main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Did Palpy throw the steel chunk at Obi

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by SaskaJedi, Nov 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joshuavance

joshuavance Jedi Youngling star 3

May 15, 2002
    I have to disagree with that Lord Sinister.

I think the segment is entirely vague enough to be percieved as Sidious aiding Dooku. Either way, whether yelling "get him" to Obi-Wan, or in a subtle manner to Dooku, the end result is the same, Palpatine was rather deliberately and blatantly alerting Dooku to the presence of the rapidly advancing Obi-Wan on his behind!

It is the timing of the "get him" that is entirely suspect. It is entirely too coincedental, that Lucas chose that particular moment to suddenly cut to a close up of Palpatine saying "GET HIM" when he had been silent during the whole fight previously. Additionally, it is equally ironic given that there was another quick close up of Palpatine feigning fear or concern after Dooku drops the catwalk on obi-Wan.

EDIT: I think it was percieved I agreed with the premise of Sidious assisting Dooku with the catwalk.

No I believe Palpatine assisted Dooku in regards to warning him that Obi-Wan was approaching him from behind, not in levitating the catwalk.

2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I can buy that, but I don't think Dooku could hear him since it was under Palpatine's breath and there's a lot of noise. The hum of three Lightsabers, blaster fire, the falling Super Battle Droids and other sounds. He could've heard it or not.

3. Mos_Eisley

Mos_Eisley Jedi Youngling star 3

May 23, 2004
    If you're being serious, I completely disagree. Filmmakers and artists throw things in their work all the time just for fun and in Star Wars especially.

George Lucas has made numerous comments in the DVD commentaries and making of documentaries (like the SE releases) about stuff that was put in just to have fun.

There's literally hundreds of examples of this in the saga, especially the prequels.

GL talked about how the dewbacks were added in ANH 'out of whimsy', as I think he put it.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar as Sigmund Freud once said.

4. i_dont_know

i_dont_know Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2005
    I had actually thought it was just Palpatine pretending to encourage Obi-Wan, but I could believe this interpretation.

5. sithrules70

sithrules70 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2005
    heard this arguments before i have [face_tired]

6. d_arblay

d_arblay Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2005
    well he trained Qui-Gon, who trained Obi-Wan. Probably a fighting style. Same reason why Anakin has a hard time dealing with him too. Indirectly, Dooku trained both Anakin and Obi-Wan.

7. Jedi General Gelderd

Jedi General Gelderd Jedi Master star 5

Mar 6, 2004
    Palpatine is just loving the front seat show he has of Obi being knocked around and blasted by Super Battle Droids whilst Anakin is getting the upper hand on Dooku and kicking his arse, only when Dooku throws Obi and Anakin against the wall, we see Palpatine and a little..hmm that didn't look very good..but soon, as we see in the 3-shot in front of the chair, Palpatine is once again loving the sight of Anakin hacking away at that old man Dooku!

IMO.

[face_peace]

8. sithrules70

May 28, 2005
    Did Palpy throw the steel chunk at Obi

no,dooku did.

9. Get_in_Gear

Get_in_Gear Jedi Youngling star 5

Nov 29, 2004
    I think the first time Palpatine uses the Force onscreen in the entire saga is when we see him vault from behind his desk to face the Jedi posse.

Dooku brings down the gantry.
    Palpatine is just feigning excitment.

10. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Actually, Palpatine is wincing. Not because he cares about the welfare of Obi-Wan, but because it's a human reflex to wince. I usually find myself wincing when Dooku lowers that thing on top of Obi, because it looks like it's crushing his legs.

Dooku - he likes hurting Obi's legs
    /LM

11. DarthButt

DarthButt Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2003
    Yeah no kidding...whats up with that? I could have swore his legs were gone after that, and there would be this new revalation that Obi-Wan in fact had fake legs throughout the CT all this time and we never knew it...like another GL shocker. Then the next thing you know, he's walking like nothing happened. I still can't figure that one out.

12. -HD-YaebGinn

-HD-YaebGinn Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 31, 2005
    that he doesnt like having things fall on him?

13. sithrules70

May 28, 2005
    i dont see why dooku would need palps help to drop the steel chunk on top of obi wan,i wont go over the arguments of who is stronger than who because they are irrelevant for the thread's purpose but why would dooku(very experienced ex jedi and now sith lord) would need help for such a simple force attack ??

did obi wan need help to drop the container on the magna guards on utapau ?? hell no !!

14. Greedo_forever

Greedo_forever Jedi Youngling star 3

May 24, 2005
    It was totally Count Dooku who willed the CG to drop that steel chunk.

Its plain and simple.

15. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    DarthButt: I think we were just supposed to be worried about Obi-Wan, but not know for sure if he was really injured. The chunk just holds his legs pinned to the floor, but since we see it from a distance, we can't really tell if it's crushing him or not.

Distance - it distorts
    /LM

16. stajedi

stajedi Jedi Youngling

Nov 15, 2005
    no the look Palpatine gave was a sign of feeling sorry for Obi that he now has a bid chunkof steel on him and Dooku does it not Palpatine didn't you see the mosion with his that force the chunk on to his body.

17. stajedi

stajedi Jedi Youngling

Nov 15, 2005
    No dooku just lightly put it on him he didn't want to hurt Obi he just wanted him out of the way so that he could see Anakin's anger he had no intention to get his hands or head sliced off well Palpatine did.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.