main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Did Palpatine "allow" force lightning to scar himself?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by KeithyT, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Jesse Booth

Jesse Booth Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 8, 2014
    Has anybody tried asking George Lucas? I mean, at a convention or something.

2. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012

I looked back at you earlier post:

I don't think the movie or the passage I posted from the book are showing that the deformation is caused because of Palpatine using and being hit by the lightning.

I think what is going on is that we see a powerful Dark Side user, absorbing his own lightning back into himself. So we don't get the reaction that we see when Anakin and Luke are hit. What we get is the essence of the Dark Side twisting Palpatine's "visage". It's not a painful process with burning and smoke like we see with Anakin and Luke, but, it is a process where all that Dark Side energy is being reabsorbed back into Palpatines physical body and by the very nature of the Dark Side is that it twists and decays, so that is what it does to Palpatine.

3. mikeximus

Jan 6, 2012

Nice quotes, I actually came across the one about contact lenses in my search on this issue. I however wasn't sure if the part "Because the real Palpatine is the one who bursts forth at a calculated moment in Episode III just after persuading Anakin to kill Mace. That is when the true person comes out, letting the evil fully manifest itself" was a literal way of looking at it, or was just a metaphor of sorts that at the time Mace dies, Palpatine doesn't have to hide the Sidous persona anymore, not so much the physical appearance.

4. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    It's not 'motivation for the actor', it's Ian's appraisal of the situation. According to him Lucas considered showing Palpatine switching back and forth between the two appearances, which suggests that the post-duel version actually predated the lightning.

Iron_lord likes this.
  5. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    but he never looked that way before. ever. he easily could have appeared gross and scarred in every darth sidious scene in eps 1, 2 and tcw but he didn't.

6. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Except in Sithisis.

Iron_lord likes this.
  7. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    non canon. ha ha!

8. TheFoot

TheFoot Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 5, 2011
    Based on the way it was depicted. I think they are trying to say he didn't quite mean to do that to himself. Who would?

Though Luke didn't really get deformed by the lightning in ROTJ. I guess we are.....supposed to ignore that. :>

9. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Or not.

Iron_lord likes this.
  10. TheFoot

TheFoot Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 5, 2011
    ?

Are you implying that I'm wrong for pointing that out? That I'm wrong for making a silly joke about it? Or are you recognizing the humor I used and actually agreeing with me? Please explain.

11. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    luke was being shocked he wasn't using lightning, having it come back into him, going back out, coming back in a feedback loop like sidious was. this is why sidious was cooked.

12. Jesse Booth

Jesse Booth Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 8, 2014
    If Sidious was electrocuting himself, then how come peeka chaka no wookiee boonawa tweepie Solo? Ho ho hoooo.

[​IMG]

Scarring: 0
    True Form: 0
    Jabba: 1

13. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
  14. Masterjedi688

Masterjedi688 Jedi Youngling

Jun 17, 2014
    It's possible he did although I think the scarring he ended up with was because he had expelled so much energy and power I to the force lighting that it left him scarred and withered like he said when he addressed the senate to tell them that the Jedi made an attempt on his life.

15. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    i'm still of the opinion that the feedback loop between palps lightning and mace saber increased the amount of power coursing through palps body. similar to overdoing an execution by electrocution ala "the green mile". to much juice starts to cook you. i also think most evidence points to this as well but it's only my opinion. [face_skull]

16. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    I agree with this theory. The Force Lightning being reflected off Mace's blade amplified the lightning, resulting in Palpatine's unusual deformities. I think that's the best explanation that can be drawn from the film evidence. After all, Maul, Tyranus and Vader show none of the deformities that Sidious has. So the explanation that the deformities are solely due to use of the Dark Side doesn't make sense.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  17. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    He's been using the dark side longer than they have, and possibly in more extreme ways.

18. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    This week's Illustrated Fact File (Issue 25) went with "it looks like he's being deformed - but really his true face is being revealed"

Arawn_Fenn likes this.
  19. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    what's that from?

20. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The Illustrated Fact File is a magazine, that's recently been relaunched. Issue 25 focuses on RoTS's Palpatine duel among other things.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  21. mikeximus

Jan 6, 2012

Only available in the UK right?

22. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    It can probably be ordered from elsewhere - but it might be only sold directly in the shops in the UK.