main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Did Obi-Wan have the right to defy Anakin in front of Padme?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by ST-TPM-ASF-TNE, Jul 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    When Anakin and Obi-Wan first meet Padme, Anakin says they will find out who is trying to kill her. Obi-Wan says they will not go against their mandate, and this leads to a small argument where Anakin defies Obi-Wan, then Obi-Wan defies Padme.

However, in your opinion, was it right for Obi-Wan to do this. Anakin defies his master because he wished to help Padme. Obi-Wan defied Anakin in front of Padme because it was not Anakin's place. But I think Obi-Wan was a little too harsh when he did it to Anakin. He obviously must have known how Anakin was about Padme, and he knew he was nervous. Ultimately Obi-Wan embarassed Anakin in front of the women he loves.

But I also have to say I think Obi-Wan was right to do. Anakin didn't know his rightful place, and defying a master is probally not something to shine in the master's eyes. Obi-Wan obviously learned this in TPM.

So basically I'm split on the issue. How perverse...

ST

2. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
    Here...want some Corona to forget about your confusion? :)

EDIT: And Obi-Wan isn't Anakin's master FOR NOTHING. ;)

3. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    No thanks, I'm a scotch man ;)

ST

4. SmoovBillyDee

SmoovBillyDee Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 2, 2002
    Obi-Wan had every right to correct his Padawan. Anakin had no place going against what his master had said, no matter how pure his intentions. And, as implied by Obi-Wan's statement, they had already been through that situation once before. Anakin didn't learn the first time and fully deserved the reprimand.

5. BIG_BEN

BIG_BEN Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 2002
  6. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    LEIA
    Well, yes.

7. Jovieve

Jovieve Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2002
    Had it been Anakin's first time, no. It would be very bad form for Obi-Wan to have dressed him down publicly.

But since it looks like this is Anakin's 6-60th time to do this to Obi-Wan, he is WELL within his authority and rights to dress him down, remind him of his place and re-take control of the situation (it is Obi-Wan who is in charge as the master and he needs his position obvious and asserted).

Anakin is lucky Obi-Wan didn't send him to wait outside (like Qui-Gon did to Obi-Wan in TPM when he disagreed with him in front of Anakin).

THAT would have chapped Anakin's Chosen a-- for sure.

8. EnforcerSG

EnforcerSG Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2001
    Um, Obi had every right in the GFFA to try to 'defy Anakin.' Maybe if Anakin hardly ever broke or bent the rules, then maybe OBi was too harsh, but given how arrogant Anakin is, and that he still breaks and bends rules later, Obi was not hard enough.

My first thought of this thread was like a teenager saying to his parrent "Dont embarise me in front of my girl friend." Or something like that.

9. RagnarRocker

RagnarRocker Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 27, 2002
    Jovieve, i'm stumped, i don't remember the part you're talking about with Qui-Gon making Obi-Wan wait outside. When was it?

10. DANA28

DANA28 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 15, 2002
    I really did not like this scene because he could've just given him that look. No wonder he hated him in the end.

11. Jedi_Leia

Jedi_Leia Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 26, 2002
    Are you referring to the part where Qui-Gon told Obi-Wan to get on board the ship, right before the midichlorean (sp?) speech?

12. OB3

OB3 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 11, 2002
    "You will learn your place young one!"
    Let me answer that in Watto style:
    "No he wonta!"

13. Jovieve

Jovieve Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2002
    RagnarRocker - Jedi_leia is correct.

The scene on the landing platform in TPM where Obi-Wan is arguing with Qui-Gon ("the boy is dangerous, they all sense it, why can't you?")...Qui-Gon replies, irritated and annoyed with Obi-Wan, "The Council will decide Anakin's future. That should be enough for you. Now get on board."

A very reluctant Obi-Wan turns away, shoots Anakin a quick look, then goes on board the ship.

P.S. Obi-Wan is not defying Anakin. Anakin defied Obi-Wan. He is just responding.

14. JediLord

JediLord Jedi Master star 4

Oct 15, 2000
    You know when Obi says to Anakin, "You will learn your place, young one." ?

Awesome line.

15. RagnarRocker

RagnarRocker Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 27, 2002
    Wow, i never noticed that before! That was brutal. Obi-Wan was totally dissed in front of the boy.

16. jedi-girl

jedi-girl Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2000
    ST I am confused by your question, "did Obi-wan have the right to defy Anakin in front of Padme?" -- shouldn't that be reversed? -"did Anakin have the right to defy Obi-wan in front of Padme?" ...Either way Anakin was out of line questioning Obi-wan's authority. Anakin is still a padawan learner. I doubt it is the first time he has questioned Obi-wan's decision in public ...even if Anakin had been right about pursuing an investigation, that discussion should have been held privately.

I thought this scene was important to show Anakin's recklessness and impatience - and show that the relationship between Anakin and Obi-wan has some rifts.

17. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    Anakin is Obi-Wan's subordinate. Because Anakin defied Obi-Wan in front of others, it was correct for Obi-Wan to reassert his authority in front of these same people. Had Obi-Wan merely glared at Anakin but reprimanded him privately, it would have given the impression that Obi-Wan considered Anakin an equal and that Anakin spoke for the Jedi council when this is clearly not the case. There's also the matter that Anakin was giving Padme false information about the Jedi's intentions in the matter, something Obi-Wan needed to correct.

18. Mateo

Mateo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 22, 2001
    The fact that Anakin Skywalker is a fully grown 19 yr old man gives him the right to go against anyone or anything,he has Free Will he can use it, Obi-Wan has no right to give him orders only advice.

19. jedi-girl

jedi-girl Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2000
    Mateo, yes he does...the Jedi Order can be compared to the military, where superior officers have the right and obligation to make decisions that affect subordinates. The decision of superior officer, in this case, Obi-wan, should be respected and followed. Again, if Anakin disagrees he should do so privately rather than publicly defy Obi-wan.

It is absurd to think otherwise, especially when the Jedi depend upon teamwork for survival. Although teamwork is one of Anakin's challenges ;)

20. Jenkwombat

Jenkwombat Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 23, 2001

Well, Anakin *did* defy Obi-Wan in front of the others, challenging his authority and questioning his decisions.

Anakin definately has an attitude problem and seems to blame Kenobi for everthing that bothers him in life.

21. Durwood

May 18, 2002
    The fact that Anakin Skywalker is a fully grown 19 yr old man gives him the right to go against anyone or anything,he has Free Will he can use it, Obi-Wan has no right to give him orders only advice.

With a mindset like that, you must find it hard to keep a decent job.

There is a definite order to things despite all humans having the ability to choose their actions. Yes, Anakin has freewill, and he foolishly exercised it by choosing to publically defy his superior.

When it comes to freewill, I think "Just because you can doesn't mean you should" is sound advice to follow.

22. Falls_the_Shadow

Falls_the_Shadow Jedi Youngling star 3

May 31, 2002
    Obi-Wan had every right to pull rank and he would have abandoned his duty if he did not put the brakes on Anakin, especially because Anakin is acting upon his lovesick thoughts and is arrogant as ever. Beyond Anakin's usual arrogance, it sounded as if he had already questioned the narrow limits of the mandate. Obi-Wan could see that Anakin declared the intent to investigate to force Obi-Wan.

If Anakin had given me that defiant "why" line, he would have needed that artificial arm MUCH earlier in the film. Good thing I don't carry a lightsaber, no? ;)

23. Durwood

May 18, 2002
    It also seems that based on Obi-Wan's shock that Anakin has never defied him in quite this way. Obi-Wan seemed genuinely surprised when Anakin defiantly demanded to know why. I don't think Obi-Wan was quite prepared for such defiance coming from his Padawan, so he may have overreacted a tad, but he was in no way unjustified in his reaction.

24. Dark_Force

Dark_Force Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2002
    No need for me to say anything, Durwood said it all. :)

25. naw ibo

naw ibo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 18, 1999
    It also seems that based on Obi-Wan's shock that Anakin has never defied him in quite this way. Obi-Wan seemed genuinely surprised when Anakin defiantly demanded to know why.

It's in the dialogue that this isn't the first time that Anakin has done this. They've been through this "exercise" before. Obi-Wan's "What?" is given because Anakin is STILL defying him even after he his first minor reprimand in that scene. So, I think you are right in that sense, Anakin has done this before, but he's pushing it even further than before. Which if anything justifies Obi-Wan's reaction even further.

So yes, as it's happened before, probably on more than one occassion AND Anakin is apparently pushing it even further than usual, Obi-Wan most certainly did the right thing. Actually if anything he was showing alot of patience under the circumstances. He could have not only done what he did but then proceeded to make, as Jovieve suggested, Anakin leave the room and still been perfectly within the proper reaction. If anything he was a little soft on Anakin considering the size of Anakin's disrespect in that scene.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.