main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Did rey use the darkside to beat kylo ren

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Thedarksideisgreater, Jan 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thedarksideisgreater

Thedarksideisgreater Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 24, 2016
    i have the idea that once kylo had finished finn, in his weakened state rey saw finn (dead?) and used force rage on kylo ren?

rumblewagon likes this.
  2. SkooterNB

SkooterNB Jedi Grand Master star 2

Mar 4, 2005
    She certainly had a rage face on towards the end.

3. Thedarksideisgreater

Jan 24, 2016
    and the acting in that movie compared to the others was much better, so im guessing the rage face was done for a reason i.e force rage

4. Darth Dementor

Darth Dementor Jedi Master star 2

Dec 19, 2015
    She certainly tapped into it but wasn't overcome by it. After she slashed Kylo's face and he was beaten she stopped attacking. When he was helpless on the ground she could have easily killed him then but didnt. Granted the ground splitting open might have aided Rey taking the "high ground."

TigerCraneFist and MeBeJedi like this.
  5. Thedarksideisgreater

Jan 24, 2016
    rey was abit to powerful in the movie i think though, to have tapped in to what ever she used that quick, granted ren was hurt but he took on finn who has alot of training and skill with close quarter weapons

6. darthOB1

darthOB1 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 22, 2000
    I don't think she did. The movie clearly shows her closing her eyes being calm and letting the force guide her to victory. Certainly more tapping into the light than the dark.

TaradosGon, Legolas22 and Dameron like this.
  7. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    100% Dark Side at that moment. The same as when Luke beat Vader, realizes how near to Dark Side he is, and then stops.

8. Idril

Idril Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 24, 2016
    Didn't J.J. say they came back to reshoot the scene months after wrap was called in order to focus more on Daisy's face? I don't have the receipts on me, but that's what I remember. Makes sense they wanted to accentuate her tapping into the Dark to remain congruent with the TFA novelization.

Am I the only one who thought the face scarring was a bit unnecessary? Rey already burned Kylo's shoulder and leg, kicked him to the ground, cleaved his saber in two...and then went in for more. That's what came across as "Dark" to me.

9. DarthScubbles

DarthScubbles Jedi Master star 4

Sep 15, 2004
    I thought about that. It's clear she was angry. Anger makes you a raw powerful force user. Although she defeated him when she calmed herself and was a peace. Remember when she was locked with Ren and she closed her eyes.

Its just my speculation, but maybe the Awakening is a being that can wield both light and dark together. Even though its not cannon anymore, I always like the old notion of the Unifying Force. That there is no dark nor light side. Only the force. It is the person who makes the motives light or dark.

10. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    She used force rage...I assume that falls on the darker side of the spectrum.

11. spacebaby45678

spacebaby45678 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 14, 2016
  12. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    It does, and that's the danger of the Dark Side: if she hasn't tapped into it, she might not have won the duel and saved Finn. So there's likely to be some disagreement between her and Luke about her "success".

13. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002
    Novel says she did, FWIW.

14. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2013
    To me her facial expression is not much different than Obi-Wan's in TPM when he fights Maul. Go back and watch from right after he yells "noooo" through the rest of it. There are a few times during that when Obi-Wan looks totally ticked. It doesn't mean he tapped into the dark side. Same thing with Rey. She's aggressively attacking to defeat an opponent that is trying to kill her and her new bff. How do you think her face is going to look?

Avnar, Inanna, Dameron and 1 other person like this.
  15. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Reminds me more of Darth Maul in TPM honestly (especially when he's staggered and she's prowling around him), with a bit of Luke in ROTJ. Do I think that she'll go full-on Dark Side, no. Will she struggle with it, and her own inner anger issues, quite possibly:

-She has plenty of reasons to despise Kylo, and thinks of him as a "monster."
    -If certain painful "details" about her past come out, then that might factor into it as well.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  16. SkooterNB

Mar 4, 2005
    There is an instance when the scene slows down that just feels like she is so incredibly engrossed in ending this guy. Obviously Obi does in fact 'kill' Maul, when he is cornered. I think there is an instant right before the ground splits where Kylo is down, on the ground, face slashed, and it feels like she is ready to just destroy him... and gets knocked out of it. All in my opinion obviously. But I would like the fact that she is conflicted in that way.

17. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    With all of these discussions I think it's important to define what it means to "use the dark side" and what it means to "turn to the dark side." Obviously none of Obi-Wan, Luke, or Rey turned to the dark side, but I don't think it's unreasonable to say that they tapped into it for a moment. So long as the have discipline they can get away with tapping into it every now and again.

18. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    But that's the thing isn't it, she DOESN'T have the traditional Jedi wisdom yet. So if she hasn't been taught how to channel that, and not let it consume her, it could cause issues later on.

Spoon Tanam likes this.
  19. SkooterNB

Mar 4, 2005
    Yoda: Yes, run! Yes, a Jedi's strength flows from the Force. But beware of the dark side. Anger, fear, aggression; the dark side of the Force are they. Easily they flow, quick to join you in a fight. If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi-Wan's apprentice.
    Luke: Vader... Is the dark side stronger?
    Yoda: No, no, no. Quicker, easier, more seductive.
    Luke: But how am I to know the good side from the bad?
    Yoda: You will know... when you are calm, at peace, passive. A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, NEVER for attack.
    Luke: But tell my why I can't...
    Yoda: No, no! There is no "why".

Inanna, Ricardo Funes and Tanjint like this.
  20. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    Luke: Vader... Is the dark side stronger?
    Yoda: No, no, no. Quicker, easier, more seductive.

Which is interesting now, since Kylo takes that idea and flips it on it's head.

21. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    IMHO - she centered herself - focused on the Light - and naturally beat Kylo fair and square just like Yoda's quote should be interpreted. Being Light does not imply you have a smile on your face in a duel.

Dameron likes this.
  22. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    According to the novelization, not necessarily.

23. Darth Dementor

Darth Dementor Jedi Master star 2

Dec 19, 2015
    You said it; Rylo was injured, not to mention holding back. And if the theory of Rey Force Bonding with Ren is true that would've played a factor in her win as well ie; she absorbed some of his skills and experiences into her mind.

24. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    Kylo wasn't trying to kill Rey, but had no such compunctions with Finn. Also, Rey has melee experience as well.

25. Tanjint

Tanjint Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 21, 2015
    The guru characters get to pick and choose. I don't mean that in a bad way, but as a non-Jedi master observing all we get is the gurus assessing whether the apprentice's feelings are serving them well or betraying them.

"Your feelings serve you well."

or

"Your feelings have betrayed you."

Which implies a correlation with someone in this thread saying earlier you can tap into the dark side without succumbing to it. You can "tap in" to the dark side without your feelings betraying you to it....but it's something to be really careful about or they will.

SkooterNB likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.