main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Did Rey use the force to close the door on the rathtar?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by pheenix11, Dec 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pheenix11

pheenix11 Jedi Master

May 9, 2002
    Did Rey use the force to close the door on the rathtar that had Finn? It seemed like she was looking at the screens to see where he was and then it looked like she just touched the screen not a button or anything. And then Finn asked her how she did it and she kinda brushed it off.

2. Aayla_Amidala

Aayla_Amidala Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 24, 2009
    I think she was concentrating and timed it. But I think it was supposed to be similar to a young Anakin and the pod racing - he was the only human that could do it, because he was using the force, he just didn't realize it.

3. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    It looked to me like she pulled a lever or pushed a button, albeit randomly and without realizing exactly what she'd done.

4. thoso1973

thoso1973 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 8, 2015
    Rey seems very capable around gadgets and technology. She's probably being assisted by the Force without knowing it herself. Remember how she also can fix and fly the Falcon and identify a problem with the hyperdrive just as Han Solo arrives at the same thought.

5. Tan-Wessel

Tan-Wessel Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
  6. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Finn didn't ask her how she did it, Finn told her that the door closed suddenly and just missed him but cut him free, and then he asked her if she knew how it happened, and Rey deflected and just said...that Finn was lucky. Thus, she never admitted to him that she did it.

CnlSandersdeKFC likes this.
  7. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    No, she was watching it drag Finn on the monitor, and closed the door at the appropriate time.

NoSuchThingAsLuck likes this.
  8. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    The force guided her to the moment that would save Finn, but she still just pressed a button to close the door.

9. CnlSandersdeKFC

CnlSandersdeKFC Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 22, 2015
    No, I think she used to force intentionally to time when to close the door. That's why she deflected. That is another one of the things in this movie that clearly show me Rey has training prior to being dumped on Jakku, I mean that, and the fact that she dreams about the place Luke is.

EviL_eLF likes this.
  10. tokilamockingbrd

tokilamockingbrd Jedi Knight star 4

May 12, 2015
    I think she used the force, but not to close the door, but when to push the button, like How Luke did not control the torpedoes that knocked out the death star but used to the force to control his timing and aiming.

Ruffmeian, Skillzwalker and EviL_eLF like this.
  11. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    She doesn't dream it, she has a Force vision when she touches the lightsaber, then freaks out when she doesn't understand what just happened to her.

Also, there's no mystical powers required to properly time closing a door. I could have done it, and I have terrible hand-eye coordination.

12. Darth Liberatus

Darth Liberatus Jedi Padawan star 1

May 13, 2013
    She pushed a control to close the door. She intended to do exactly what she did.

13. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Rey knows her way around ships without apparently ever being onboard . They thrust piloting and mechanical skills upon her without any explanation, obviously invoke Anakin and that she's Force special. However it seems somehow she knowledge of the Falcon and Unkar's "upgrades" which speaks of her being on the ship quite a bit. A lot of the movie looked edited. The scene in question, is ambiguous, she was watching the cameras to judge, how she knew her way around the controls to which door despite prior making the mistake of pulling the wires to one which instead of closing the doors on the gangs she short circuited the Rathar holding cells which nearly killed everyone. There being no such thing as luck so I suppose the unwitting use of the Force she used.;)

CnlSandersdeKFC likes this.
  14. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    When she made the mistake, she was pulling fuses... there are a LOT more fuses in any electrical system then there are switches... so pulling the wrong fuses, but pressing the right button to close a door is not at all comparable.

Dinos4Ever likes this.
  15. CnlSandersdeKFC

CnlSandersdeKFC Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 22, 2015
    Well yes, the force vision is another piece of evidence, but I'm talking about when during Kylo's torture scene. Kylo says, "I see you struggling to sleep at night. You imagine an ocean. Yes, there it is. I see the island."

hippie1kenobi likes this.
  16. Phasma's Armor Polish

Phasma's Armor Polish Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 29, 2015
    It was a mirror of Luke firing the torpedoes to destroy the death star, they allowed the force to guide their actions. Rey just did it unknowingly.

17. Drop

Drop Jedi Youngling

Aug 10, 2015
    I think she did JUST BECAUSE Snoke says "there has been an awakening" right after their escape.

18. astronaut23

astronaut23 Jedi Master star 2

Jan 9, 2005
    But Luke knew about the Force and was being guided by Obi Wan Kenobi who had become one with the Force. Rey has no knowledge. That makes her seem like a "Mary Sue" to do all the things she did in the film with no knowledge or training by a Jedi Master…lol.

But as far as the door was concerned I thought she just watched the tv monitor and timed it.

19. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    It's clearly a Force trait...the movies pretty much demonstrate that Force Users have some sort of increased intelect in understanding how to operate and fix things. Luke demostrates his skills in flying Skyhoppers, when repairing Threepio's arm, then piloting a x-wing into his first space battle. Anakin is able to fly podracers, repair and rebuild droids, and learned how to fly a starfighter in such a short amount of time. Rey was able to salvage and repair technology that she could either use or sell off, quickly learn how to fly a freighter when she needed to steal one, and was able to figure out computers when she needed to use them.

20. Skillzwalker

Skillzwalker Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2015

This ^^

21. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Didn't Rey say "I got lucky" after she shut the door on that one Rathtar? So it's either just pure luck or like what tokilamockingbrd said, she unknowingly tapped into the Force in order to time when to press that Door Close button after the Rathtar has passed it!

22. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Numerous Rey threads to discuss this. Try the Rey Force Powers thread. Locking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.