main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Did R.A. Salvatore put a Lord of the Rings refrence in The New Jedi Order?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Vong_Killer, Oct 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Sorry, double post. My fault.

2. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    Well, Knight, I strongly suggest you read it. It's really a great piece of lit., and most people I know who read it really enjoyed it and have read it more than once.

3. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Well, Hermann Hoth was indeed a high-level German commander...
    War Crimes Tribunal

I want to say he was indeed connected with their campaign of the Eastern Front, especially during the winter months. But, I don't have anything to confirm or deny that.

It would of course be a compelling reason for Hoth's horribly harsh winter environment.

However, I also have not seen anything officially linking the German military commander with the planet or suggesting Lucas used him to name his planet.

Just rather interesting connection, though if it's the case.

Hoth was also the name of a German Panzergroupe as well.

4. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    A lot of names in SW are Biblical or Hebrew. Naboo comes from a word meaning beautiful. In Illinois, there is a city named "Nauvoo" which was derived from the same source. Endor, yes, "the witch of Endor" in the Bible or of course Tolkien. Alderaan I just found out about while reading Chaucer commentary. In the constellations, there are three "royal stars" and the most prominent one is Alderaban. Hoth could have come from the Germans, but I also think it's possible that it was just the right name.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.