main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Did Palpatine Study the Light Side of the Force?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth Formidious, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Darth Formidious

Darth Formidious Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    I remember Palpatine said to Anakin in ROTS, that one most study all aspects of the force to unravel the mysteries of it. I first thought this was a form of manipulation, it doesn't fit right that Palpatine would ever come close to the light side of the force. But this got me thinking, is it possible that Palpatine did study the light side of the force and reject its teachings? Could Palpatine have integrated some aspects of the light side in his dark side practices? :)

2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Maybe the Sith study the light side in order to determine it's weaknesses.

3. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    According to him, yes he did. I wouldn't imagine Palpatine to be so stupid as to discount the light side of the Force entirely. He probably scoffed at the more spiritual idealisms, but took them seriously nonetheless. As the great General Sun Tzu said, "Know thy self, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."

4. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    Sith lie.

but often mix the truth with what they say.

but ultimately Sidious was trying to lure Anakin anyway he could, saying "I know every aspect of the force" is like saying "I am a jack of all trades"

trust him at your peril.

5. Darth Formidious

Darth Formidious Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    I do perhaps agree with this, event though I have a hard time imagining Palpatine ever studying the light side. :D

6. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Palpatine said that he knew everything about the Force, including the dark side. That doesn't make it a lie. He just understood why the Jedi refused to use the dark side as the Sith did. Many of the basic tenants of the Force is what the Jedi teach as well as the Sith. The difference is that the Sith aren't afraid to use their power to the fullest. But, the thing is that the Sith don't realize that there are things that even they do not know. Which is what Qui-gon has learned and teaches Yoda and Obi-wan, who in turn teach Anakin and Luke.