main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Did Padme love Anakin?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Jedi_Monk, Feb 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cyprusg

Cyprusg Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2002
    She let Anakin kiss her and then suddenly broke away, she was concerned for Anakin (and seemed to have no problem jumping onto him and rolling around in grass), and when Anakin confessed to her, she spoke with much vehemence. Then, we all know what happens in Tatooine and then in Geonosis. Though it wasn't spelled out as clearly on the screen as I would have liked, there was enough shown to understand what she was feeling.

Oh, if I didn't make myself clear I was only talking about BEFORE the kiss. After the kiss her feelings were apparent. But would you kiss someone you have no interest in? Because I think that's what it felt like for most audience members. There was no scene to suggest she had feelings for him, then all of a sudden they kiss, even though she turns away she still went in for it also.

2. Jainalover

Jainalover Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    Would she have humiliated him like she did in front of the Queen and company if she really cared for him? I think not. Sorry.

3. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    You've never been rude to or humiliated someone you cared about?

I sure as hell have, time and time again.

What's that old saying? "Just because people fight doesn't mean that they don't love each other, and just because people don't fight doesn't mean that they do."

4. Azanulbizar

Azanulbizar Jedi Master star 1

Nov 22, 2003
    True - but in a two-hour film, I think that sort of scene/interaction only hurts the credibility of what the director is trying to accomplish in terms of the love story.

5. Jainalover

Jainalover Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    I would love to stay and debate this to no end but I am being banned tonight. So goodbye guiys, its been fun.

6. mixza

mixza Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2004
    He was a Jedi Padawan. He wasn't a Jedi Knight, but he was a Jedi nevertheless.

That's true, Depa Billaba. But he's not really a full Jedi. He's apprenticing (is that a word?) to become a Jedi. I'm pretty sure they mention it in the Jedi Aprentice books.

For all we know, she shouted at him a bit more later.

A bit more? When did she shout at him in the first place?

And as for the lines Cyprusg posted...

Padme: Oh Annie, you'll always be that little boy I knew on Tatooine.

Later on she takes back that earlier statement: I'm sorry, Anakin. It's impossible to deny you've... that you've grown up.

Anakin: She hardly recognized me, Jar Jar. I've thought about her every day since we parted... and she's forgotten me completely.

You didn't mention that right after he said that...

Jar-Jar said: Shesa happy. Happier den mesa see-en her in longo time.

And Obi-Wan said: Blah blah blah... She was glad to see us. Blah blah.

Anakin: She covered the cameras. I don't think she liked me watching her.

She had just been reunited with him! Just because she didn't want his horney eyes watching her in her bedroom doesn't mean she didn't fall in love with him later on.

PADMÉ: Anakin's not a Jedi yet, Counselor. He's still a Padawan learner. I was thinking...

I think anakin_girl explained that one pretty well.

ANAKIN: (nettled) Hey, hold on a minute!

PADMÉ: Excuse me! I was thinking I would stay in the Lake Country. There are some places up there that are very isolated.

ANAKIN: Excuse me?! I am in charge of security here,
    M'Lady.

PADMÉ: Annie, my life is at risk, and this is my home. I know it very well... that is why we're here. I think it would be wise for you to take advantage of my knowledge in this instance.

Okay. So they argued. Everybody argues. Even people who have been married for half a century argue. And Anakin gives in and apologizes:"Sorry, M'Lady."

And if we're gonna use lines from the script as evidence...

PADMÉ: You have changed so much.
    ANAKIN: You haven't changed a bit. You're exactly the way I remember you in my dreams.

PADMÉ: If you follow your thoughts through to conclusion, they will take us to a place we cannot go... regardless of the way we feel about each other.
    we feel about each other.

PADMÉ: I will not let you give up your responsibilities... your future, for me.

PADMÉ: Your're making fun of me.
    ANAKIN:(sarcastic)Oh no, I'd be much too frightened to tease a Senator.
    PADMÉ: You're so bad!

And the most romantic dialogue in the movie (in my opinion, anyway):

PADMÉ: I'm not afraid to die. I've been dying a little bit each day since you came back into my life.
    ANAKIN: What are you talking about?
    PADMÉ: I love you.
    ANAKIN: You love me?! I thought we decided not to fall in love. That we would be forced to live a lie.
    That it would destroy our lives...
    PADMÉ: I think our lives are about to be destroyed anyway. My love for you is a puzzle, Annie, for which I have no answers. I can't control it... and now I don't care. I truly, deeply love you, and before we die I want you to know.

She is telling him she loves him. Why would she lie about that? They were about to die; it's not like she was gonna get anything out of it. And why would she marry him afterwards? She was a politician; if the fact that she married a Jedi when it was forbidden became known, it could destroy her career. Why would she take that kind of risk if she didn't love him?

7. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Anakin: "She covered the cameras. I don't think she liked me watching her. "

She had just been reunited with him! Just because she didn't want his horney eyes watching her in her bedroom doesn't mean she didn't fall in love with him later on.

Yeah - she already thinks he's a pervert, good start Anni!

Okay. So they argued. Everybody argues. Even people who have been married for half a century argue. And Anakin gives in and apologizes:"Sorry, M'Lady."

It's a staple in movies and TV shows about potential romance - the 2 characters argue and bicker, we've all seen it, it creates friction, heat etc.
    BUT - in AOTC these scenes (when she's packing, the throne room) are rather awkward, they aren't playful. She cuts him down but good.

"PADMÉ: Your're making fun of me.
    ANAKIN:(sarcastic)Oh no, I'd be much too frightened to tease a Senator."

I think the meadow scene is better, some good teasing etc.

"PADMÉ: I'm not afraid to die. I've been dying a little bit each day since you came back into my life.
    ANAKIN: What are you talking about?
    PADMÉ: I love you.
    ANAKIN: You love me?! I thought we decided not to fall in love. That we would be forced to live a lie.
    That it would destroy our lives...
    PADMÉ: I think our lives are about to be destroyed anyway. My love for you is a puzzle, Annie, for which I have no answers. I can't control it... and now I don't care. I truly, deeply love you, and before we die I want you to know. "

Uuugghh!! awful stuff. Every time I hear that little speech I'm thinking "Huh?? What?? Where did that come from?" Especially that bit about "dying a little bit each day" sounds like total bs to me, in fact I couldn't help but think about Obi's line about politicians and how you shouldn't trust them.
    Now I like romance, and I'll fully concede that it's the hardest thing to do well on screen so I'm pretty forgiving, but that scene is either a disater or it's meant to seem fake.

g

8. Cyprusg

Cyprusg Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2002
    mixza, read more than that one post before you try joining in the debate. I've said this at least 5 times, I've never once said Padme wasn't in love with Anakin. I know that was Lucas's intentions.

9. Darth_Meul

Darth_Meul Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 4, 2004
    Yeah - she already thinks he's a pervert, good start Anni!

I suppose women should start a strip-act from the moment they like somebody.

10. mixza

mixza Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2004
    mixza, read more than that one post before you try joining in the debate. I've said this at least 5 times, I've never once said Padme wasn't in love with Anakin. I know that was Lucas's intentions.

I know that. I'm not specifically debateing with you, I'm just... debateing.

BUT - in AOTC these scenes (when she's packing, the throne room) are rather awkward, they aren't playful. She cuts him down but good.

Since when are arguments playful? When you are arguing with someone you love, you never "cut them down but good"?

Uuugghh!! awful stuff. Every time I hear that little speech I'm thinking "Huh?? What?? Where did that come from?" Especially that bit about "dying a little bit each day" sounds like total bs to me, in fact I couldn't help but think about Obi's line about politicians and how you shouldn't trust them.
    Now I like romance, and I'll fully concede that it's the hardest thing to do well on screen so I'm pretty forgiving, but that scene is either a disater or it's meant to seem fake.

Okay, but like I said before, why would she lie when she is about to die? (cool, I made a ryme!) And why would she marry him afterwards?

11. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    mixza - Remember Queen Jamillia scene when Padmé tells her that "Anakin isn't a Jedi yet"?

Let's look at what she really said. ;)

Bibble: What do you think Master Jedi.

Bibble called Anakin A Master. Anakin is not a master yet. And at that point Padme was right. Anakin understood this to after he heard her out. It is her home she knows it more then he does. Anakin was just going to go at it with out even asking any one the best place to hide her.

Know if it was a planet Anakin had been on and Padme had not she would have heard Anakin out.

12. Depa Billaba

Depa Billaba Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 21, 1998
    anidanami - I'm afraid it's you who have gotten the scene wrong. If Bibble had indeed called Anakin a Master Jedi and Padmé wanted to tell Bibble that Anakin wasn't a Jedi Master, what she should have done is said "Oh, Anakin isn't a Master yet. He's just an apprentice," NOT "Oh, Anakin isn't a Jedi yet."

mixza - People are part of the Jedi Order regardless of whether they're Initiates, Padawans, Knights, or Masters. JA books also say that Initiates are cast out of the Jedi Order when no Master took them as an apprentice by their tirteenth birthday. Obi-Wan (during TPM) was clearly considered a Jedi, as well, and he wasn't a Knight then.

Depa Billaba

13. anidanami124

Aug 24, 2002
    I'm afraid it's you who have gotten the scene wrong. If Bibble had indeed called Anakin a Master Jedi and Padmé wanted to tell Bibble that Anakin wasn't a Jedi Master, what she should have done is said "Oh, Anakin isn't a Master yet. He's just an apprentice," NOT "Oh, Anakin isn't a Jedi yet."

Anakin is a Padawan. He is not a Master Jedi. That was Bibblies line. He called him a Master Jedi when he was not a Master Jedi. Padme her self still said he was a Padawan learner.

14. openmind

openmind Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Padme calls Obi Wan "Master Jedi", but Anakin isn't. I think it could be that simple. :) And secondly Padme is showing amongst her peers, she's in control. Look at Queen Jamilla, she's watching what's going and seems clearly annoyed with Anakin's intrusion. But you have to feel a bit sorry for Anakin he meant well.

15. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    Since when are arguments playful?

Potential couples in movies often bicker in a way that's obvious to the audience that there's a sexual/romantic tension underneath.

When you are arguing with someone you love, you never "cut them down but good"?

She did cut him down tho. And in front of other people.

Okay, but like I said before, why would she lie when she is about to die? (cool, I made a ryme!) And why would she marry him afterwards?

Well I don't think she does believe she's about to die. I'm trying to give Lucas the benefit of the doubt, maybe there's more to her than we know, but ... well I'd better not make any suppositions cos that would mean talking about ep.III (btw - my thoughts are all purely speculation , I've heard no spoilers on this matter).
    I assume we are meant to believe they are in love, but it's not at all convincing, I certainly don't believe she loves him.

Why would she marry him? I don't know, I didn't think she loved him, maybe she felt she could help him, felt sorry for him.

Bibble called Anakin A Master. Anakin is not a master yet. And at that point Padme was right. Anakin understood this to after he heard her out. It is her home she knows it more then he does. Anakin was just going to go at it with out even asking any one the best place to hide her.

Let's look at what was really said ;)

Bibble: What is your suggestion Master Jedi?

And then before Anakin can respond to the question Padme cuts in and tells everyone that he's still a learner and where she's going to stay. He never does get to answer Bibble's question. And he's quite obviously pissed off at her cutting him down like that.

Anakin was just going to go at it with out even asking any one the best place to hide her.

How do you know that? We never heard what Anakin's plan was.

g

16. anakin_girl

Oct 8, 2000
    As I said, I don't think Padme should have cut Anakin down, but I don't think she did it because she didn't like him--we're talking about a woman who was ruling a planet when she was 14 and has spent her entire life in politics--she is used to being in charge and was not about to give up that stance.

I don't know, I didn't think she loved him, maybe she felt she could help him, felt sorry for him.

No character as strong as Padme is going to marry a guy out of pity. Only idiots do that, and Padme is no fool.

She did love him--she said she did, Lucas said she did.

17. Depa Billaba

Depa Billaba Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 21, 1998
    But Padmé didn't say that Anakin wasn't a Jedi Master. She said that he wasn't a Jedi. If she wanted to correct Bibble's error, she should have said that Anakin wasn't a Master, NOT that he wasn't a Jedi.

Depa Billaba

18. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000
    "Yeah - she already thinks he's a pervert, good start, Anni!"

Watching over someone with cameras is part of being a security gaurd because they want to make sure that the person they're protecting is safe which is what Anakin was doing. Padme was foolish to shut off the cameras just because her hormones went wild over the sight of Anakin and even Obi-wan would agree when he said, "What was she thinking?".

Cyprusg-"But there is not one piece of dialogue or one scene that would suggest she had any romantic feelings for Anakin before the kiss."

The mentioned Obi-wan quote and the scene where Padme bolts off of her bed after Anakin slices up the creepy-crawling things shows her romantic feelings for him. Padme was looking straight at Anakin, even as he runs out of her bedroom and Dorme checks to see if she's okay.

19. Estelita

Estelita Jedi Master star 2

Oct 29, 2001
    "Okay, but like I said before, why would she lie when she is about to die? (cool, I made a ryme!) And why would she marry him afterwards?"

Well I don't think she does believe she's about to die.

I do. I don't think she was lying per se, I mean I don't think it was deliberate. I think she did feel she was about to die, thus she was full of very strong emotions and feels far more attachment to who was going to suffer along with her. I think she certainly believed it though. I don't think Lucas made it convincing.

No character as strong as Padme is going to marry a guy out of pity. Only idiots do that, and Padme is no fool.

Well, if you believe she is strong, then you can either believe that the marriage must have been a good thing for some reason, or it was out of character. She married Anakin, so I think she is a fool or at least out of character. Which is dumb, because in other places she is made out to be very intelligent. Where Anakin is concerned, she seems to drop it all and listen only to her heart, not her head. She shouldn't be surprised when he turns to the dark side.

20. anakin_girl

Oct 8, 2000
    She married Anakin, so I think she is a fool or at least out of character.

Geez, more Anakin-hating. Just because you don't like Anakin doesn't mean loving him is stupid. [face_plain]

Marrying the person you love is not a dumb thing to do.

Which is dumb, because in other places she is made out to be very intelligent. Where Anakin is concerned, she seems to drop it all and listen only to her heart, not her head.

Some intelligent people are ruled by their hearts. I consider myself very intelligent--I've always made good grades and had high test scores, and I speak three languages--but I tend to be ruled by my heart rather than my head. That doesn't make me an idiot, and the insinuation is insulting.

21. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003

But Padme's 'character' just isn't consistent, she's supposed to be decent and caring and yet she does nothing to help Shmi. Also - intelligent, strong people do dumb things all the time. I'm not saying I believe she married out of reasons other than love, I'm simply exploring the idea mainly because of the inconsistencies in the films. Those inconsistencies are probably poor storytelling on Lucas' part.

She did love him--she said she did, Lucas said she did.

Out of curiosity - where does Lucas say they're in love?

Padme was foolish to shut off the cameras just because her hormones went wild over the sight of Anakin and even Obi-wan would agree when he said, "What was she thinking?".

The mentioned Obi-wan quote and the scene where Padme bolts off of her bed after Anakin slices up the creepy-crawling things shows her romantic feelings for him. Padme was looking straight at Anakin, even as he runs out of her bedroom and Dorme checks to see if she's okay.

?[face_plain] Er... wouldn't the part about covering the cameras indicate that it's Anakin's hormones that have gone wild? How do you come to the conclusion that Padme's have?
    And as for the bit where she wakes up, again - where's the romantic feelings in that scene? She's awoken suddenly, looks startled, that's about it.

g

22. anakin_girl

Oct 8, 2000
    Out of curiosity - where does Lucas say they're in love?

Multiple interviews--I'd have to dig them up. Hayden and Natalie also said it.

23. anidanami124

Aug 24, 2002
    she's supposed to be decent and caring and yet she does nothing to help Shmi

Can we not bring this up. Next it's going to be called a plot whole. It's not a plot whole. And Shmi was free for four or five years until she was killed. End of story there.

24. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    Can we not bring this up. Next it's going to be called a plot whole.

Well I think it's very relevant to Padme's character

It's not a plot whole. And Shmi was free for four or five years until she was killed. End of story there.

But Padme didn't know she was free.

g

25. anidanami124

Aug 24, 2002
    Well I think it's very relevant to Padme's character

No it's not relevant. Shmi's part of the story is over.

But Padme didn't know she was free.

Like I said above Shmi's part in the story is over. She was there for a reason. No need to ruin the whole point of Anakin being free but no Shmi.

And there was a point to it. Anakin in TPM said he would come back to free his mother. In away he did free her.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.