main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Did Obi Wan burn down the Homestead on Tatooine, killing Luke's Aunt and Uncle?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DarthTalonx, Feb 20, 2018.

?

Did Obi Wan destroy the Homestead to get Luke to join him?

1. You may be onto something

8 vote(s)
    16.0%
  2. From my point of view the Jedi are evil

16 vote(s)
    32.0%
  3. More likely a rogue unit of the Empire

25 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. Jabba's people did it

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthTalonx

DarthTalonx Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2014
    1. It was the reason Luke decided to train to become a Jedi and leave Tatooine.
    2. Did Obi Wan attempt to reason with Owen and Beru that he needed Luke now, having sensed in the Force events unfolding? Did he see no choice, or perhaps things got out of hand, and Obi Wan thought it best to use this to turn Luke on the Empire?
    3. Note Obi Wan telling things from a certain point of view. And how he made no attempt to join Luke to rush back, perhaps knowing no Imperials would be present.
    4. As for the Jawa attack, did the Tuskens try to frame Imperial troopers? Or did the Empire take out a group of rogue Jawa traders, involved in seizing droids like R2D2/C3PO that didn't belong to them, and attempting to sell defective droids with bad motivators to unsuspecting customers (that red droid originally sold to Owen before it had a short circuit)?
    5. All hypothetical and maybe humorous alternative. But was it really the Empire? On Tatooine, they are shown to be orderly and not shoot unless required in later scenes.

2. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
  3. DarthZ07

DarthZ07 Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 11, 2005
  4. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    It’s definitly just the empire.

5. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Haven't you kids seen TROOPS?

6. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    They do not know the classics.

7. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
  8. MisterJedi2002

MisterJedi2002 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 17, 2017
  9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Hey, Chris Terrio! JJ told you not to post on TFN the big twist of Episode IX! LFL lawyers are incoming for YOUR homestead (ie. your bank account)

10. Encuentro

Encuentro Jedi Master star 2

Aug 8, 2013
    There's a weird alternate universe fan fiction story in there somewhere.

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Until you put in “humorous alternative” and added a few humorous comments, I thought you were trolling.

But no...the OT is straightforward.

The Empire is bad. The Rebel Alliance is good.

And the Empire just sent its only stormtroopers who can shoot straight, for the purpose of finding Darth Vader’s introverted stepbrother and his wife.

Plus, even incompetent stormtroopers would find their competence after being talked to death by 3PO, and the Empire knew it.

12. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    What everyone above said: The Imperial stormtroopers obviously did it.

Additionally, the EU/Legends features a story during which Vader recognizes Owen and Beru. Part of his rationale for their execution was his perception that they were too inept to save his late mother from the Sand People. It is an illustration of how dark and twisted Vader had become.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  13. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    ...but entirely conjectural. Vader delegated the Death Star plan retrieval mission to Commander Praji "See to it personally" and later (still) relied on reports from Tatooine, according to the deleted scene with Commander Number One ('Bast'):

COMMANDER
    We’ve started to search the spaceport at Mos Eisley. It’s just a matter of time before we’ve found the droids.

VADER
    Send in more men if you have to. It’s her hope of that data being used against us that is the pillar of her resistance to the mind probe.

[​IMG]

Even in hindsight, there's no reason to assume he was somehow personally involved with the deaths of Owen and Beru Lars, IMHO.

As Vader (and with Anakin 'dead') he had left everything behind - until he had met and fought Luke in ESB.

Bob the X-Winger likes this.
  14. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    It depends on the individual's headcanon. Given what the atrocities we've seen him commit or oversee in both Legends and the new canon, I wouldn't put it past him. As repellent as Vader was, it is his complexity and contradictions that make him interesting.

Darth Caliban likes this.
  15. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    Interesting thought, but no, I don't think that's what happened, even after watching AOTC. Anakin would have shown some anger at the Lars's right THEN when he returned from the Tusken. He went as far as blaming Obi-Wan, but never hinted at faulting the Lars family. "These are good people Padmé". In AOTC there is no evidence his attitude towards them had changed after he found his mother. So Vader as a Sith probably cared even less. Still I wouldn't discount that possibility completely.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
    Lt. Hija likes this.
  16. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    Why isn't "8-}" and option to vote for?

17. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    He did show anger by giving them the silent treatment. However, I believe he was traumatized by Shmi's passing, as well as his recent slaughter of the Tusken Raiders. At any rate, my opinion was influenced by When the Desert Wind Turns: A Stormtrooper's Tale and the aforementioned sources. After all, in the old EU, Vader refused to set foot on Tatooine ever again due to the pain associated with his mother's death. However, in the new canon, Vader is depicted as slaughtering Tusken Raiders once again, and it's possible that his emotions and anger over Palpatine sending him to personally negotiate with Jabba on Tatooine caused his temper to become more volatile.

But, anyway, we can all agree that Obi-Wan did not burn down the homestead nor incinerate Beru and Owen. That's just absurd.

18. CLee

CLee Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 18, 2017
    A less drastic but still dark interpretation is that Obi-Wan much earlier suspected or sensed the Larses were in danger, would be attacked but didn't bring Luke home sooner so that the attack wouldn't be prevented.

19. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    What if Obi-want was the one that planted the tracked on the Falcon? It completely goes against his allegiances, alignment, and character, but it could have happened.

20. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    Now that you mentioned it...each time Obi-Wan is in Vader's vicinity in ANH Vader suddenly becomes ineffective or doesn't finish his job. "I feel a presence" ... and walks away. "The Force is strong with this one"...poor excuse for bad marksmanship. And don't even remind me of the lightsaber duel with this vanishing act...I've seen better theatrical performances elsewhere... :p

21. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Good lord...

22. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    I always thought it was the Empire who killed them. :p

23. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    I was joking! =((

24. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    If Jedi dogma is supposed to be upheld then it would have made more sense for Obi-Wan to have torched Owen and Beru at the end of ROTS . Then moved into their home where he could raise Luke as a Jedi from birth, constantly reminding him that attachments to his father's step brother and his wife would have been the path to the darkside and that murdering them then and there was the best thing for the galaxy.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  25. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Their deaths propelled Luke to learn the ways of the Force, as Obi-Wan insisted. But Obi-Wan had nothing to do with their deaths, obviously.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.