main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Did Palpatine kill Padme?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by enigmaticjedi, Jul 26, 2015.

1. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

Exactly. I've met quite a few young women who have been pregnant and who agree with this.

2. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    it's also a myth. mythology has people die this way.

SegNerd likes this.
  3. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Anakin had visions of being freed by Qui Gon.....it happened
    Anakin had visions of his mother suffering and dying.....it happened
    Anakin had visions of his wife dying during child birth....it happened
    Padme was just destined to die during child birth. She wanted to remain active during the Clone War when she should have taken maternity leave on Naboo. Her body was over stressed.

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The first part of your post is accurate, but I don't know how to view the last part of your post with anything other than "pregnant women are weak."

Which is not accurate for someone with an uncomplicated pregnancy.

It's also not accurate for her situation because the pregnancy did not kill her. Giving birth did not kill her. Anakin's "vision" conveniently leaves out the fact that he choked her into unconsciousness. And the fact that she apparently became suicidal or something.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  5. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    no. anakin had visions of padme dying and by trying to stop it he caused it himself. the future is always in motion. visions of the future aren't always what happens.

6. natureboy76

natureboy76 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 11, 2009
    Yes this. Having the once strong character of Padme become the shrinking violet she became in ROTS was the only disappointment I had in the film. Giving up the will to live was lame. Having her husband turn to the dark side should have inspired her fighting instinct and help form the rebellion. Look how diff she was from ep 2 to ep 3. Waste of a strong female character...

jaqen and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  7. Jorus C'Baoth 2882

Jorus C'Baoth 2882 Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 18, 2015
    I've often wondered the same thing myself. Palpatine was such a manipulator that I wouldn't shock me if he purposefully caused Anakin to dream those things to make a situation occur in which Padme would die. If he pulled so many strings to bring the galaxy under his control and wipe out the Jedi, would it be that hard to swallow that he manipulated Anakin into falling to the Dark Side?

8. The Sith Camp

The Sith Camp Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 10, 2015

If Palpatine 'NEVER GAVE A FORCE!' about anyone or anything and also in the EU he MURDERED HOUSE PALPATINE at just 17 years old via Darth Plagueis's goading and being remarked as having the bloodlust of a serial killer ...

9. DARTHKANISS

DARTHKANISS Jedi Grand Master star 1

Sep 8, 2004
    I thought the smile by Palpy was because he finally has Anakin under his control, the Jedi are destroyed and his plan is now complete.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  10. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    How can Palpatine have killed Padme and not know that she was pregnant or she had given birth to Force sensitive children? Even Obi-Wan could sense that upon being in person.

11. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012

Oh I'm sure Palpatine knew she was pregnant.

He did say, "And you'll be able to save your wife from certain death."

I imagine their unborn child was a backup should something happen to Anakin/Vader.

Also I have a theory of sorts that Palpatine knew/suspected the child lived, but decided to let Obi-Wan and Yoda train and raise the child. Kind of like how Palpatine let Obi-Wan and the Jedi raise/train Anakin. One, Palpatine didn't have time to take on second apprentice with his new Empire and then Vader. Two, keeping their offspring away would ensure that Anakin wouldn't get awoken and Vader would continue to grow strong in the Dark Side.

12. The hidden holocron

The hidden holocron Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 16, 2015
    Padmé dies to hide Luke and Leia.

Subtext Mining likes this.
  13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    She could have just hidden them.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  14. Empress Shatterpoint

Empress Shatterpoint Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2013
    Palpatine did not kill Padmé...Despite him orchestrating the events that led to her death, she is the one that decided to die-she basically committed passive suicide.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  15. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    wut?

16. The hidden holocron

Sep 16, 2015
    The medical droid suppose that "Padme lost the will to live" after it failed to find a scientific explanation, but a droid cannot understand the will to live. Palpatine and Vader think babies died, then they will not search them. This could be probably one of the causes of her choice, i think.
    However, someone should have used the Force (who? did she used the Force through Vader?), because she had not medical problems.

17. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    she wasn't choosing to die for a specific reason. her heart was broken.

18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Neither Palpatine nor Vader knew that she was having twins. Due to this fact, Obi-Wan and Yoda's plan as we understood it in the OT was a very good one. Padme could have helped hide them, and herself.

And that would have been a better option than letting her emotions take control of her and giving up on life.

19. The hidden holocron

Sep 16, 2015
    Vader knew that Padme was pregnant, in fact before the funeral ceremony her body is altered to appear still pregnant.

20. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    Why look at it that way? Sometimes pregnancy is very taxing on a woman's body. It has nothing to do with her being weak. Many women that carry twins actually end up needing bed rest during they last part of their pregnancy. I actually know a women that carried twins and had to stay in bed. And I assure you that woman is not even close to being a weak human being. And with that said, I don't like that Padme died of losing the will to live. She should've died from complications caused by her being Force chocked or simply from complications from pregnancy. Either would've been better.

21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I was on bed rest for part of my first pregnancy, but due to actual physical complications, not "oh noes I'm so emotional because hormones!" bull****.

But a normal pregnancy is not taxing on a woman's body, our bodies are set up for pregnancy, and Padme's pregnancy was not complicated.

I agree with your last statement.

22. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    I know. That's why I said sometimes. Being pregnant with twins ups the chances of having problems. Anyway, regardless of what the droid says, believing Padme was having complications due to a rough pregnancy makes her death less irritating. A rough pregnancy combined with being Force chocked makes it much more believable. That's why I look at it that way. Never been a fan, in any story, of people dying from a broken heart.[face_not_talking]

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  23. DarthTalonx

DarthTalonx Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2014
    How did he know about Anakin's visions? Yoda didn't seem to know exactly who Anakin was thinking about?

24. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012

Yoda probably thought he meant Obi-Wan.

25. Darth Mikey

Darth Mikey Jedi Master star 3

Sep 7, 2015

This:

Luke : "Leia! Do you remember your Mother? Your REAL Mother?"
    Leia : " Just a little bit. She died when I was very young."
    Luke : " What do you remember?"
    Leia: " Just images,really. Feelings."
    Luke : " Tell me."
    Leia : " She was very beautiful. Kind, but sad. Why are you asking me this?"
    Luke : " I have no memory of my mother. I never knew her."

...okay, the fact that Luke asks Leia about her "Real" mother, and she doesn't ask/imply "What do you mean?" makes me believe that Luke and Leia both know she was adopted by the Organa's. Hell, maybe it's common knowledge in the Galaxy, I don't know. But the fact that she "remembers" her, but Luke doesn't, even though they had close to the same amount of time with her, and the theories of Leia "sensing her through the Force" as a baby that somehow became imprinted on her ( a theory I heard years ago) is, to me, kinda hard to justify, considering Luke was not only stronger in the Force, but also was right next to Padme when she died, and was briefly even touched by her. Yet he doesn't remember anything.

Lucas wrote himself into a corner by killing Padme, yet this conversation still existed between the twins. Would've been better if a heartbroken Padme lived, and raised Leia briefly in the House of Organa on Alderaan. Then, upon seeing and hearing all the evils Darth Vader was committing, she finally gives up, broken in spirit and heart, but knowing her daughter would be raised and loved by her old friend Bail.