha! That was hilarious

23. exar-tull

exar-tull Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 22, 2001
    seconded[face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]

24. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    [face_laugh]

That was great blackout!

25. Han-my-boogie

Han-my-boogie Jedi Youngling star 1

May 27, 2005
    He would've adjusted well. As others have said he was used to the hardships of living away during the Clone Wars. In addition I imagine the accommodation at the Jedi temple to have been modest with only a futon and some Tatami mats, and a mess hall where those who were in, ate. He accepted his lot in life and made the best out of a hard situation. He was a man following the will of the force in a remote outpost. Moreover the ANH special edition shows that Obi-wan built for himself a rather nice digs up on the plateau. As Sinister pointed out he initially made some money in the sale of Grievous' ship which helped him set up his 'new home.' In the following years it is most likely that he put his mechanical skills to good use and fixed up speeders and so forth to be re-sold. For general supplies and info, the spaceports, although rough would have provided all he needed. And I'm sure goods and services were much cheaper than overpriced Coruscant! I imagine that he spent the majority of his time in exile deep in meditation, studying the living force and communing with Qui-Gon. His Midi Chlorian count was lower than Yoda's so I believe it may have taken him some years before he could clearly tune into the living force. Only a serious mind could have achieved this, that is why, any alcohol would've been strictly off his agenda. Obi-wan knew what he had to do and he did it the only way he knew how: gracefully.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.