main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Did R2 know that Vader was Anakin?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Arawn_Fenn, May 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandWarlord

GrandWarlord Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 21, 2003
    Remember that part in ROTS when Anakin comes back from the jedi temple, to see Padme before he goes to Mustafar. Right after he lands on the platform at Padme's place R2 beeps at C3PO and 3PO say's "Hush not so loud!" to R2?

I always wondered what R2 was saying. I think it was certainly something about Anakin and what happened at the Temple.

2. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    No, he's saying "Hey, Threepio, these are some good cheese fries."

3. JediUruviel

JediUruviel Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 22, 2004
    I agree. He doesn't do anything unless he's requested/ordered to do so, as well.

4. mspadme69

mspadme69 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 19, 2007
    yes, i would like to know also who or what is the keeper of the whills? and is there a book on it or just a theory?:)

5. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    As a droid, I would think Anakins new suit would confuse R2.

6. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    YODA: "Failed to stop the Sith Lord, I have. Still much to learn, there is ..."

QUI-GON: "Patience. You will have time. I did not. When I became one with the Force I made a great discovery. With my training, you will be able to merge with the Force at will. Your physical self will fade away, but you will still retain your consciousness. You will become more powerful than any Sith."

YODA: "Eternal consciousness."

QUI-GON: "The ability to defy oblivion can be achieved, but only for oneself. It was accomplished by a Shaman of the Whills. It is a state acquired through compassion, not greed."

YODA: . . . to become one with the Force, and influence still have . . . A power greater than all, it is."

QUI-GON: "You will learn to let go of everything. No attachment, no thought of self. No physical self."

YODA: "A great Jedi Master, you have become, Qui-Gon Jinn. Your apprentice I gratefully become."

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Whills

7. mspadme69

mspadme69 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 19, 2007
    is this from a eu book or tpm?

8. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    the whills're from the old ANH scripts.

9. MASTER_DOODOO

MASTER_DOODOO Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 2005
    Artoo, see if you can increase the power.

"'If' , Luke? Puh-Lease."

10. Cassie4486

Cassie4486 Jedi Youngling

Nov 20, 2003
    The above poster is right, if you've been reading the Expanded Universe novels, The Dark Nest trilogy books does have Artoo with all the information.

Artoo alone knows Vader is Anakin plus everything else that was mentioned above. He was coded by someone (forgot what it said in the books) to keep this a secret until a specific code or something was said to him. Then Luke & Leia finally see and learn about their parents.

11. Darth_Davi

Darth_Davi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 29, 2005
    R2-D2 is George Lucas's Gary Stu. Everything George knows, R2-D2 knows.

12. anakinandpadmedoomed

anakinandpadmedoomed Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2007
    I agree..GL has said that R2-D2 is his favorite character..so that makes sense that Artoo knows what GL knows..good observation.

13. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Regarding the name "Darth Vader", the same analysis holds for both Obi-Wan and Artoo, if we assume that R2 saw the same holorecordings that Obi-Wan did ( it would have been nice to have seen that in the actual movie ). In other words as soon as Artoo hears of a "Darth Vader", he knows it is Anakin, since he has seen Anakin referred to as Vader in the recordings.

14. jediking12

jediking12 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 16, 2007
    R2 got his memory wiped by Wedge at the end of ROTS remember?

15. anakinandpadmedoomed

Jun 27, 2007
    I think only 3po got his mind wiped at the end of ROTS...Bail said to have the protocol's mind wiped..because 3po talks alot and they didnt worry about r2..and r2 knows the whole saga..the CT has clues that supports this.

16. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    R2 never had his memory wiped so far as we know per the films.

17. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Yeah, R2 didn't get his memory wiped..

18. anakinandpadmedoomed

Jun 27, 2007
    Wedge didnt order that anyways at the end of ROTS ..it was Bail right?(sometimes I get the characters mixed up)

19. Darth_Davi

Darth_Davi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 29, 2005
    Non-EU explanation:even with a memory wipe, its possible to retain info. R2D2 is a droid, a computer. If you reformat your hard drive, essentially giving your PC a memory wipe, that doesn't erase the BIOS, does it? Perhaps R2 has a memory chip embedded on his main circuit board that is unaffected by a standard memory wipe...Perhaps he has a hidden extra hard drive. If I format my C:\ drive, that doesn't touch my D:\ drive. Anakin loves to tinker with robotics, it stands to reason that R2D2 would have had the opportunity to have been heavily modified.

EU explanation: R2 IS heavily modified, and had instructions not to release the information regarding Anakin/Vader/Padme etc until Luke asked, or knew the password or something. Its in the Dark Nest Trilogy I think, but I don't feel like rereading at this point just to clarify something, so I probably have the exact details wrong.

20. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005

Bail: (To young Antillis) I'm entrusting these two droids to your care, and have the protocol droid's memory wiped.

Wedge wasn't even born yet. If he was, he would be like a few days old like Luke/Leia

21. Darth_Laudrup

Darth_Laudrup Jedi Master star 4

Jul 7, 2004
    The little droid knows everything. [face_mischief]

22. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Wasn't it R2 who replayed the video of "Darth Vader's" assault on the Jedi Temple to Luke?
    I know I've read that somewhere.

23. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Yeah, Artoo did in the Dark Nest trilogy. And no, Artoo didn't have his memory wiped. Only Threepio was specified. And Wedge Antilles is not related to Captain Antilles. Wedge is Corellian and Raymus Antilles was from Alderaan.

24. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    So that means R2 knew, right?

25. anakinandpadmedoomed

Jun 27, 2007
    He knew everything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.