main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Did Qui-gon care for Anakin more than Obi-wan?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Blu-Bladed-Jedi, Oct 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blu-Bladed-Jedi

Blu-Bladed-Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 2005

The reason I ask is because there are a few moments where Qui-Gon in a way direspects his own Padawan.

1. Qui-Gon told the council Obi-Wan wa ready for the trials and knighthood just so he could begin training Anakin. Yes Obi-Wan was a great padawan but, he didn't mention Obi-Wan was ready until after they said you can't train two padawans.

2. His last words to his own padawan said absolutely nothing about Obi-Wan but were all about training Anakin and how great he would be.

It almost seems unfair for how deeply Obi-Wan cared for Qui-Gonna and once this little boy comes around he doesnt give that same car back to Obi but to Anakin?

Thoughts anyone?

2. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    Qui Gon and Obi Wan will always have this deep relationship,the only kind of relationship a master and apprentice have. Just like Anakin and Obi Wan,and most likely Qui gon and Dooku.

He focuses on Anakin more because he needs his attention more,Obi Wan is grown up and ready for knighthood. He knows how important it is to train Anakin because he is the chosen one. He needs to make them understand that Anakin will become a great Jedi knight,
    He was just too blind to realize how attached Anakin could get.
    He was more occupied with just getting him in training so he could bring balance to the force, the thought of him turning to the darkside most likely never occured to him.

3. mrfootball

mrfootball Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 14, 2005
    Wouldn't you? I mean, obi-wan's an important soul, too, but ultimately who's gonna be more important?

4. Blu-Bladed-Jedi

Blu-Bladed-Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    None knew for a fact Anakin would be the chosen one. If Qui-Gon was wise and listened to the council he would have realized ultimately Anakin was too old to be trained

5. CameroFett18

CameroFett18 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 19, 2004
    Yoda and the council "kinda" knew that Anakin was the chosen one, but they just sensed that there was danger in his training, which there was, but then in ROTJ he destroys the Emperor and brings balance to the force.

6. Atticus

Atticus Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    Then again why would it? Its not like Qui-Gon was planniong on dying. He could have trained Anakin the right way. Qui-Gons death is really one of the things that makes Anakin look for a new father figure in Palpatine. Anakin needed someone to help him out and since Qui-Gon is dead, he found someone else.

Im also thinking that taking Anakin was the right thing, because had the council ignored him, the sith would hav gotten him for 13 years and Anakin would not have had any of the love that he did as a Jedi, his love would have been to the sith and to his master and not to his kids (that would now never exist)

However, I was thinking that Im sure Obi-Wan felt aliitle betrayed since his master was passong him off for a slave boy. But Im also sure that Qui-Gon didnt mean anything by it, he still cared for Obi-Wan, he just picked what he felt was more important.

7. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    Precisely.

8. TheCRZA

TheCRZA Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2005
    I think QGJ spends most of TPM gradually delegating responsibility
    and confidence upon Obi Wan. I think he makes it clear that
    Kenobi is an outstanding Jedi prospect.
    By not addressing Obi Wan's status in death, I think QGJ is saying more about
    his confidence in Kenobi. Else, he wouldn't want him to train Anakin.
    I think he cares for them both the same way, without attachment.
    He sees them from a utilitarian view.

9. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    QGJ did seem to "pass over" Obiwan a bit in favor of Anakin in Ep I, but I don't think it meant he really cared about one more than the other. I think it was just QGJ getting caught up in the moment - ie looking out for Anakin, convincing the council that this kid was "the chosen one", etc. QGJ was a maverick, and was a big proponent of the whole "in the now" side of the force; so when he saw the potential in Anakin when no one else would, he went with his feelings....even if it meant loosing some his focus on the rest of the picture, his current padawan included.

I do think QGJ could have used some more tact when trying to convince the council to let him train Anakin - when Yoda pointed out his current padawan and QGJ gave something of a "oh, him - whatever, he's learned all he needed to from me" response - OUCH - Obiwan looked pretty hurt and I don't blame him. But even still, Obiwan forgave his master - he knew it was just QGJ getting passionate about something he believed in. Like above posters have mentioned - QJG and Obiwan were close - Qui-Gon didn't need to offer Obiwan any assurances of his feelings towards his apprentice - it was clear QGJ cared about Obiwan.

10. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Oy... this has been discussed quite a bit and I stick to my guns on this one.

I think Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan obviously have a close father/son relationship and that, yes, Obi-Wan is an adult and so things are going to be different at this point in time. However, I still think Qui-Gon has a problem throughout TPM of letting his hopes for Anakin blind him to other things, like Obi-Wan legitimate concerns about the boy.

Qui-Gon's telescoping vision also causes him to unconsciously verbally backhand Obi-Wan a couple of times. Even though it's not on purpose, the neglect to watch his tongue and not behave as though he doesn't care about Obi-Wan anymore still strikes me as painful every time I see TPM.

What either makes it worse or better (depending on how you see it) is the fact that Obi-Wan, being the humble, level-headed guy that he is, assumes Qui-Gon has ultimately placed his priorities in the right place. So he forces himself to believe he's wrong and to believe that Anakin is top priority. I think you see the results of this in RotS onward, where Obi-Wan blames himself for Anakin's fall.

Mostly, I think the worst damage Qui-Gon inadvertently caused was to start Obi-Wan and Anakin off on awkward terms. No, he didn't know he was going to die, but still. It isn't great to toss aside your old apprentice in front of the Council and your new apprentice. In return, Obi-Wan makes the comments about Anakin being dangerous... and again this occurs in front of Anakin. So when Obi-Wan is suddenly Anakin's master, it's a big 'oops'. I believe it's one of the causes of their close but often tough relationship.

If you haven't seen Arrested Development, you've made a huge mistake.

11. DanaSolo

DanaSolo Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 26, 2005
    My theory is that Liam Neeson is such an amazin actor-we totally believed that there was a genuine caring between him and Anakin, him and Obi Wan, etc.

Since Hayden Christensen, IMO, is not a good actor, it was hard to feel his characters relationship to anyone else in the last two prequels.

Just my opinion.

12. That_Random_Jedi

That_Random_Jedi Jedi Master star 3

May 14, 2005
    Maybe, deep down inside, so deep he isn't even aware of it, Obi-Wan resents Anakin for stealing QuiGon's attention and leaving him out.

13. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005

Put it this way: Anakin would have never turned to the Dark Side if Qui-Gon were alive.

14. iLoveAnakin7

iLoveAnakin7 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 17, 2005
    Since Hayden Christensen, IMO, is not a good actor, it was hard to feel his characters relationship to anyone else in the last two prequels.

No offense, but what does that have to do with Qui-Gon and Anakin in episode 1?

Also were you asleep during Rots or something?

15. Rossa83

Rossa83 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2005
    Sublime_Skywalker
    Then again why would it? Its not like Qui-Gon was planniong on dying. He could have trained Anakin the right way. Qui-Gons death is really one of the things that makes Anakin look for a new father figure in Palpatine. Anakin needed someone to help him out and since Qui-Gon is dead, he found someone else.

Do you then think it's possible that Palpatine sent Maul to kill Qui-Gon in a desperate attack (which worked out fine), just because he perhaps sensed that with Qui-Gon alive, Anakin would't turn? That would be interesting...
    I think that Qui-Gon cared very much for Obi-Wan, and has great faith in him - he even says that he foresees that Obi will become a great Jedi...

16. SeventhAngelicSlayer

SeventhAngelicSlayer Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 18, 2005
    I don't think Qui-Gon put Obi-Wan aside on purpose. Basically, I think he just got so caught up in the whole thing with Anakin that it just took up all of his attention. Also, his and Obi-Wan's relationship was like that of a father and son, and sometimes the relationships between parents and children get a little strained as the children. I mean, that's only sometimes, there are plenty of parents and children who don't have that, but some do. So their relationship may have been a little strained already, then the Anakin issue came along and the rest is history.

I do just want to say, a lot of people have said on various threads that if Qui-Gon had trained Anakin, he wouldn't have gone to the Dark Side. In my opinion, he would've turned evil no matter who trained him, it was his destiny.

17. lorn_zahl

lorn_zahl Jedi Master star 4

Oct 19, 2002

I'd agree with most of the posters here, Obi Wan is clearly a Jedi by the events of TPM and Qui-Gon notices this. In many ways Obi Wan is more powerful than Qui Gon and again I think Qui Gon notices this.

Coupled with the fact that they've been side-by-side for years and that Qui Gon just happened to come across the chosen one! I think his reaction was measured and honest in comparison to what some might do. He still spent alot of time working and talking with Obi Wan and at times I thought Anakin was being ignored. "Are you cold?" <----- Padme

He was a bit frank to Obi Wan but he was Obi Wan's master. Obi Wan knows this and still respects his master even though they disagree on at least a couple of things.

"If you would just follow the code you would be on the Council..." <--- Obi Wan

"You are a much wiser man than me Obi Wan, I foresee you will become a great Jedi Knight." <---Qui Gon

"I'm sorry master...." <--- Obi Wan

In the end and in life Obi Wan really loved Qui Gon and it's evident by his reaction at his death and resurrection in the force.

18. TheCRZA

TheCRZA Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2005
    I think Obi Wan and Qui Gon's relationship shows what a master/apprentice
    relationship should be, based on utility, not on emotionality.
    It serves as a great counterpoint to Obi Wan and Anakin's relationship.
    Obi Wan tries to have the same dynamic he had with his mentor, but doesn't work
    because Anakin is emotionally high maintenance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.