main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Did rey use the darkside to beat kylo ren

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Thedarksideisgreater, Jan 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thedarksideisgreater

Thedarksideisgreater Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 24, 2016
    she will be powerful for sure but kylo will become more powerful

Tanjint and Ricardo Funes like this.
  2. SkooterNB

SkooterNB Jedi Grand Master star 2

Mar 4, 2005

More powerful than you could possibly imagine.

3. Thedarksideisgreater

Thedarksideisgreater Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 24, 2016
    far greater then his grand pa pa

Tanjint and Ricardo Funes like this.
  4. darthOB1

darthOB1 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 22, 2000
    I've said this in another thread but it also applied equally to this one.

In almost every movie we have seen Jedi get angry and start wailing. Get get angry is "human" so to speak. Every Jedi has been tempted by the dark side. It is how they control it. Or don't let it control them. Anger is a powerful motivation, it gets the adrenaline going and in force users gives them an extra boost of power if you will. Tapping into this is common among Jedi, but it learning to let it go and not control you is what separated the Jedi from the Sith and will probably separate the Jedi from the Ren.

5. RobbyV

RobbyV Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015

Actually I thought she did from the movie since the usual sign is an angry face, which she had in the middle of the fight. I wasn't sure until I read the excerpt in the novelization -- and then I was sure. The excerpt is here (with bold text on what I think are key words):

Granek likes this.
  6. Colm

Colm Jedi Master star 2

May 19, 2005
    This is one of the parts of the movie that I figured was clear.

Kylo has no interest in killing her and has her in a place where she either falls back into the newly-formed ravine or submits to him, whereupon he would bring her to Snoke. Without using the darkside she's done for, there would be no more Rey the hero, she'd be a Knight of Ren recruit.

Although in saying that it was clear, I did have to explain it to my daughter, so maybe it wasn't completely obvious.

BlackIsTheColor and Tanjint like this.
  7. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    Talking to Rey How? How is Snoke communicating directly with her? Can you quote some passage from the novel please?

Tanjint likes this.
  8. Jakku

Jakku Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 29, 2015
    I believe the novel has an unidentified voice talking to her, within her head. It could even be her own mind, urging her to kill Kylo Ren.

However, I understand the audiobook has the voice being very similar to Snoke's, so it's generally assumed that Snoke was in her head.

Tanjint and Granek like this.
  9. episodenone

Jun 13, 2001
    Oops -- okay - so here it is.
    I can see why one would want to interpret this as Snoke -- but I also don't have to agree :vader:

As with a great many things in the GFFA - if it ain't clearly stated - it ain't [necessarily] a fact in canon.

While she obviously should not be able to equate a voice described that way with Snoke whom she [supposedly] has never met - I choose to believe it is not Snoke per se -- it is the "Dark Side Manifestation of the Force" -- Midichlorians if you will. Mean ones albeit.

Tanjint likes this.
  10. episodenone

Jun 13, 2001
    I guess there are just not that many ways to voice slathered in Dark Side - with or without a breath mask! :p

Tanjint likes this.
  11. Vemrin

Vemrin Jedi Padawan star 2

Oct 24, 2015
    In first order jakku dark side uses YOU

12. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Well my current theory on Snoke is that he can project his consciousness/voice over great distances (which might be how he managed to corrupt Ben for so many years, right under his parents and Luke's noses). And as soon as he hears about Rey, he tells Kylo to bring her to him.

So yeah, I can buy him working his way into her mind in that way. It'll be interesting to see if they do anything with that in Episodes VIII and IX?

13. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    I'm bummed that I'm not allowed to post the GIF, but after she kicks him in the chest she has a menacing look on her face and starts to circle him, apparently taunting him with her domination.

14. Granek

Granek Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2012

exactly, I'm not attempting to Start a canon debate but the film novelizations sometimes has more information that the movie goes misses. Like the Episode 3 novel, its so much better and detailed than the Film. I advise everyone to read or listen (Marc Thompson FTW) to it on Audible.

Its clearly Snoke, Marc uses Snoke's voice when she hears kill him. Also the film novels are in fact canon

rumblewagon, MeBeJedi and Tanjint like this.
  15. Little_Boots

Little_Boots Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2015
    Yes she did use the dark side. It says it quite plainly in the book. She looks angry as F! Too so yea she was probably gonna kill Kylo if the ground didn't split apart.
    I think she'll go bad tbh.

Sent from my HUAWEI SCL-L01 using Tapatalk

16. ZombieSnake57

ZombieSnake57 Jedi Youngling

Aug 16, 2015

Exactly this. She may have first struck out of rage much like Luke did when Vader mentioned Leia in ROTJ, but by the end of the fight she calmed herself and let the force in. That's what led to her victory.

17. Kyra_Rey-Kylo_Ren

Kyra_Rey-Kylo_Ren Jedi Padawan star 2

Oct 31, 2015

She was toying with him, i think in that moment she was overwhelmed by the darkside, i've seen the movie 7 times now, every time i see that scene after Kylo is in the ground i get a Darth Maul vibe from Rey, she is walking around him like a tiger measuring it's prey before the final blow.

I think the Force intervened so she would be consumed by the Darkside, i think Luke will address that in her training, she was closer to the Darkside much more than early Anakin and Luke, i think that have to do with her uprising and her feelings of abandonment

18. Kyra_Rey-Kylo_Ren

Oct 31, 2015

That's not the feeling i got in the movie, in the movie i think she was 50/50 still deciding what to do, until the Force decided for her, i think the Force didn't want to lose her to the Darkside

19. Kyra_Rey-Kylo_Ren

Oct 31, 2015
    I disagree, the Jedi code is Canon, and there's no place for angry in a Jedi mind, what makes a Jedi Knight different from a Padawan or a Dark Jedi or a Sith is the ability to focus and get motivated in a peaceful state of mind.

There is no emotion, there is peace.There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.There is no passion, there is serenity.There is no chaos, there is harmony.There is no death, there is the Force

20. Kyra_Rey-Kylo_Ren

Oct 31, 2015

Yes can't wait until we can make a gif comparing that with Maul walking around Quin-Gon Jinn in TPM when is meditating

21. Darth Dementor

Darth Dementor Jedi Master star 2

Dec 19, 2015
    Aw great now your gonna get a bunch of people to theorize Rey is Darth Maul's daughter now. :)

beebee-ate likes this.
  22. ZombieSnake57

ZombieSnake57 Jedi Youngling

Aug 16, 2015

Except that this isn't entirely true. Direct from Wookiepedia:

• Del Rey states that film novelizations, film junior novelizations, and the Star Wars: The Clone Wars film novelization "are canon where they align with what is seen on screen in the 6 films and the Clone Wars animated movie." Wookieepedia Canon articles treat these novelizations as non-canon Legends material.

Anything that contradicts what we saw on screen isn't canon. While we didn't hear a voice in Rey's head in the scene under discussion, we did hear Obi Wan communicate with her earlier in the film. So as far as I'm concerned she doesn't hear Snoke's voice in her head. The film doesn't have the voice, the novel doesn't mention where the voice comes from, so the audio book version using the same voice as Snoke doesn't explicitly state enough for me that Rey hears him in her head.

23. ucdex

ucdex Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 20, 2015

Yes pretty much, that's what the film implies (she was conflicted) because the whole sequence with Snoke speaking to her was removed so all we have to go by is her actions and she stops and looks at Kylo instead of lunging in for the kill right before the ground breaks apart.

24. darthOB1

darthOB1 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 22, 2000
    Then obi wan was no Jedi neither was Luke. One might even argue that Yoda through his war screams when he was battling Dooku might have been from a touch of anger......

25. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015

I thought there was no reshoots 4 TFA?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.