main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Did Sauron Really Appear As A Giant Eye?

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by -Courtney-, Apr 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raja_Io

Raja_Io Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2005
    I just love the way the discussions turn into American-European fights [face_love]

The piercing thing is kinda interesting. Well... what do you make of the idea of Lord of the Earrings?

2. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

So . . . how would people feel about expanding the series with post-ROTK sequels? I think it has interesting potential, and the one who does will hit international acclaim overnight.

3. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    I've always wanted to see the Lord of the Rings stories expanded. But realistically I don't see it ever happening. I seriously doubt the Tolkein family would authorize a project like this. And can you imagine the uproar from the purists? It frightens me [face_worried]

And anyway, it would be odd seeing a book world expanded like this, written by someone who wasn't the original author. Sure they've done it with Dune (and that's the only series I can think of), but I don't see it working for LOTR.

4. DarthPhelps

DarthPhelps Jedi Master star 5

Jan 31, 2002
    I have the Silmarillion handy, but my LOTR books are back home.

From Silmarillion I found one reference to the Eye ? and interestingly it occurs prior to the battle referenced in the prologue of the Fellowship movie.

?There now he brooded in the dark, until he had wrought for himself a new shape; and it was terrible, for his fair semblance had departed for ever when he was cast into the abyss at the drowning of Númenor. He took up again the great Ring and clothed himself in power; and the malice of the Eye of Sauron few even of the great among Elves and Men could endure.?

Edit: to answer the initial post, at least in part, I think we are meant to think then that the Eye was a part of the physical manifestation he clothed himself with, but Sauron was in humanoid form according to the description of the battle in front of the Black Gate againt the "Last Alliance".

Now this all occured prior to the Ring being cut from his hand, and Sauron forsaking his body. In the time of the LOTR, he may indeed have only appeared as the Eye (perhaps because his physical form was not fully manifested), but as I said before: I don't have those books handy to reference.

Edit 2: Holy Crap! The Great Eye in space! Hubble spies lord of the stellar rings

5. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

True, Zebra, but sales would go through the roof!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.