main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Did Portman do a good job as Padme?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Slowpokeking, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Tarkin's Fuzzy Slippers

Tarkin's Fuzzy Slippers Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 18, 2014
    Is that because I'm going down a path you can't follow?? lol

Also as to Portman's role in the Thor movies, I see it more as Jane not being as well written as the others in them, though the most well written characters in those movies are both Loki, and Darcy(as the comic relief) for the most part.

_Sublime_Skywalker_ likes this.
  2. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    I find Portmans performance to be, how should I say this, dull. Not bad, not good, just there. Her performance just wasn't memorable to me as she was perhaps the dullest in TPM. I didn't like how wooden she sounded in TPM , especially when she was in queen form though I know they enhanced her voice a bit. Not a bad actress by any means but not really good either, at least in the PT.

3. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    She had the same clunky sort of script that everyone else had but I don't know if she had the same enthusiasm that carried some of the other actors through. Ewan is/was massive fan of Star Wars AND Alec Guiness so tried extra hard, Hayden Christensen probably saw it as a chance to break through and make a name, Ian Mcdiarmid was clearly having the time of his life being a borderline panto baddy by the end, Liam Neeson, Sam Jackson, they're old pros, a stodgy script with some awkward lines won't faze them. I think to Portman it was just a job, she wasn't going to go above and beyond the same way these others might have done, or would have needed more guidance/support from the director to hit those notes, and that's never really been Lucas' style. She did well enough, she's very talented, but I've seen her do a lot better so from that perspective I guess it's a little disappointing.

Chancellor Yoda likes this.
  4. Darth Zannah

Darth Zannah Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 28, 2014
    portman did an outstanding job...her performance in PM was one that seemed beyond her age at the time...she acted like a true adult of royalty...in AOTC she really felt like the mother of luke and leia...in ROTS...i really felt the emotion of her heartbreak...theres a reason she won an oscar

5. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    I am not sure how much can be blamed on the actor or actress for a bad job. I really don't know for sure how it works, but aren't they kind of told what to do?

I don't think what she was given may have been the best. I think the acting was okay. Not too bad and not too good, but that may have not been because of her.
    I don't like the star ship scene with her and Anakin in TPM, losing the will to live, and the arena stuff in AOTC, but that stuff wasn't up to her.

She could only do so much. I know she is capable of good acting though.

6. IG Lancer

IG Lancer Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 8, 2015
    I don't think there was to play well that character. Padme is quite...incongruent?

The first mistake was to make her a 13 years old elected chief of state instead of an hereditary princess...In order for a kid that age to be elected for that post, she would need tenfold the brains of Leonardo Da Vinci, the charisma of Che Guevara, the leadership skill of George Washington and the diplomacy skills of Talleyrand, but she never strikes me as such a wonder. Padme never gets to show her informed geniality.

Plus we never watch the other characters reacting appropiately to the fact that she was voted president of her planet at 13...

And then, for some reason, that genius falls for the creepy, whiny manchild Anakin. Yeah, I know it happens in real life and stuff, but it made her look less than wise. And their love story is, as people have said, dull.

Also, during most of the first film, Padme is trying to pass unnoticed, disguised as a handmaid, while her body double dresses as a princess and acts solemn.

Portman did all she could do with her script.