main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Did Sideous ever cancel Order 66?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by oceanpacifica, Feb 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oceanpacifica

oceanpacifica Jedi Youngling

May 29, 2005
    Knowing Yoda had survived, did Sideous keep Order 66 in effect?

The reason I ask is: In ANH in Mos Isley, the Stormtroopers interrogate Obi-Wan. Had Order 66 still been in effect, they'd have killed him immediately, before he could even speak and use the mind trick against them.

So then: Did this "generation" of Stormtroopers not recognize Obi-Wan, as an old man? Or did Sideous feel Order 66 no longer needed enforcement?

2. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    They probably didn't recognize him and it was basically a one time order, the Purge itself is what lasted longer.

3. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005

I think by the time that Obi-Wan faced the Storm Troopers on Tatooine, the original Clone Troopers that had knowledge of Order 66 probably died from combat or old age (Unless growth acceleration slows down at a certain point.) The Stormies around by the OT were a mixed bunch of clones of different types and recruits. Generally, they probably all knew to either kill anyone that showed up with a lightsabre or to report it to Lord Vader.

Carnage

4. WEEBACCA

WEEBACCA Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 4, 2004
    They probably had no idea who he was. Stormies aren't usually that bright after all. I doubt if Obi-Wan or Yoda would still be on any "Galactic Empire's most wanted" list after so many years. Palpy and Vader probably thought they were dead anyway.

5. jedibri

jedibri Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2000
    What? You never cancel an order. It's carried out until it's completed.

6. LORDVIGILANCE

LORDVIGILANCE Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 11, 2005
    I'm sure that after nineteen years the same basic principles that Otder 66 introduced were hardwired into every Stormtrooper recruit the Empire had in their arsenal. But I don't think that Sidious meant for the actual Order 66 to be streched over a period of two decades. Order 66 was meant to be a swift, unexpected, and deadly stroke on the Jedi.

The Order was probably long gone but the basic priority order of, "Kill any Jedi on sight because their traitors to the Empire" still existed.

7. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    The order itself most likely was no longer in effect but it was probably hardwired into new troopers to kill any Jedi they saw.

8. Ben R

Ben R Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2000

I agree with the last couple of replies.

9. MASTER_JEDI

MASTER_JEDI Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 22, 2001
    Order 66 was a one time thing. Although Sidious knew Yoda and ObiWan had survived he probably didn't feel they were a threat to him. His reign stood for 23 years. He knew they would stay hidden because there wasn't much left of the Jedi and the Empire was firmly in place. The new recruits storm troopers(i doubt if they were clones) might have been given orders to kill the Jedi also. Order 66 was executed to top precision and Sidious got most of the Jedi out of the way.

Remember what he said about The remaining Jedi will be hunted down and defeated so I doubt if Order 66 was ever canceled so to speak.

10. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    Order 66 was about turning on their Jedi commanders. Since there are no Jedi commanders anymore, its a mute point. But I dont think it was cancelled per se.

11. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    The order was in effect for the duration. Obi-wan was not recognized as these were newer clones and recruits. Ones who had no connection to the Jedi Purge.

12. Storm_Gaxon

Storm_Gaxon Jedi Youngling

Jan 8, 2005
    Obi Wan Kenobi, surely he must be dead by now.

Or something like that, was said by Tarkin in ANH, so at least he assumed that Obi was dead. And if the commander of the death star felt that he was dead, it would be reasonable for the other leaders of the empire's armed forces to assume also.

I don't know how long Yoda's species live, but Yaddle went missing after TPM, so maybe they generally don't live to be 700. (Unlikely, but possible I think.)

I think Order 66 was a short term order, like was said earlier, simply to turn on the jedi commanders. I think Obi Wan said that Vader hunted down and killed the remaining Jedi, which would make sense, as we know that without the element of surprise, troopers aren't really a match for a Jedi, given the ease in which Obi Wan and Yoda dispatched the ones outside the Jedi Temple. Vader would be the ideal choice for taking out any Jedi that escaped Order 66.

13. brook_33

brook_33 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2003
    In Rise of the Dark Lord, Sidious has the troops stop searching for Jedi, but the order remains that if they come across a Jedi they are to kill or capture him/her.

14. Darth_Walters

Darth_Walters Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2006
    Order 66 had been programmed into the clones in the way beginning!

15. LtNOWIS

LtNOWIS Jedi Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    According to Star Wars Insider 83, Order 66 wasn't "programmed" in per se, it was just a lawful order followed like any other lawful order. That probably counts as EU, but it's not like it contradicts the film or anything.

Anyways, I doubt the stormies were really searching for jedi after all that time. Although they probably had a standing order to report them or engage them.

16. i_dont_know

i_dont_know Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2005
    lol
    This thread gave me a humourous vision of the end of ROTJ.

LUKE:
    You've failed your highness. I'm a Jedi, like my father before me...

*Luke is gunned down from behind before the Emperor can respond*

17. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005

As far as humor, i was thinking more along the lines of "We must kill the Jedi nearest in proximity immediately!" 20 years of the Clones frantically running around, looking under rocks, climbing up trees, bursting through peoples' doors, etc. That's why they were such bad shots in the OT, the battles they were in were mere distractions from them still trying to execute order 66.

Carnage

18. SephyCloneNo15

SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 9, 2005
    Vader was certain that Obi-Wan was still alive. He went somewhat insane looking for him so he could exact his revenge according to Purge. Sidious could probably sense that Yoda had escaped.

I think Order 66 went into a more standing order sort of effect after ROTS. After all, Yoda and Obi-Wan (and a few EU only Jedi) were the only ones left. It's not like they were an order of elite warriors a thousand strong who could oppose the Empire at will. They were two old Jedi.

Obi-Wan: These aren't the droids you're looking for.
    Stormtrooper 1: These aren't the droids we're looking for.
    Stormtrooper 2: Hey, he's using a mind trick. He must be a Jedi. Get him!

19. sccrman95

sccrman95 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 16, 2004
    They probably didnt recognize him.

Sccrman95

20. yoshifett

yoshifett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 17, 2004
    If they recognized Kenobi, THAT would have been ridiculous.

And who's this "Sideous"? [face_thinking]

21. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    It's not farfetched that they would have noticed a human wearing Jedi robes and identified him as a Jedi. But they weren't focused on that. Those troops were focused on the droids so Obi-Wan being a Jedi or even looking like one didn't matter.

22. brook_33

brook_33 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2003
    I just realized the book title is Dark Lord: Rise of Darth Vader.

23. yoshifett

yoshifett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 17, 2004
    We rejoyce in your epiphany.

24. Knightstorme

Knightstorme Jedi Master star 3

Feb 23, 2003
    Order 66 is a standing order. If you see someone with a lightsabre kill them ask questions later...

25. anakin_luver

anakin_luver Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2005

Clonetroopers aren't that bright? Is that why they can memorize numerous planets, and their atmospheres, conditions, status and government and keep that in their memory even a year or so after? These are just one of the extraordinary traits these troopers have.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.