main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Did Palpatine Use Telekinesis to plant Fear of Padme dying in child birth i to Anakin's mind?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by SkywalkerJedi02, Nov 13, 2014.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I almost gave you a "like" for the second paragraph. I didn't want Anakin to have a hand in her death at all, but I have said in the past that Palpatine should have had her killed and framed the Jedi for it.

And her "losing the will to live" was terrible for her character.

2. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    but I have said in the past that Palpatine should have had her killed and framed the Jedi for it.
    -----------

too predictable for my liking.

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  3. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Well said, my friend.

Having a broken heart isn't terrible for one's character I genuinely fail to understand people's lack of empathy or receptiveness to the possibility of dying from a broken heart.

mikeximus likes this.
  4. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Although this has been rehashed multiple times in multiple threads, I like to think in my head canon that she didn't "lose the will to live" because she had a broken heart, but because she knew the twins would be better off. Although, I know of no mother who would do that willingly. Perhaps her strength in character would have allowed her to do so, despite the immeasurable pain and guilt she would have felt.
    My other theory involves some sort of Force energy, but it's much more convoluted and it has been pointed out to me how many holes it has.

I disagree that Palpatine should have framed the Jedi, but there is really no other obvious way that could have gone. It's either Padmé dying through Anakin or Palpatine. Perhaps if the Jedi assumed her a supporter of Palpatine and Anakin, someone who was supporting the Sith, they could have seen her as dangerous. It would have spawned further hatred from Anakin.

That seems out of character for the Jedi, though. As well as a very rash assumption from them, knowing Padmé's character.

All in all I agree with The_Phantom_Calamari ...the visions were not anything but the inevitable destiny of Anakin's character.

5. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

I find it hard to believe she thought the twins would be better off without her. I think people mistake losing the will to live with wanting to die. Padme didn't self-terminate through a sustained act of will. She'd just been through too much and had suffered too much heartbreak, and her body couldn't take it anymore. It's not that she was weak-willed or suicidal. No one alive, not even Obi-Wan, was closer to Anakin than she was. She had a direct psychic link with him, and she probably felt his pain and terror as he was being operated on without anesthetic and encased in that metal suit. The only reason Anakin didn't die from the shock was because he had his hate to sustain him, but Padme didn't have that.

I'm sure she wanted to stay alive to care for her children. I'm sure she wanted to stick around to prove that Anakin still had good in him. I'm sure she wanted to fight back against the Empire. But she couldn't--her time was up.

e:

Of course it's unlikely. That's why Padme didn't seem to take Anakin's vision very seriously.

But it's what Anakin saw. And he wasn't just going to write it off as impossible. I think it's part of what made him feel so helpless. Padme was a senator on the central planet of the Republic, with access to the absolute best medical care in the galaxy....and yet, according to his vision of the future, she was going to die in childbirth. What could he do at that point? There was no logical action he could have taken to prevent the tragedy he foresaw. Short of learning to cheat death, that is.

Arawn_Fenn likes this.
  6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    There's certainly a reference to some kind of link in the junior novelization (while Anakin is waiting in the Council Chamber, just before he decides to go and intervene in Mace Windu's attempt to arrest Palpatine) - and though I don't recall her sensing his pain later, it's a common speculation.

His agony somehow became an invisible hand, stretching out through the Force, a hand that found her, far away, alone in her apartment in the dark, a hand that felt the silken softness of her skin and the sleek coils of her hair, a hand that dissolved into a field of pure energy, of pure feeling that reached inside her -
    And now he felt her, really felt her in the Force, as though she could have been some kind of Jedi, too, but more than that: he felt a bond, a connection, deeper and more intimate than he'd ever had before with anyone, even Obi-Wan; for a precious eternal instant he was her... he was the beat of her heart and he was the motion of her lips and he was her soft words as though she spoke a prayer to the stars -
    I love you, Anakin. I am yours, in life, and in death, wherever you go, whatever you do, we will always be one. Never doubt me, my love. I am yours.

The_Phantom_Calamari likes this.
  7. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Over her man turning bad? Really?

I understand and sympathize when it happens to an old person whose spouse of decades upon decades dies. Or a parent whose child dies.

But dying because "he's bad and doesn't love me anymore?" Just no.

8. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    ^^ For that record, I am not sure that paragraph is appropriate for young people. :p

9. SkywalkerJedi02

SkywalkerJedi02 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 3, 2013
    On the psychic connection thing I believe it to be true as when he is in chambers wondering what to do hoping for another way a more logical and good way to save her he reaches out to her and cries as he feels what he is about to do is the only way and he deeply doesn't want to do it as he knows it be wrong and Padme cries too as she could feel his pain but didn't know what it was about as if she did she could of talked him out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    That's the "regular" novelization, isn't it?

11. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Yes, AFS, I am allowed to find people's lack of empathy baffling.

mikeximus likes this.
  12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    You're entitled to think whatever you want. *shrug*

But no, I don't have any empathy for a women who "loses the will to live" because her entire identity is wrapped up in what a man does with himself or his opinion of her.

Talk about setting women's rights back a couple of centuries. This is as terrible as Catherine Earnshaw. Thanks Lucas. [face_plain]

13. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Nope - it's the junior one, written by Patricia C. Wrede. It's rare, but sometimes that one actually elaborates more on a particular scene than the Stover one.

14. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    It appears word-for-word in my Stover novelization on p344 ( paperback version ).

15. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    My memory's playing up again - I was thinking of this quote - which I thought I'd quoted before - but I just searched and grabbed the wrong one.

The Chancellor's voice spoke in his mind, words he had not said before. "You do know that if the Jedi destroy me, any chance of saving Padme will be lost."
    No! Anakin reached out blindly, not to the the Chancellor, but to the one he loved. To Padme. And then he sensed her presence, as if she were there, not just in the Jedi Council Chamber, but in his own mind and heart - a true joining through the Force.

Padme was alone in the central room of her apartment, when she felt Anakin's presence in the room with her. What is he doing here at this hour? she thought, and looked up. She blinked and shook her head. The room was empty, but just for an instant she thought she had seen the Jedi Council Chamber.
    And then the connection took hold fully, and she knew. Anakin was there, alone in the Council Chamber - and he was here, too, with her. She felt his love, and his fear for her - the terrible fear that was eating at his heart. The fear that she would die. She hadn't known how terrible his fear was.
    I am not afraid to die. She'd told him that once, when they were being led into the arena on Geonosis for execution, and it was still true. She was only afraid that he would not know how much she loved him. As the Force connection began to fade, she spoke again the words she had said then, when she first declared her love for him. Anakin wouldn't hear them, of course, but perhaps he would feel the love behind them, the love that was stronger and deeper now than it had ever been.

"I truly, deeply love you," Padme's voice said in Anakin's mind. Before I die, I want you to know."
    The last of the Force connection faded, but her words echoed. Before I die, ,before I die, before I die. Anakin shuddered. Padme, no! But the link was gone, she was gone, and he was alone in the Council Chamber. As he would be alone, always and everywhere, once Padme was dead.
    "No!" The word tore from his lips. He was on his feet, panting as if he had been running. I can't do this! I can't let her die! And then he was running, out of the Council Chamber toward the platform where his air speeder was parked.

16. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

That strikes me as a rather reductive way of describing the situation. Her husband turned evil, killed a bunch of kids, transformed the democratic government she devoted her life to into a totalitarian dictatorship, and choked her into unconsciousness. Then (it is implied) she was forced to psychically experience all of Anakin's inhumanly awful pain as she gave premature birth to two children whose lives would inevitably be filled with suffering. I don't blame her for losing the will to live because of all that. I probably would have, too.

She went through like six different ultimate nightmare scenarios all on the same day, in rapid succession. She wasn't just bummed about some guy.

mikeximus likes this.
  17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Her husband's choices should not cause her to lose the will to live. Why does her happiness depend on him being a nice guy?

She obviously made a bad choice in marrying him but what is so noble about being defined by someone else's behavior or one's own misconceptions about another person?

18. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The junior novel does show her feelings just before she falls unconscious on Mustafar - but it also has what's left of the connection break as well:

In despair, she reached for that connection they had had through the Force, for that one moment when she had known him completely even though they hadn't been together.
    But even a Jedi couldn't create a Force connection just by trying, and Padme was no Jedi. Desperate as she was, she could find only a faint trace of what they had shared, thinner than spider silk. It still joined her with a trace of ... goodness? Sensing that, she felt a stirring of hope. She spoke to that part of him, trying to call back the Anakin who was her husband, her lover, the father of her child. "Stop now," she begged. "Come back! I love you!"
    For a moment - for the barest instant - she thought she would succeed. Then Anakin's expression change. "Liar!" he cried.
    He was staring at something behind her. Padme turned, and saw Obi-Wan standing in the door of the skiff. He tricked me! "No!" she said, knowing that this new Anakin would never listen to her now.
    "You've betrayed me!" Rage made Anakin's face unrecognizable. He lifted his hand and curled his fingers into a fist. Padme felt herself choking, unable to breathe.
    Don't! Don't kill our child! But she had no breath to cry out with, and even the ghost of the Force connection was gone. The world darkened, and she felt herself falling. Her last conscious thought was a feeling of relief. She would rather die, now, than live and have to watch what her Anakin had become.

That's probably the point when the "lost the will to live" condition kicks in - and she only regains consciousness on the operating table by which point it's probably too late:

"Take her to the medical center, quickly."
    They have a medical center; good. Obi-Wan had been half afraid that the medical facilities on an isolated asteroid would be too primitive to deal with whatever ailed Padme. She should have come round once Darth Vader stopped choking her, but she hadn't - but Obi-Wan didn't know much about pregnant women. Maybe something else was wrong.
    With relief, he handed Padme over to the medical droids and went to sit in the observation room with Bail and Yoda. Moments later, one of the droids came up to the window. "Medically, she is completely healthy," the droid said. "For reasons we can't explain, we are losing her."
    "She's dying?" Obi-Wan said, horrified. No, no! He couldn't take another loss like this.
    But the medical droid bobbed its head. "We don't know why. She has lost the will to live."
    I know why, Obi-Wan thought. Anakin has broken her heart.
    "We need to operate quickly if we are to save the babies," the droid continued. "She's carrying twins."
    "Save them, we must," Yoda commanded. "They are our last hope."
    The medical droids went to worl. They insisted that Obi-Wan join them, though he wasn't sure what he could do. But the droids felt that human contact would help, and - these were Anakin's children, and this was the last thing Obi-Wan could do for his dead friend. He stood by, holding Padme's hand and feeling helpless.
    As the droids delivered the first of the babies, Padme stirred. She looked at Obi-Wan in puzzlement, then she saw the medical droids and seemed to realize what was happening. "Is it a girl?" she whispered.

19. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Not just Anakin's betrayal, but the downfall of the Republic and all the losses suffered during the war. Anakin's actions was just the final tipping point in an emotional breaking point that was about to burst.

Iron_lord likes this.
  20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    My point stands. She allowed other people's behavior to determine her own happiness.

I can actually sympathize with her regarding her life's work being flushed down the toilet by a man she helped put into office. But her "solution" was still too ****ing terrible for me to remain sympathetic, especially given that Anakin's behavior was that "final straw", and the fact that she could have done so much undercover to help the Alliance.

And I'm not buying the "she died to keep Anakin from sensing her across the galaxy" argument.

She just gave up. She chose an emotional and weak response.

21. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Going by the junior novel, she "gave up" during Anakin's choking of her - by the time she regained consciousness the droids were already operating on her.

22. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    In the film she's conscious enough to speak to Obi-Wan before they even got there.

23. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Only a moment of consciousness:

215 INT. MUSTAFAR-VOLCANO EDGE-DAY OBI-WAN looks in horror as ANAKIN becomes engulfed in flames. OBI-WAN can't watch him as he struggles to climb the embankment, covered in flames.
    He runs back to Padme's ship as ANAKIN drops, smoldering, near the top of the lava pit.

216 EXT. MUSTAFAR-LANDING PLATFORM-NABOO SKIFF-DAY OBI-WAN makes his way to the SKIFF. He looks for Padme. THREEPIO sticks his head out the door of the SKIFF.
    C-3PO: Master Kenobi! We have Miss Padme on board. Please, please hurry. We should leave this dreadful place.
    OBI-WAN runs on board the Naboo Skiff.

217 EXT. MUSTAFAR-LANDING PLATFORM-NABOO SKIFF-DAY PADME lies on a cot or bed inside the ship. OBI-WAN walks over and checks on her.
    PADME: Obi-Wan? Is Anakin all right?
    OBI-WAN looks at her sadly and does not answer. He brushes her hair back. Padme drops back into unconsciousness. ARTOO watches over her.
    OBI-WAN rides in the co-pilot's station. He sits looking pensive. THREEPIO drives.

Odd that neither author mentioned it though.

24. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    As are you or anyone else, AFS. I do not read Padme's situation as you do and I don't think it makes her pathetic or any such thing. *Shrug*

25. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Giving up over just Anakin? Definitely not the strongest choice.
    Giving up after realizing her life's work was now completely destroyed because of her decisions, the twins and her were in danger, and she had been betrayed by the person who she thought loved her? That would be devastating for anyone.

I personally wouldn't give up over that (however I can only guess at the full magnitude of emotions in the situation). I don't blame her for it. She had fought for so long it makes complete sense that all of those things would kill her inside and out. If not then, she probably would eventually become overcome with guilt, sadness, and pain from the events. I definitely can see why she would give up at that point. I think she understood it was too far from her control and too much for her to handle.

Iron_lord likes this.