main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Did Palpatine even need Anakin?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by beatbox, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Jo Lucas

Jo Lucas Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2015
    Anakin was born to be the most powerful force user ever - and Palpo knew it. So he used him.

2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I didn't move anything. I never said that the first thing he would do after getting out of the hospital, was go to Tatooine and Naboo. You made an assumption. I said, "When the code is changed, Yoda states that it will take the Empire a while to realize that it was changed. Enough time for whoever is left, if anyone, to run and hide. There's no need to depict Vader and Sidious finding out the code was changed in the film. Lucas left it open like that because he never intended to tell that story."

So once Vader finds out that the Code was changed, he went looking for the surviving Jedi. I also said that he went to Naboo to see Padme's remains, but that he wouldn't go to Tatooine because he doesn't think that Obi-wan would hide there.

I'm referring to the planet he was born on, not the planet that he was raised on. Those are two different things. I was born in a town called Fremont, but I spent ten years in a town called Stanton. I consider both to be my home towns.

I never said that he did. I said that he had no reason to think Obi-wan would hide there, because it was too obvious a place to go. You're the one who made a big deal out of nothing.

3. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    No, you said it. In Vader's case the term: first; would mean after his surgery, which would be the first opportunity he has to go ANYWHERE.
    Didn't mention anything about any code. It's irrelevant. More goal post moving.

So whose fault is it that YOU don't say what you mean? You just moved the goal post again. My point is that the films absolutely never imply that Ob-Wan doesn't know where he's from, and that stems from you moving the goal post even before that from my original point: Obi-Wan had zero motivation in the eyes of Vader or the Empire to go to Tatooine. They were unaware of Luke's existence. The logic that Obi-Wan would go to Anakin's homeworld to hide makes not sense. It accomplishes nothing. And it holds no importance more than any other barren planet.

:rolleyes:

4. Master Endz-One

Master Endz-One Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 30, 2017
    Another reason Vader doesn't go to Tatooine is, because the Emperor wants him to erase Vader's memories of being Anakin Skywalker. He's supposed to put that life behind him and focus on being the strongest Sith Lord possible

5. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    He went to Tatooine twice but only after ANH. The first time was on the Emperor's orders and the second time was after he discovered he had a son. And he never went to Naboo in person if I remember correctly, he sent his secret agent who interrogated Padme's mortician and confirmed his suspicion about the rebel pilot.

6. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    You inferred that I meant that the first thing he would do after getting out of the hospital would be to go to Naboo or Tatooine. That's not my fault that you made that assumption. And I did mention the code way back when I posted that there were Jedi survivors. Read my post, #62. I was talking to Martoto.

I'm not at fault because you infer something that I never said. I said where he was from. I can't help you want to distinguish between birthplace and hometown. That is not moving goalposts.

There's nothing that says that he knows where he is from.

I never said that Luke was a factor in Vader thinking that. As to importance, it is where Vader is from. That is enough.

Anakin went back to Tatooine before ANH. He went there with Ahoska to deliver Jabba's son, Grimby, back to him, so that the Republic could close the deal to use Hutt controlled hyperspace lanes.

[​IMG]

7. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Yeah but I'm more thinking in the post-RotS period, he never went to Tatooine of his own free will.

8. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    It was too hot for him in his suit. Plus, mom died.

9. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    So he went to Tatooine to search for and kill Obi-Wan BEFORE he turned to the dark side and Order 66? [face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]

Stop moving the goal post. Obi-Wan was from Coruscant. In the eyes of anyone who did not know about the existence of Luke, Obi-Wan had no motivation to go to Tatooine.

There is also nothing that says he isn't a changling. But because it isn't stated we all accept that he is a human.

No it's not. If it was, Yoda would be hiding on Naboo since that's where Palpatine is from, but was he?

Also Anakin is from Tatooine. We know both he and Palpatine considered Vader to be a different person, and Palpatine wanted him to forget everything about ANakin's life. Vader was from the ashes of Mustafar.

10. Master Endz-One

Jun 30, 2017
    Yes he did need Anakin or different strong Force User. The whole planet would turn against the Emperor if they found out he was a Sith and the Mastermind behind the Clone Wars. A good number of Imperial Officers and Stormtroopers might have left the Empire. Members of the Empire had a different view of the world and did not see themselves or the Empire as evil, the Emperor being revealed as a Sith Lord might change that view. The Emperor had to run the Empire and wanted time to concentrate on learning more Sith knowledge.

11. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    ^^ But where does Anakin come in to the senate not discovering that Palpatine is a Sith? There's no connection between Anakin turning to the dark side and Palpatine remaining the Senator from Naboo in the eyes of the Senate.

The reason Mace gives for executing Palpaitne is that he controls the senate and the courts. Revealing him to the republic would be a waste of time.

12. Master Endz-One

Jun 30, 2017
    He would get revealed using his powers going on missions to destroy the Jedi and the Empire's enemies. You can't hide your powers by hunting down enemies of the Empire. You don't even have time running the Empire, the Emperor didn't even have the time he wanted to collect and study Sith knowledge.

13. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    No, that's not what I was saying at all. You rail on me for not paying attention, why don't you take your own advice.

I'm not moving any goal post. Show me where it says Obi-wan was born on Coruscant?

Right, I know that. What I said was that Vader wouldn't think that he'd be there, not because of Luke, but because it was his homeworld and the memories of the past would get to him. As well as being familiar with it. You're the one making a federal case out of it.

I don't know why this is a big deal to you that he's not from Coruscant?

Tatooine has more meaning to Anakin than Naboo does to Palpatine.

And yet, he cannot.

He doesn't even need Vader for that. That's why the Inquisitors were formed.

[​IMG]

The Grand Inquisitor himself was a former Jedi Temple guard, who went to the dark side.

[​IMG]

Besides, Maul wasn't supposed to have been taken out like he was. He would have been the one going around killing the Jedi afterwards.

14. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    Then what does Anakin going to Tatooine during the clone wars have to do with Darth Vader randomly looking for Obi-Wan on Tatooine?

Why would anyone think Obi-Wan is on Tatooine? Anakin's mother is dead. He no longer has any ties to that planet.

Show me where Darth Vader ever stated that he thought Obi-Wan wouldn't go to Naboo or Tatooine because it was too obvious.

Okay but that's like your opinion man. That's your personal fan fiction; and that's fine, just don't conflate it with canon. Vader never thought that in-universe.

Obi-Wan had no motivation to go to Tatooine outside of protecting Luke. Thus anyone who didn't know about Luke had no reason to think he would be there.

I respect that opinion. However it's not grounded in any canon.

15. Master Endz-One

Jun 30, 2017
    All these Inquisiters put together don't amount to Vader's power. They can't get the job done in the manner Vader does. They can't defeat a powerful Jedi, they couldn't even challenge Maul's or Ahsoka's skills. Vader is needed and to fulfill the rule of 2, no Inquisiter is worthy of being a Sith Lord

16. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    To answer the question, I don't his plan needed Anakin to work since he was planing the Clone Wars long before Anakin was even in the picture when Maul was still his apprentice. He might have been aware of the prophecy of the Chosen One so he probably thought of it as an opportunity to corrupt him but he wasn't 100% sure he had to test him and if Anakin failed his test (e.g. he dies) then that means he would be unworthy to become a Sith apprentice and he would find someone else to do the job. The Sith always seems look for a more powerful ally whether to overthrow the master or to find the next apprentice to replace the weaker one.

17. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    I was talking to Ancient Whills, not you, about Anakin going to Tatooine.

All I said is that Vader thinks that Obi-wan wouldn't go there, since it would be an obvious place to go to. That's it. You could have easily just ignored it and we wouldn't be talking about for a page and a half. Besides, Anakin has family on Tatooine. The Lars and all. As well as his mother's body still laying there. So if you want that as an explanation, then fine.

I never did, it's called speculation.

Ahsoka never fought the Grand Inquisitor. And Vader, for all his power, couldn't take out Kanan and Ezra. And he could barely take out Ahsoka.

18. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    Does that change the fact that no one in the Empire ever stated that Obi-Wan would go there because of how "obvious" it is?

And all I said is that he never thought that, in any SW canon. It's just a thing you're making up.

Oh my god. An accurate statement. [face_plain]. I'm proud of you darth-sinister. I'm proud of you.

19. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    i think that palpatine needed an enforcer and he wanted the best. an enforcer would save him time and effort. he didn't want to deal with all of the people vying for power with prowess. he was more interested in intellectual pursuits and exploring the force (mystical pursuits). if he had the best enforcer, that person would handle all the stuff he wasn't interested in dealing with. to him the best, was stronger than he was, because he saw his value in his visionary abilities, his intellectual abilities and how he could see the future better than anyone (in his opinion). he could also provide guidance. it's the shaman and the warrior. he is the shaman. and he wanted the best warrior. anakin was perfect because he viewed himself as a protector, a warrior. and his loyalty was unflinching, which darth sidious needed that. really maybe the tiny tiny bit of light left in sidious centered here (with anakin). but after anakin lost so much power the image changed. he was no longer as worthy as before. it was a tragedy for them both and with it they paved the darkest course.

20. ThisHurricane

ThisHurricane Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 9, 2015
    Palpatine believed in the chosen one prophecy so by getting Anakin to be his new apprentice he thought he couldn't lose.

21. Master Endz-One

Jun 30, 2017

The 2 Inquisiters we're out classed against Ahsoka and Kanan and Ezra escaped Vader not defeated him. Vader wasn't in mortal danger during his duel with Ahsoks in my opinion.

Do you think the Inquisiters could match power with Vader ?

Going against my own argument, we don't know if Ahsoka is dead.

22. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Yeah Vader wasn't trying to kill them, he wanted to lure the Rebels out like he stated at the start of the episode. I remember Pablo Hidalgo stating in Rebels Recon that the inquisitors were purposefully kept weak by Vader/The Emperor so they won't get any ideas to overthrow them and because Palpatine doesn't like sharing powers. They're not trained as full Sith, just enough to deal with lower level Jedi which is why they perform poorly against against a full-fledged Force wielders such as Ahsoka or Maul. That's when they call their boss to deal with them.
    Considering how Filoni is being coy about it, I think it's very likely that she's not dead.

Master Endz-One likes this.
  23. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    I never said that they did.

I never said that either. Here's an idea, try to avoid mocking people. It makes you look childish.

24. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    No he didn't believe it. Why would he ? The prophecy was about destroying the Sith. That's all the chosen one is for.

Palpatine wanted Anakin for his extremely high Force potential, that's all.

25. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    Um yeah, you did:
    Crazy how the internet works eh? When you post something in a forum it stays there, forever. And no matter how many times you refuse to admit you said it, it's still there.

And making up events that never happened is mature?