main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Did Owen Lars know about Anakin/Vader?(no Ep.III spoilers please)

Discussion in 'Archive: Ann Arbor, MI' started by Idgie, Oct 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Idgie

Idgie Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2001
    How much about Anakin's turn to the darkside and eventual transformation into Vader do you think Owen Lars really knew about?Do you think he knew anything about it at all?

Obviously from AOTC Owen knew that Anakin was a Jedi Knight and given the tone of the breakfast scene in ANH,we could assume that Owen at least had some idea that things ended badly for his step-brother,but do you think that Obi-Wan really told the Lars' what had actually happened to Anakin?

I guess that Owen doesn't exactly strike me as a risk-taker and taking on the raising of a child that he knew to be Darth Vader's might not be something he would be too inclined to do_Of course,there's always the notion that the Lars' took Luke because he was Shmi's grandson moreso than Anakin's child,but I've sometimes wondered just how much Obi-Wan really told them.(?)

Any ideas?

2. lavagrrrl

lavagrrrl Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    Don't forget how Obi-Wan likes to view the truth from certain points of view. :)

I wouldn't be surprised if Owen knew what happened to the Tusken Raiders at the hands of Anakin. I don't think that Owen knows all that happens to Anakin (turning to the dark side), but he knows that he has a "dark side" (from what he has seen/heard). I've always thought that Owen believed Obi's story that Anakin was dead.

I miss these threads. :D

3. YodasBrownEyedGirl

YodasBrownEyedGirl Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 18, 2003
    Did Owen have second thoughts about taking Luke in? Or was it forced upon him and Beru? He seems so angry when Luke asks about his father as well as when Obi-Wan is mentioned. It also seems that this was an opportunity for Owen and Beru. I'm going to make an assumption that they could not have any children. We do not know of any or at least none are seen in the movies or mentioned. Maybe he was angry because Anakin did have a child. Who knows? Owen may have lived in constant fear if he knew Vader was also Anakin and always worried some day he would show up to get Luke.
    Just my thoughts.

4. Idgie

Idgie Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2001
    'I wouldn't be surprised if Owen knew what happened to the Tusken Raiders at the hands of Anakin...'

That's tricky,lavagrrl.We know that the only person Anakin told was Padme and I really can't see her telling anyone.Then again,an entire tribe of Tuskens getting wiped out is bound to become the stuff of local legend.It probably would not take Owen long to figure out who had done it,I'm sure.

'Or was it forced upon him and Beru? He seems so angry when Luke asks about his father as well as when Obi-Wan is mentioned.'

I wouldn't say that he was angry as much as he may have been resentful.Maybe the only reason they took Luke in at all was because they felt obligated to 'help the family' so to speak.(?)

5. lavagrrrl

lavagrrrl Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    That's tricky,lavagrrl.We know that the only person Anakin told was Padme and I really can't see her telling anyone.Then again,an entire tribe of Tuskens getting wiped out is bound to become the stuff of local legend.It probably would not take Owen long to figure out who had done it,I'm sure.

I was going off the "local legend" theory. I doubt Padme would have told Owen anything. The Lars' don't live in one of the larger cities in Tatooine, they are out in the country. News travels, even if there were no survivors. I know you're not always fond of the EU, but in Tatooine Ghost, the area where the slaughter occurred has become a place of local legend as being haunted.

6. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    I think Owen knows that Anakin went off into the Clone Wars and fought as a Jedi. He lied to Luke about that (you can kinda hear it in his well rehearsed tone). He knows he doesn't want Luke poking around too much and leaving, because like he said about the droids, Luke belongs to them now.

Owen probably knows what Obi Wan tells Luke, that Anakin was killed by Darth Vader.

7. Neutron_Force_45

Neutron_Force_45 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 11, 2004
    'Or was it forced upon him and Beru? He seems so angry when Luke asks about his father as well as when Obi-Wan is mentioned.'

If Owens is Anakin's stepbrother....then maybe Owen's knows that Anakin's mother gave him up at an early age to the Jedi's and Owen's knows the truth of what happened to Anakin and doesn't want Luke to fall in the same trap..not really a trap but maybe that's the way Owen's is thinking....or that Shmi was so sad after Anakin left and now Owen is thinking that if he hangs on to Luke on enough he'll be too old to become a Jedi or he'll forget about it and just stay a farmer....or Owen's blames the jedi's for what happened to Anakin, and he's mad at Anakin because Anakin couldn't raise his own kid and now he has todo it, and keep him safe and keep many secrets from Luke.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.