main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

** Did people living in the SW universe believed in superheroes? **

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Anakenobi, Jul 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anakenobi

Anakenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 24, 2004
    I mean, like every culture has their folk heroes in the real world.

The Babilonians had Gilgamesh. Greeks had Hercules. The Hebrews had Samson. Modern day Americans have their Batman/Spiderman type of heroes.

So what did lil' Luke admired as a heroe while he was growing up in Tatooine? Or any other kid in the old/New Republic for that fact.

Perhaps that's why Luke was so bored since he had no one to look up to.

2. brook_33

brook_33 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2003
    who knows, maybe luke admired kenobi. according to eu, kenobi had saved luke several times, once from a kryat dragon. i'd guess anyone who remebers the jedi consider them heros, but this thread might be best for the eu section, since it isnt mentioned in the films.

3. Blackout

Blackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2000
    Well, while it's not strictly a superhero, bear in mind that Luke's got a toy/model T16 Skyhopper that he 'plays' with - despite actually having a real one. So perhaps there are 'heroes' from the Academy that he looks up to, either ficticious or real.
    Kind of like kids reading WWII tales of bravery and valour etc, they may be fiction, but they're grounded in real events. Luke certainly perks up when Ben mentions the Clone Wars...

:) {||||| ?||} ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

4. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    I think Luke just looks at Kenobi has a desert hermit and nothing more.

Well in Shatterpoint little children are talking about how great Jango Fett is. Mace Windu tries to remember when children looked up to the Jedi. So Jedi and bounty hunters were looked up to by certain groups.

-Seldon

5. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Blackout: yeah, Luke certainly gets interested when Ben mentions the Clone Wars..I imagine all sorts of people from that would be looked upon as heroes. The Empire seems like a pretty boring (albeit dangerous) place to live; Luke probably wishes he'd been a clone. :p

6. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004
    This is purely speculation and has no spoiler intent attached to it whatsoever, but I think that at the end of the clone wars people will see Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi as reknowned heroes, if not superheroes. They are clearly the studs of the SW universe.

7. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    In Tatooine Ghost is mentions that the people of Mos Espa look at Anakin as a hero. He inspired all of the slaves. Many of them do not think that Anakin is congruent to Vader. They argue that Anakin Skywalker was a good man and a hero and not the same person as Darth Vader.

Those people had their beloved Anakin.

-Seldon

8. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    I can see no conceivable reason why people would not have superheroes in the SW galaxy.

9. Jedimancer

Jedimancer Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 16, 2004
    I'm agreeing with Severian, I think, about the Jedi-superhero thing. While of course I would think that in SW universe there'd be plenty of societies which had their own fictional kinds of superheros, I think most of the people in galaxy probably see Jedi AS the superheros, and many of them, before the Clone Wars, at least, probably consider the Jedi's invincible or see them in a demi-god kind of light. For example, Anakin in TPM says that no one can kill a Jedi, and at the beginning of TPM the two leaders of the Trade Federation are absolutely terrified of the Jedi. And, by our world's standards, Jedi are superheros; a regular person can't block a laser bolt or jump fifty feet in the air.

10. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    For the Jedi to be superheroes, though, it would depend on your definition of a superhero. For example, a lot of people in today's society view Superman, Batman, Spiderman, etc, as superheroes -- they are fictional characters with super powers who are the heroes of their respective stories. However, the Jedi are living, existing beings, therefore not falling under one of the categories of which we view superheroes.

They may be heroes, in their own right -- but not a superhero -- even if they have their own version of "super powers." They may be the heroes of the galaxy, but they would not be superheroes in our modern day sense of the term.

11. fosh-bantus88

fosh-bantus88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 2003
    folklore and heroes are apparent in almost every human culture on earth.

since there are alot of human's in the GFFA, it is reasonable to assume that it is also in their nature to believe in such legendary figures of justice and strength.

12. jedi_rebel3789

jedi_rebel3789 Jedi Youngling

Jul 4, 2004
    Luke instantly became a hero when he destroyed the Death Star(well sort of) with of course the help of Han.
    I was always under the impression that Luke looked up to pilots like Biggs. No neither Biggs nor Luke can shoot webs or fly (naturally) but morally they are heroes. Sooo I'm basically agreeing with people posted ahead of me.

13. Phaeryx

Phaeryx Jedi Youngling

Mar 24, 2004
    "However, the Jedi are living, existing beings, therefore not falling under one of the categories of which we view superheroes."

I see what you're trying to say, but that doesn't make sense. If superheroes are defined as heroes with superhuman abilities, then SW is a fantasy universe in which they do exist, just as the worlds of DC and Marvel are fantasy worlds in which superheroes exist. In those worlds Superman, Spider-Man, etc., are also "living, existing beings."

You are trying to compare the SW universe with the real world, and that comparison simply does not work. You are talking about "categories of which WE (us, in the real world) view superheroes," but WE do not live in the SW universe. THEY already do have superheroes-- the Jedi.

14. Blackout

Blackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2000
    You are trying to compare the SW universe with the real world, and that comparison simply does not work.

It does work. Welcome to the JC Boards ;) You've probably already noticed that a great many of the threads in here are started on a comparitive basis.
    And yes, it is easier to say "no, it's a film", but then there'd be no speculation and no real discussion here, would there?

I think the way it's unfolded it's meant as: When you've got Jedi living down the street next door from you, yes they've got 'powers' and abilities that not everyone has, and yes they use them for 'truth, justice etc'. As amazing as they are, they're also accepted by people. So what do the kids read in their comics? What do you think the superheroes in the comics can do, that the Jedi can't? :)

Well, the jedi can't fly. Not properly, so maybe it's just that? Time-travel? There's another one.

:) {||||| ?||} ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

15. Phaeryx

Phaeryx Jedi Youngling

Mar 24, 2004
    But that's my point-- in the Marvel universe you have Spider-Man living next door, superheroes everywhere, accepted by people as fact-- so what's in the comic books that THEY read? Stories of super-superheroes?

16. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    TPM-Anakin seemed to think Jedi were superheroes

17. Vongchild

Vongchild Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2004
    There was a justice league episode about the justice guild, a group of superheroes who the people in the marvel universe read about.

It was like Catman, Streak, and a few others.

The jedi and the mandalorians seem to be superheros in the star wars universe.

but maybe the kids in the empire played with darth vader action figures like my cousin has her olsen tweins barbies?

18. Dark_side_fatty

Dark_side_fatty Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 26, 2002

Eh, anyway, yes I suppose it's very possible that they did have superheros.

Also, Gilgamesh wasn't a superhero.

19. Darth-Jaguar

Darth-Jaguar Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 1, 2000
    Jedi can be superheroes while still be next door. By telling stories about them, stuff can be added and tweaked about what their abilities and what they can actually do with those abilities, so they end up becoming mythical like the Samurai, Shaolin Monks, and the Ninja. Sure they can do a lot of the things the stories say, but since their abilities are mysterious and awe inspiring to those who don't know, so stuff is embelished or added on to the stories that they can't actually do. And like what has been mentioned, Anakin thought that the Jedi can't be killed, but that we know isn't true because they're beings like everyone else and can receive wounds/injuries that are fatal.

20. Darth-Jaguar

Darth-Jaguar Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 1, 2000
    Did I kill the thread or something?

21. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    Children in WWI Germany collected trading cards with German Ace pilots on them. Thus the pilots were the heroes of the time. I can see Luke perhaps looking up to some legendary pilots, maybe pretending to fly with them when he's playing with his toy ship.

Also, Gilgamesh wasn't a superhero.

Yes he was. He was an Avenger for a while.

22. SHB-JR

SHB-JR Jedi Master star 4

Aug 18, 2000
    " Also, Gilgamesh wasn't a superhero.

Yes he was. He was an Avenger for a while. "

LOL [FACE_LAUGH]
    That is totally hilarious ! Best thing I've heard in AGES !! *Claps*

But I guess you'd have know your mythology AND be a Marvel fan to get the most humour out of it

SHB JR

23. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    But I guess you'd have know your mythology AND be a Marvel fan to get the most humour out of it

It helps, yes.

24. Fallen_Jedi21

Fallen_Jedi21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 22, 2004
    From the Paxi Sylo databank entry at the OS:

For ten generations, the Sylo family maintained a large farm in the outback of Dantooine. Griggen and Tashna Sylo worked hard to harvest tritacale and yot beans, supplying a larder to feed their family of seven children, as well as to sell offworld.

The youngest child, Paxi, was the daydreamer of the family. The quiet soft-spoken child would sketch quietly on his datapad or on spare flimisplast, doodling tales of heroic adventure on distant worlds. He had heard fragments of stories of the Jedi Knights, and how they were engaged in an epic conflict called the Clone Wars, but Dantooine was so far off the beaten path that such stories might as well have been fiction.

This all changed one fateful day when Paxi was nine years old. The Confederacy sought to gain a foothold on Dantooine, to further the protection of nearby Muunilinst. The Jedi responded by sending one of their greatest warriors, Mace Windu, with a clone army to repel the Confederacy.

Paxi watched with awe as Windu and his troops defeated the Separatists. He was spellbound, and for the next few weeks, his doodle-datapad was filled with crude illustrations of Mace Windu single-handedly destroying a seismic tank. It was all the young boy could talk about.

History has lost track of whatever became of Paxi Sylo. By the time of the Empire, the Sylo farm had been completely abandoned. However, at the height of Palpatine's New Order, a bootleg animated holographic video file began propagating in the shadier parts of the HoloNet. It depicted the heroic exploits of Mace Windu on Dantooine.

The Imperial Security Bureau did what it could to stop proliferation of such a treasonous piece of media, but it gained a cult status among would-be Rebels. Though the holovid is unattributed, the style does match up with the early illustrations of a young Paxi Sylo.

This would seem to suggest that the exaggerated jedi abilities seen in the clone wars cartoon are what people of the GFFA viewed as superheroes.

25. openmind

openmind Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    To me already Anakin believed that Jedi were superheroes and they can't be killed, free slaves, and Jedi do appear to fly. Ask Obi Wan ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.