main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Did Qui Gon sense the Sith?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by openmind, Apr 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. openmind

openmind Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    When Anakin was getting some pallies (sp?) from Jira (the old chubby lady selling eatables), Qui Gon looks up into the air.

Now was he sensing the wind (sands storm picking up), or was it the Sith trying to establish a trace? Remember the scene in question happens after Panaka gets a message from Naboo.

Obi Wan informs the "Queen" and her entourage that Bibble's holograph was a trick. Qui Gon reiterated that its a bait.

What do you think?

2. Sith-Jedi-Master

Sith-Jedi-Master Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2004
    i think that he could sence something in the force, but he might have been unsure about this...i mean the sith have not been around for 1000 years so yeah...

it is a good question thou..

3. DarthDork

DarthDork Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 24, 2002
    If there was a jedi that could sense the sith, even though Sidious is clouding everything, best believe Qui-Gon would be da man to do it.

4. DARTHMORDOR

DARTHMORDOR Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    actually it was obi wan who sensed it just did not know what he sensed.

first scene in the film.

qui gon dismisses it.

5. Azhrei

Azhrei Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 5, 2004
    But only because Obi-Wan was looking at the Unifying Force again, or in non SW-speak, the bigger picture. Qui-Gon always looked to the Living Force, or in non SW-speak, the present moment. Later on, when Qui-Gon was leaving the ship on Tatooine, he told Obi-Wan he felt a disturbance.

"Be wary... I sense a disturbance in the Force."
    "I feel it also, Master."

Order66Survivor likes this.
  6. Virgilius

Virgilius Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 7, 2004
    I never really thought of it that way. It's food for thought.

In the beginning of the film, Obi-Wan senses something "elsewhere...elusive." Take your pick on whether it was Anakin or the Sith.

When Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan arrive on Tatooine, they felt that disturbance in the Force. I think it was probably Anakin, but it may have been the Sith.

Order66Survivor likes this.
  7. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    That, and by that point in time, Qui-Gon was quite twigged to the fact that there was somebody gunning for them, a party that registered off the normal Force-scale that the Jedi were accustomed to encountering by that point in history.

Although he didn't directly recognize Maul as a true Sith until after their first confrontation, he undoubtedly held suspicions, which is why he was so quick to jump to that conclusion when the rest of the High Council nanny-nah-naahhed him at first. Plus there's the fact that Qui-Gon was generally a far more plugged-in and outside-the-box dude than his Jedi compatriots...and thus someone in much more of a position to know of, and thus be interested in, the Sith and their history.

8. Darth_Ben73

Darth_Ben73 Jedi Youngling

Apr 7, 2005
    After seeing Episode II he definately knew about the Sith.
    (He was Dooku's apprentice)

9. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    Qui-Gon didn't know about the Sith. Even Dooku said so. Why? Because he wasn't around long enough to learn the truth as Dooku did.

Qui-Gon Jinn doesn't know anything about the Sith until Darth Maul tries to derail him on Tatooine. Dooku probably didn't know about the Sith until after QGJ died.

10. One-with-the-Force

One-with-the-Force Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 16, 2002
    This goes back to the ongoing discussion of the Living Force and the Unifying Force.

Both Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon, individually, felt the presence of the Sith during the film before meeting Darth Maul. At the beginning of the film, Obi-Wan's mind is on the future and he is trying to understand the ideas that the Force is sending him. Then when they're on Tatooine, Qui-Gon, who is more in tune with the current state of the force, notices Maul's dark presence.

So yes, Qui-Gon probably did sense the Sith, but neither he or Obi-Wan had the knowledge or the time to correctly assess their feelings.

11. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    Obi-wan felt something simlair too.

12. ClonedEmperor

ClonedEmperor Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2005
    Qui Gon sensed Maul briefly when he was leaving Coruscant in Darth Maul (DH comic series)
    "what is it master"
    "I dont know... I sensed... something...Ive never felt anything like it. But now its gone."
    Than he makes the comment that im sure that it will present itself (the disturbance) in time. Kinda ironic huh?

13. Darthgenius77

Darthgenius77 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 8, 2005
    I always got the impression that Qui-Gon couldn't figure out what he sensed. He was right up close to Anakin, so he must have been able to feel the power in the force the young kid had. But he also must have been able to feel Darth Maul (he must have arrived at that time). So he might have been feeling Anakins power, and the disturbance that was brought by Maul. At least that is my guess. As for Obi-Wans sentence in the begining of the Movie. That is forshadowing. For the movie it was forshadowing the return of the sith (not to be confused with the revenge), but on the whole it was just a line showing that Anakin would soon be here, and after that, well you all know the story. It is kind of like his line in AotC. "I think you are going to be the death of me Anakin", we know he is joking at that point, but in the end he was right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.