main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Did Padme love Anakin?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Jedi_Monk, Feb 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    There are reasons to fall in love with Anakin besides his looks, folks.

• his compassion

• his sensitivity

• his love of having fun

• his passion for life

• his belief in noble causes, a belief she shares

• there is little more irresistable to a woman than a man who loves his mama that much ;)

Let's not pretend his looks are the only thing Anakin is good for. Just because he isn't Obi-Wan--the calm, rational, perfect Jedi monk (*coughboringcough*) doesn't mean he isn't lovable.

Jainalover: I didn't like them being apart that long either, but I blame Padme's career and Anakin's Jedi restrictions for that one. Also, I don't buy there being no emotional connection--they had formed a friendship during TPM.

And "obsessed" is way too strong a word. "Obsessed" is what happened when one of my ex's called me seven times a day minimum and threatened suicide because I wouldn't agree to marry him the following summer (I was 17 at the time), threw me against a brick wall because I wouldn't tell him what I was going to be doing a particular evening (his words: "You're probably going to be ****ing four other guys"), and finally, came after me with a knife.

You ever want to know why I really get my panties in a wad whenever anyone compares Anakin with a "stalker", that's why.

Staring isn't a crime. And he did back away when she asked.

Did any of you see "Cold Mountain"? Inman and Ada were in a similar situation as Anakin and Padme. They had barely met before the war started, and they shared one kiss. Ada got no letters from Inman, Inman only received three of Ada's multiple letters. Yet they waited for each other, and Inman deserted the Confederate Army, risking his life, and walked across North Carolina to be with her again.

Was Inman "obsessed"? Was there only a physical attraction there?

2. Padlei

Padlei Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2003
    In fact I remember that on my first viewing I was feeling exactly the same way. I had not seen her "dying a little bit each day since [he] came back..."
    I was like "What? She's in love with him to that extent?" I think it's more because NP's performance is more subtle. While Anakin's emotions are all over the place Padme keeps hers in check. You really have to look at it further. She's attracted to him but it's so much more than that. He makes her feel like a woman and she's simply free and completely different when she's around him. They really should have left the deleted scenes inside the movie. It wouldn't have been so awkward. I would never have doubted her falling head over heels for him. They were crucial especially for the transition from "But he's just a Padawan learner! " to the first kiss.

EDIT: You beat me a_g... You listed really good reasons! :D
    As for the stalking thing you're right. Anakin is NOT a stalker otherwise he would have been really nasty after she rejected him in the infamous fireplace scene...

3. SLR

SLR Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 20, 2002
    I am not saying that it was only looks that Padme fell in love with him for. I am saying that the movie, IMHO, did not establish why she fell in love with him.

Cold Mountain was different. There was definitive, non-awkward chemistry established between Inman and Ada from the very beginning. There were also scenes to show that he liked her for her warmth, kindness, and her talent (playing the piano) and she liked his quiet, gentile and giving soul.

I felt the chemistry between Anakin and Padme was at times non-existent and at other times awkward (I don't know if it was because of the script, Lucas' directions, or lack of chemistry b/w HC and NP). I also didn't think there were scenes that showed, as Cold Mountain did, why the characters fell in love. Just my humble opinion of course.

4. BusinessMan

BusinessMan Jedi Youngling

Feb 27, 2004
    In answer to Cyprus's question last night--the sequence in which Padme sees Anakin again. She greets Obi-Wan, then she turns to Anakin, and her eyes widen. She says, "Ani?" As in, "Is it really you?" She is obviously attracted to him, but by the time he finishes with his, "[You've] grown more beautiful I mean...and shorter...for a Senator I mean..." (Poor awkward kid. You can tell he's had courting lessons from Mace and Yoda. ), Padme has realized that Anakin is a Jedi and she isn't supposed to be attracted to him, so she dismisses him as "That little boy I knew on Tatooine." This was more for herself as opposed to what she really thinks. The novelization goes into more detail on this, in talking about what she was thinking when she was in her room undressing for bed. She had feelings for Anakin, knew she shouldn't, and those feelings made her uncomfortable. Padme wants to do the "right thing" by her career and by the Jedi. It isn't until she is on her way to being executed that she realizes that the so-called "right thing" doesn't matter, and what really matters is love.

Wow, that is really a stretch, in fact, it's beyond a stretch. Don't you think if Lucas had intended to show an attraction towards Anakin he would have done so in more obvious ways? Either by having Padme stumble with her words, so it's "wow...Anakin, you've grown up!". But he doesn't do that, instead it's no different then when I see a friend I haven't seen in ages. That look is of surprise from him growing up, not a "damn you're fine Anakin!" look.

And what purpose would there be for Padme saying "You'll always be that little boy I knew on Tatooine"? Why would George Lucas go out of his way to make her say a comment like that? He obviously did it to establish that she wasn't interested in him at that point. If it were truly a matter of personal conflict and she were saying that almost as if she was talking herself out of it don't you think she would have been far less direct and it would have been further down the script?

What would she be talking herself out of, her initial attraction for him? That just doesn't make any sense. Nobody goes from instant attraction to instant withholding of that attraction within 15 seconds. And again, you really think the thought of "I shouldn't be attracted to this man because he's a Jedi and I'm a senator, I'm busy, he's busy, it'll never work out" would cross her mind within the first 15 seconds of their meeting?

It's completely clear to me that Padme had no feelings for Anakin (or at least it wasn't shown on screen) before they actually kissed.

5. Jainalover

Jainalover Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    They were too young to form anything other than basic friendship in TPM. Had they had been in each other's company during the interval between movies, then that would have made more sense.

6. anakin_girl

Oct 8, 2000
    Wow, that is really a stretch, in fact, it's beyond a stretch. Don't you think if Lucas had intended to show an attraction towards Anakin he would have done so in more obvious ways?

No, I don't--he meant it to be subtle, which is why some people don't get it.

Either by having Padme stumble with her words, so it's "wow...Anakin, you've grown up!". But he doesn't do that, instead it's no different then when I see a friend I haven't seen in ages. That look is of surprise from him growing up, not a "damn you're fine Anakin!" look.

If she had said "Damn you're fine, Anakin" or anything close to it, the Anakin-haters and other bashers would have been all over the line for being "out of character".

As far as "friend", that's where real love comes from.

Nobody goes from instant attraction to instant withholding of that attraction within 15 seconds. And again, you really think the thought of "I shouldn't be attracted to this man because he's a Jedi and I'm a senator, I'm busy, he's busy, it'll never work out" would cross her mind within the first 15 seconds of their meeting?

Sure, why not?

They were too young to form anything other than basic friendship in TPM.

But they did form that basic friendship.

Cold Mountain was different. There was definitive, non-awkward chemistry established between Inman and Ada from the very beginning.

They were different characters and it was the Victorian era in the South, not Star Wars. The correlation still matches though. They only knew each other a few days.

There were also scenes to show that he liked her for her warmth, kindness, and her talent (playing the piano) and she liked his quiet, gentile and giving soul.

The meadow scene.

7. Jainalover

Jainalover Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    You miss my point. The basic friendship was not added on as both characters were not together as friends during that time. That is a basis for a romance and the fact they were apart for a full decade makes the relationship less believeable and more along the lines of simple infatuation which could become an obsession. I feel I must point this out as it is something which seems to be overlooked by many.

8. BusinessMan

Feb 27, 2004
    No, I don't--he meant it to be subtle, which is why some people don't get it.

Some (99.9%) people don't get it because there is nothing to get.

Obviously even Anakin would agree with me because he says "I've thought about her everyday since we've parted, SHE'S FORGOTTEN ME COMPLETELY". Obviously he wouldn't say that if he thought she had some attraction towards him. Was he imagining it, were there really feelings there? Or maybe, just maybe, he didn't feel any warmth or attraction from her because there wasn't any.

Why would Lucas try so hard to establish the fact that she doesn't like him if what he really meant to do was show that she was hiding her feelings? Why create lines like "she's forgotten me completely" and "you'll always be that little boy I knew on Tatooine" if they had no significance?

9. SLR

SLR Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 20, 2002
    There were also scenes to show that he liked her for her warmth, kindness, and her talent (playing the piano) and she liked his quiet, gentile and giving soul.

The meadow scene.

But what reasons for Padme's love for Anakin would the casual movie viewer get from these scenes? I've seen AOTC about 6 times and I couldn't tell you. I saw Cold Mountain once and could clearly see and explain why the characters fell in love with each other.

10. anakin_girl

Oct 8, 2000
    Some (99.9%) people don't get it because there is nothing to get.

Now that's just downright arrogant. [face_plain]

99.9 percent of the people agree with you? Where do you get off making that assumption?

Obviously he wouldn't say that if he thought she had some attraction towards him.

Ever been in a situation in which you didn't think someone liked you, hoped they liked you, and they actually did?

Just because Anakin says it doesn't make it right.

Why would Lucas try so hard to establish the fact that she doesn't like him if what he really meant to do was show that she was hiding her feelings?

If he was trying to establish that she didn't like him, she would say at some point, "Go away, Anakin. I don't like you."

But she doesn't.

But what reasons for Padme's love for Anakin would the casual movie viewer get from these scenes?

You can see the friendship there. The banter back and forth was really sweet. They were rolling around in the field together (yeah, that's a sign of dislike). He entertains her on the shaak, then falls off the shaak and messes with her by pretending he's hurt, and she runs over to him, horrified and concerned, then smacks him for scaring her. They ride home together on the back of the shaak.

11. SLR

SLR Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 20, 2002
    "You can see the friendship there. The banter back and forth was really sweet. They were rolling around in the field together (yeah, that's a sign of dislike). He entertains her on the shaak, then falls off the shaak and messes with her by pretending he's hurt, and she runs over to him, horrified and concerned, then smacks him for scaring her. They ride home together on the back of the shaak. "

THose aren't reasons that someone falls in love with somebody. All you described is a good time. I have a good time with lots of people, but I only love my girlfriend. It isn't the good times that I have with my girfriend that I love her, it is because of her personality and her qualities that I love her. I don't think AOTC explains at all what aspects of Anakin that Padme falls in love with.

12. anakin_girl

Oct 8, 2000
    I listed some of the reasons I thought Padme would fall in love with Anakin, and besides, love isn't always explainable, nor should it be.

13. BusinessMan

Feb 27, 2004
    Ever been in a situation in which you didn't think someone liked you, hoped they liked you, and they actually did?

Just because Anakin says it doesn't make it right.

You ever been in a situation where the person you liked doesn't give you any signals, says "you'll always be that little boy blah blah", and makes a fool out of you in front of a large group of people?

Didn't think so.

If he was trying to establish that she didn't like him, she would say at some point, "Go away, Anakin. I don't like you."

But she doesn't.

Because it's completely unrealistic given both their personalities. He doesn't make enough moves for her to say "ewww go away", he just says some corny things. She has no reason to say "Go away Anakin". It's not that she didn't like him, she just didn't have romantic feelings for him.

Ok, let's say the scenes between Anakin and Padme are open to interpretation. Why would George Lucas send mixed signals to the audience? Why would he go out of his way to write "you'll always be that little boy from Tatooine" and "she's forgotten me completely"? Why have that dialogue and not ANY dialogue even hinting towards the fact she might have feelings towards him? Why not even have a look of attraction towards Anakin? She almost completely ignores him besides the quick banter they had at the beginning. Don't you think if Lucas was trying to establish she had feelings for him he would have made it the least bit obvious?

14. SLR

SLR Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 20, 2002
    "I listed some of the reasons I thought Padme would fall in love with Anakin, and besides, love isn't always explainable, nor should it be."

But you didn't list the actual reason(s), just things that you think she could have fell in love with him for. You're right, love isn't always explainable. But when you are trying to make a film showing a love story, you should let the audience know and understand why the people are falling in love.

15. ShaakRider

ShaakRider Jedi Master star 2

Nov 14, 2002
    his compassion

Compassion? Anakin is the most self-centered "hero" i've ever seen. All he can talk about is how he feels, how he is held back, he, he, he...
    I have to admit though that the only person who's able to pull him out of it, at least to an extent, is Padme.

his sensitivity

his love of having fun

Yep, i can see these.

his passion for life

What exactly do you mean by this?

his belief in noble causes, a belief she shares

there is little more irresistable to a woman than a man who loves his mama that much
    Uhm, well...

Regarding th friendship as the basis of their love, i too think the 10 year gap was too much. Thinking every day about Padme seems a bit unhealthy on Anakin's part (no, i'm not saying he's a psycho or anything) and Padme not thinking about Anakin at all is a really hard to understand.
    So, while it looks like there's a friendship in TPM, it's practically forgotten by the time of AOTC.

As far as Padme's reasons, the overall amount of reasons could be sufficient to me (that's for love, not for marriage though), but the pattern of Padme's behaviour doesn't feel right to me for some reason.

16. anakin_girl

Oct 8, 2000
    You ever been in a situation where the person you liked doesn't give you any signals, says "you'll always be that little boy blah blah", and makes a fool out of you in front of a large group of people?

Didn't think so.

Yes, and you know soooo much about me that you know for sure that this hasn't happened to me. [face_plain]

Why have that dialogue and not ANY dialogue even hinting towards the fact she might have feelings towards him?

Because Obi-Wan was standing right there, as were her handmaidens and her bodyguard. Padme isn't an idiot.

Why not even have a look of attraction towards Anakin?

I saw one. I also saw some skimpy outfits--I don't think she was wearing those to impress R2.

Don't you think if Lucas was trying to establish she had feelings for him he would have made it the least bit obvious?

No, and I would have been disappointed if he had made it obvious. Lucas doesn't write for dummies who have to have things spelled out to them.

But you didn't list the actual reason(s), just things that you think she could have fell in love with him for.

What is listing what is lovable about him, if not doing just that?

And I'm not inside Padme's mind, so I couldn't say "This is why Padme fell in love with Anakin." I can only list why I believe she did.

But when you are trying to make a film showing a love story, you should let the audience know and understand why the people are falling in love.

He did, but the soap opera generation, who is used to "I love you--you love me--kissy kissy pooh" and other such sap, chose not to see it.

Besides, Lucas didn't spend enough time on the love scenes because he wanted to give Obi-Wan and Jango their 90 minute water fight.

ShaakRider:

What exactly do you mean by this?

Anakin enjoys himself. He likes to have fun. He likes to amuse people, to go out on a limb, to take risks--to live life to the fullest. He likes to ride through power couplings, to pick out the fastest speeder, cut up fruit using the Force in order to amuse someone, to go on picnics in the meadow, to ride shaaks.

Obi-Wan likes to meditate. *yawn*

As far as Anakin being self-centered--so are most 19 and 20-year-olds. I know I was.

17. ShaakRider

ShaakRider Jedi Master star 2

Nov 14, 2002
    a_g
    I see. I just listed those under "having fun" myself.

self-centeredness/age: his behaviour is more like the 16-17-year-olds i know. And even if every 19-20's are like him, that doesn't make me any more compassionate in my eyes.

18. Estelita

Estelita Jedi Master star 2

Oct 29, 2001
    "Yes, and you know soooo much about me that you know for sure that this hasn't happened to me."

Well, you're not the only one who's going on "what would I have done?" or "how would I have felt?" in judging whether there was love. Some people would certainly not have fallen in love under certain conditions, thus they don't believe Padme did. You would have, so you think she did. Their opinions are just as reasonable as yours. They're based on the same thing.
    Same with the Tusken thing. You sympathize with Anakin because you would have done the same thing. Others sympathize less because they would not have done the same thing and/or they think it's wrong, and don't believe that saying it's wrong and doing it anyway is okay...

"his compassion"

Compassion? Anakin is the most self-centered "hero" i've ever seen.

"As far as Anakin being self-centered--so are most 19 and 20-year-olds. I know I was."

Well, that was quite a 180. You said that his compassion is one thing going for him, then someone tells you that actually he is self-centered. You then don't exactly say he's not self-centered, so I assume you actually agree with that... but being self-centered is still okay, of course.

19. BusinessMan

Feb 27, 2004
    Sorry, my puter keeps double posting for some reason.

20. BusinessMan

Feb 27, 2004
    [face_plain]

How is the audience supposed to know Padme likes Anakin before they kiss???

You've yet to show me ONE scene or ONE look or ONE piece of dialogue that might suggest Padme had romantic feelings towards Anakin. Then you call ME the dummy???

Just give me ONE thing to work with and then I'll start taking you seriously. Padme does not show any attraction to Anakin on screen before they kiss and I can say that with 100% certainty.

21. Estelita

Estelita Jedi Master star 2

Oct 29, 2001
    Is there anything that person can say that would change your mind about anything?

Yes. There are a few things:

1. "I don't hate Anakin."
    2. "I understand why he was angry."
    3. "His mother was tortured to death."
    4. "He was upset because his mother was tortured to death."
    5. "The Sandpeople were wrong."

1. Actually, I meant change your mind about Anakin. Do you feel it possible that you might have been mistaken about him or the story in some way, and that your opinion might change?

2. All those in your list apply to me.

3. Would you say that Anakin was wrong too? I know you already did say that, but I can get enough of it about as much as you can get enough of people saying that the Tuskens, rather than Anakin, were wrong.

4. What do you call a person who says something is bad, but does it anyway?

That's all from me.

22. anakin_girl

Oct 8, 2000
    BusinessMan: I gave it to you, as did a couple of others, and you chose not to believe me. I'm not going to repeat myself. You chose not to see the scenes either the way I did or the way the creator intended them, that's your business.

Estelita: I happen to believe that someone can be compassionate and still be somewhat self-centered.

In fact, that's how I view myself. I have had the tendency to, like Anakin, think something is "all about me" when it really isn't.

Well, you're not the only one who's going on "what would I have done?" or "how would I have felt?" in judging whether there was love. Some people would certainly not have fallen in love under certain conditions, thus they don't believe Padme did. You would have, so you think she did. Their opinions are just as reasonable as yours. They're based on the same thing.

Maybe, but what you guys have been saying is not that your opinions are as reasonable as mine, but that they're more reasonable. I've been told, sometimes directly, sometimes indirectly, in this thread, that if I understand what Anakin did to the Tuskens, I must be "immoral" and I must think it's OK to kill children; that if I would have married Anakin, just as Padme did, that I must be "crazy" or have "lost my marbles".

George Lucas said they were in love, therefore, they were in love.

He didn't convince you? Fine--he didn't convince you. But don't try to say that just because you weren't convinced or you wouldn't have fallen in love with Anakin, that that means Padme wasn't in love with him. The creator of the story has the authority on that one.

1. Actually, I meant change your mind about Anakin. Do you feel it possible that you might have been mistaken about him or the story in some way, and that your opinion might change?

No. I've been compassionate towards Anakin since I saw ROTJ in 1983, and nothing will change my mind about him.

Also, and this isn't referring to you, Estelita (unless you really do hate Anakin, but you haven't shown the same passionate hatred towards him as some others have), nothing will change my mind about the fact that I don't think people should waste time hating a fictional character. As I said, I'm not fond of Palpatine, I'm not fond of Tarkin, but I don't go around TF.N calling them ugly names.

2. All those in your list apply to me.

Good.

3. Would you say that Anakin was wrong too? I know you already did say that, but I can get enough of it about as much as you can get enough of people saying that the Tuskens, rather than Anakin, were wrong.

Yes, he was wrong. Even he said he was wrong. But I understand why he did it, and I don't think he deserves to be called a "baby killer" after he bawled his eyes out in a garage and said he was sorry he did it.

4. What do you call a person who says something is bad, but does it anyway?

He said it was bad after he did it. I call it "a hothead who found his mother tortured to death and completely lost his marbles for a bit and then was real sorry about it later".

23. SLR

SLR Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 20, 2002
    I am not doubting the intent. I believe that it was Lucas' intent for the characters to be in love with each other. I just don't think it was executed in a way to convince the viewers that A&P were in love with each other. Just my humble opinion of course.

24. BusinessMan

Feb 27, 2004
    George Lucas said they were in love, therefore, they were in love.

Well it looks like the latest conversation started when someone said something about the love story not being believable. It was never "they're not in love", the audience knows they're supposed to be in love. But some people have problems with how it's portrayed on screen.

I completely agree with the complete change in attitude for Padme that someone mentioned. It is not shown on screen that Padme likes Anakin at any point before the kiss. You can imagine it was there, but it was not shown. I don't know how more clearly I can say that, it just wasn't shown on screen.

Personally, I don't think George Lucas intended for it to be shown on screen either, he goes out of his way to write comments for Padme and Anakin that would suggest she's not attracted to Anakin. But there is not a single mention of a possible attraction. Why do you suppose he would do that if his intentions were to show Padme had feelings for him the whole time? Was he just trying to throw off the "dummies"?

I'll search for Lucas quotes if I have to about the love story, I'm 100% certain the relationship was intended to evolve from nothing to something.

25. SLR

SLR Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 20, 2002
    The problem is is that Lucas doesn't know how to tell a love story on screen. He is an action adventure guy. That is what he does best. AOTC and the love story would have worked better if it wasn't made such a major emphasis of the film. He should have just made them mutually attracted to one another w/ mutual give and take like in ESB. He should have kept this a subplot in the background, instead of going with this forbidden love angle that takes up most of the movie. Lucas' can't tell a love story and should have stuck to what he does well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.