main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Did Obiwan lie about Master Sifo-Dyas being his master?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Negotiator1138, Mar 26, 2016.

1. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    You don't have to be any of those things, to figure it out. Lucas originally had it much more obvious when he wrote the film.

LAMA SU: "Please tell your Master Sido-Dyas that we have every confidence his order will be met on time and in full. He is well, I hope?"

OBI-WAN: "I’m sorry Master – ?"

LAMA SU: "Jedi Master Sido-Dyas. He’s still a leading member of the Jedi Council, is he not?"

OBI-WAN: "Oh, yes. Sido-Dyas."

OBI-WAN: "Who was the original host?"

LAMA SU: "A bounty hunter called Jango Fett. We felt a Jedi would be the perfect choice, but Sido-Dyas hand-picked Jango Fett himself."

OBI-WAN: "…I’ve never heard of a Jedi called Sido-Dyas, have you, Master?"

MACE: "No. Whoever placed that order was not a Jedi, I can assure you."

YODA: "Who he is working for… discover that, you must."

OBI-WAN: "I will, Master, and I will also find out more about this clone army… May The Force…"

MACE: "A clone army! Ordered by someone in the Senate perhaps… Someone’s out to start a war."

YODA: "Inform the Chancellor of this, we must."

MACE: "Who do you think this impostor, Sido-Dyas could be?"

OBI-WAN: "Then you must know Master Sido-Dyas?"

JANGO: "Boba, close the door. Master who?"

OBI-WAN: "Sido-Dyas. Isn’t he the Jedi who hired you for this job?"

JANGO: "Never heard of him. I was recruited by a man called Darth Tyranus on one of the moons of Bogden."

OBI-WAN: "No? I thought…"

TAUN WE: "Sido-Dyas told us to expect him. And he showed up just when your Jedi Master said he would. We have kept the Jedi’s involvement a secret until your arrival, just as your Master requested."

OBI-WAN: "Curious…"

As Lucas said, it was very easy to figure out and he worried that it would ruin the payoff at the end of the film and into ROTS, when Order 66 came down. So he went back and changed it. But as he said, if you just pay attention to the film, it is clear who did what. What was talked about in TCW was only done to straighten out the timeline of events.

mikeximus likes this.
  2. Pancellor Chalpatine

Pancellor Chalpatine Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 5, 2015
    Yoda did train Obi-Wan as a youngling perhaps, so it may be not a point a view thing as much as he literally trained him and nobody can really complain :p

3. Thomas2016

Thomas2016 Jedi Youngling

Mar 31, 2016
    I think like autor of this thread. Obi wan lying. This 100% sure.

4. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Why do such simple things are so difficult to grasp? To make an huge jump in logic to consider that Obi-Wan was lying or that he even implied that Sifo-Dyas was his personal master is just baffling.

Obi-Wan is on Kamino, and talking to its minister, as a representative of the Jedi. His use of the phrase "my Master" is just a sign of respect, nothing more. "My" meaning that they are part of the same organization: the Jedi Order.