main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Did Obi-Wan know that Anakin survived after ROTS?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Matthew78, Aug 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Davi

Darth_Davi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 29, 2005
    First, I never said all Jedi can feel every death...here is what I wrote, that you misread:

We can also state that in certain circumstances, Jedi can sense the deaths of those close to them, or en masse, as is the case with Alderaan.

Nobody was closer to Obi-Wan than Anakin was. He would have felt Anakin's death, while he wouldn't have felt the deaths of the Jedi during Order 66. He didn't have the same bond with those Jedi as he did with Anakin.

He doesn't know Anakin became evil? Uh, WHAT? You think he went to Mustafar because he was feeling rusty and just wanted a quick sparring session? He saw the video of Anakin slaughtering the Jedi in the Temple prior to hitchhiking with Padme to Mustafar, I would classify that as knowing Anakin turned evil. I don't know what standards for good and evil you are using, but, I would classify slaughtering children with your lightsaber as evil, and I would classify seeing the videotape of the action as knowing he turned evil.

Even if its 20 minutes, an hour, or a week, Obi-Wan never senses Anakin's death. You are also asking a Jedi Master to simply assume. You want Kenobi to assume that because the single most potent Force user in the entire galaxy is burning, that he will die...no way. Anakin isn't dead until there

2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    What proof is there that Obi-wan didn't share a strong bond with the other Jedi in the Order? He was close to Yoda and he may have been close to Mace. Yet he didn't know until he was told and then returned to the Temple. I also mentioned that Yoda wasn't sure how many other Jedi were dead either, hence changing the beacon from "Come home" to "Run and hide". And he's the one who trained almost everyone in the Temple, at one point. Hell, Vader wasn't even convinced that Obi-wan was dead, when he vanished in ANH. He stomped on his cloak to be sure this wasn't a trick.

I'm not talking about then. I'm talking about while he was on Utapau, after he killed Grievous. He didn't sense Anakin's turn. He didn't sense Anakin's emotional pain then or three years earlier.

First, you're using the fan rule of "I don't see the body, it isn't true." That's something fans use in real life. It's a little different when you're a fictional character and not aware of such a rule. Second, Obi-wan does just that...assume. He assumes that the fire will kill Anakin, one way or another. It's that way in the film, in the novelization, the script, Lucas' commentary and in the eu. In "Dark Lord", which has been tossed around a bit, Obi-wan's shocked to find out that Vader is alive. He didn't sense him in the Force on Polis Massa, Alderaan, Nar Shadda and Tatooine. It took a holorecording of Vader to let him know that he was alive.

How can Yoda tell Obi-wan? They're not telepathic, per say. They're actually empathic. Empaths are beings who can sense strong emotional chords within another living being. They sense the thoughts and interpet what it is they're feeling. So Yoda cannot send out a telepathic heads-up. We also don't know how far their range is. They didn't sense Vader's rage at Padme's death. Hell, Vader didn't even know she had died. He was going by what he had felt earlier. Not right then. Now, as to Yoda seeing Luke in the Force, he is looking through the Force for Luke. He's not looking for Vader. Like Obi-wan, he's assuming that Vader is pushing up the daisies. In fact, he's even more cut off from the

3. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Qui-Gon is their news.

Also, we know that Yoda cannot send a telepathic heads-up because that's why the Jedi needed the beacon.

4. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    If Qui-gon doesn't tell Yoda that Palpatine is Sidious, that the Clone Army cannot be trusted and Anakin killed a bunch of Tuskens in vengeance, he's not going to tell them about Vader being alive. Sure, he does in the eu, but we know where that path goes.

5. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    So Qui-Gon is utterly useless to the Jedi and tells them nothing?

6. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    He teaches them how to retain their identities and that it's probably best to let the children grow up in families. Otherwise, that's pretty much it.

7. Rossa83

Rossa83 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2005
    Did QG tell Yoda and OBW that they should let the children grow up in families? I just thought that it was Yoda who decided that it was better to prolong things - that's how the movies explain it...

8. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    I just quickly looked through the back of the novel and I don't see anything in there about Qui-Gon telling Yoda to have the twins raised by the Larses and Organas.

9. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Ah, yes. I just double checked. Well, then that's all he taught Yoda and Obi-wan then. How to become ghosts. Seriously, like I said, if Qui-gon doesn't do all this other stuff earlier why would he do so now, when it's too late?

10. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    I just don't think Qui-Gon knows that Palpatine is the Sith Lord. Force Ghosts aren't omniscient.

11. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Possible. Or maybe not. It's difficult to tell.

12. Nordom

Nordom Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 1, 2004
    What makes you think that ending the suffering of dying people is a jedi only trait?
    I've read several acounts of battles in our history and in some one side DID end the suffering of enemy soldiers and in other cases their own if they knew death was certain. Or perhaps they had to move on and could not carry their wounded and did not want to leave them to the enemy. It is not very nice either way but it has happened.

Also about the novel, what I've been saying is that that logic does not wash, if Anakin does not get help he WILL die and that WILL be Obi-Wans doing. I do not know why you can not understand this, Obi-Wan wounded Anakin very terribly and those wounds WILL kill him.
    You keep saying that it is the fire's fault but that is nonsense, it is Obi-Wans fault as it was he that cut of Anakin arm and legs and then left him there. If he had not then Anakin would not be burning to death. So wheter Obi-Wan does anything or not, had Anakin died the truth is that it would be Obi-Wans doing.

Again, had Anakin died it would have been Obi-Wans doing, you are again using the logic that you can only kill someone by cutting of their heads of shooting them in the heart.
    This is nonsense as I explained earlier.
    Obi-Wan will have Anakins blood on his hands wheter he ends his life with his saber or not. If Obi-Wan really thought that he could avoid responsiblity for Anakins death then he is deluding himself.

You are picking and choosing here, you say that Obi-Wan will ignore any amount of jedi rules except this one, well prove it, using movie only. Provide clear proof that this rule is the one rule that Obi-Wan will never, ever break. What about Mace Windu, he was attempting to kill an unarmed Palpatine, did that violate the jedi code?

You where the one that said that for Obi-Wan to end Anakins suffering would be against the jedi code so it is you that have to provide proof of that claim. I said that I find it unlikely that such a rule exists because given the orders long existence and their use of deadly weapons. The situation had to have come up where a jedi have wounded an enemy so much that he or she will die but this death will take long and be very painfull. Given the choice between letting that enemy suffer for hours or ending their lives, it would mesh better with how the jedi otherwise are for it to be allowed even expected for a jedi to end that suffering. Obi-Wan himself does this to one of the arena beasts.

13. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    I'm not talking about soliders or other people in general. I'm talking about Jedi. Is there anything that says that a Jedi has to end someone's suffering?

The wounds won't kill Anakin. The fire will do it. Here's the difference: If Obi-wan finished Anakin it would be cold blooded murder. If he leaves him to rot, then it's manslaughter. Obi-wan is going for manslaughter over cold blood. That's just how he's doing it.

There's two ways to kill someone and Obi-wan chooses the lesser method, by leaving him to burn. It absolves him of actually doing the deed. It's how he is able to live with himself for the next 20 years.

Why do you think Anakin chopped off Mace's hand? He saw it as killing a helpless man and from a certain point of view, this was true. Palpatine wasn't helpless as he could still attack. Anakin was helpless. He was too busy trying to claw his way up the embankment. Palpatine was blasting Mace with the lightning. Using the movie only, have you seen Obi-wan kill a helpless person in ROTS? What about AOTC and TPM? No, he doesn't and especially not in ANH or the eu.

See that's the problem. You have two ideologies conflicting against each other. Jedi don't kill helpless individuals and alledgedly have a duty to end someone's suffering. Obi-wan killed the Ackaly not because it was helpless, but to be sure that it didn't crawl after him to continue the hunt. However, Obi-wan has a problem here. He is emotionally invested in Anakin and so he cannot simply bring himself t

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.