main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Did Sidious destroy Mace's posse TOO easily?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by AtaruMaster, Feb 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003

Checkmate.
    The way it comes across makes the venerable Jedi Masters look bad. But this has been said ad nauseum. We should have been able to leave that scene thinking: "Man! Sidious is a total nightmare when on the offensive! He wasted those first three Masters like they didn't even count!"

Instead we are here discussing: "How in the world it could have been done differently." You hit the nail on the head Darth Laudrup, the focus should be on how unltra-bombad Darth Palpatine was, not the other way around.

The ironic thing is, that would be for the third time.;)
    But I have to include the DS-One duel. There already is additional footage that could be used to add more wide angle shots, in the very least. That, is the one duel that does not measure up to the rest of the saga. Lucas can say all he wants about Kenobi versus Vader, ESB throws those quotes out the window.

SPOILER: for new Star Wars Video Game Xbox 360/PS3
    Also, wait till you see what you do in the new Star Wars video game this November. You play as (at least) two different Jedi during the purge and you get to knock Vader around, and he takes some serious damage from the Jedi, and I mean serious... The images of battle damaged Vader and the two Jedi can be found here.

2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    If you're going to post Battle Damage Vader from the new game, let's give them a bigger pic.

3. Yodas_Got_Bed_Head

Yodas_Got_Bed_Head Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 18, 2004
    I agree with you two. The camera seems way too close, way too fast, jumbled and edited in a choppy manner.

4. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Emperor_Billy_Bob Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 9, 2000
    I can't wait for that new game. Its gonna be bad ass.

But yes, I agree that the scene looks kinda awkward.

5. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    It definitely should have, as dominating the Jedi Masters would have been far, far, more impressive had Palpatine come off as incredibly powerful, not them as incredibly incompetant.

6. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Emperor_Billy_Bob Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 9, 2000
    The best way to make Palpatine ultrabombad would have been to not have him lose to Mace at all.

7. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    It would have and it would make it clear he's more powerful than Yoda, whereas currently he comes off as being even.

8. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    But he is a total nightmare. He flew across the room and killed three Jedi Masters without even trying. Then he allowed himself to be beaten by Mace in order to seal Aankin's turn and proceeded to school Yoda. Remember, lightsaber skills are only half of the picture with Sidious. He's been gradually poisoning both Anakin in particular and the Republic in general against the Jedi.

9. Yodas_Got_Bed_Head

Yodas_Got_Bed_Head Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 18, 2004
    Looks like he's been beaten within an inch of his life...once again.

10. Darthsuggs

Darthsuggs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    Yeah I think he beat them too easily. I mean it's not something I worry about too much. To me it was another one of those Boba Sarlacc moments.

11. ticopuma

ticopuma Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 2, 2005
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

I wasn't the least bit impressed by Sidious in that scene. Mainly because, as Starwalker said, to me at least, Sidious didn't come out as ultra powerful, just the Jedi Masters ultra weak.

12. RamRed

RamRed Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2002
    WHAT? Palpatine allowed Mace to defeat him before Anakin appeared? Oh please!

13. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Yes he did. Remember, nobody in the Republic knows that there's a Sith lord, let alone that its the Chancellor. Also, don't forget that Sidious has slowly been sowing mistrust of the Jedi among the Senators and the general public. In addition, bearing this in mind Sidious also recorded the initial conversation between himself and the Jedi and spun it so that it looked the Jedi tried to topple the Republic's legitimate government. From the point of view of the general public, Anakin is the only loyal Jedi and he proved this by killing one of the Jedi "traitors" and saving the Chancellor's life. Sidious is sort of like an anti-Obi-wan. Everything he does has an ulterior motive and he's always got a way out. Just as Obi-wan sacrificed himself on the Death Star to divert Vader's attention and allow the Falcon to escape, so to did Sidious allow himself to be beaten by Mace in order to seal Anakin's turn. Remember he was faced with four of the greatest swordsmen the Order has ever produced and he killed three of them without even trying, in addition to fighting Yoda to a standstill. If he had wanted to kill Mace on his own, he easily could have done so, I think.

14. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Yes. Had Sidious so desired, he could have overwhelmed Mace at any point during their confrontation. I never once felt like Sidious wasn't in control; that being said, Mace did disarm him unexpectedly...

it could be argued that Sidious knew or felt that Anakin was on his way.
    We will never know, unless the flannel-wearing one speaks-out on this subject.

Sidous didn't seem as bombad to me, as the Jedi seemed to be inept.

15. Rossa83

Rossa83 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2005
    But, if you so willingly take Lucas' quotes into account, you surely must recall the "Mace overpowered Sideous" quote, thingy??:D - so, Sideous was not always in control!

16. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    They were supposed to look inept though. They allowed Sidious to divide them. Remember, Mace said that he sensed that the Sith Lord was plotting the bring about the downfall of the Jedi, but the problem was that they had no idea who the Sith Lord was, only that there was one until Anakin told them. If Yoda and Obi-wan had gone with Mace and the Jedi Posse to arrest Sidious, instead of going to Kashyyyk and Utapau, its more than likely that he would have died. Not even Sidious would have been able to fight half a dozen Jedi Masters at the same time.

As for Mace disarming Sidious, as I said Sidious is sort of like an anti-Obi-wan. Everything he does has a purpose and he always has a way out, which in this case was Anakin.

17. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    The scene just isn't right, no matter how many ways we disect it. The only reason the Jedi look so inept is they are looking one way, and Sidious is coming from another angle. They look like buffoons compared to the smarmy one.

18. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998

Worst scene in movie history. Fat, old Sam Jackson along with four ILM Nerds in rubber masks wave prop swords at a feeble camp english actor and/or completely awful CG effect.

Soon followed by Singing in the Rain style "No, No, No" from said englishman.

Oh and then MASSIVE EXPOSITION DUMP by said man - all to faciliate preplanned and stupid plot and illogical characterisation.

Still, it gave me my offsite username, so I can't totally complain.

UKS

19. LordVader66

LordVader66 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    Lucas wanted a lot of close ups for the Mace/Sidious duel, and that included using Ian to immediatly duel at the Masters in the begining. I would have prefered actual cheorgraphy here with digital head replacements. That way, the Masters all engage Sidious at once. I think it's a good idea because it's two fold, The Masters don't die looking like morons and we see Sidious engage 4 Jedi Masters at once. When Palpatine starts going off, Mace hangs in the back at watches everyone go down. Mace was at the forefront of the group in the begining and is the highest ranking and most powerful Jedi. His and Palpatine's sabers should have clashed first and the rest of the Masters should have found a way to compliment Mace. Right now, since Palpatine dominates everyone, is that Mace screwed up and underestimated the Sith. He only brought 3 other Jedi with him. Why not bring enough Jedi where it isn't even an option for Palpatine to fight? It doesn't mean bringing in Anakin, but what about Shaak Ti? Or Cin Drallig? Bring every knight you can find and lock down the Temple. That's what police and other law enforcement agencies do in real life. They simply over whelm the criminal their going to arrest but brining in a ton of man power and weapons. If there's 10 guy holed up in a house with semi automatic weapons, the FBI brings 100 agents with automatic weapons. Mace showing up with 3 other Jedi to arrest Palpatine is laughable.

20. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Agreed. Sidious's plan was a combination of death by attrition and divide and conquer. When Sidious revealed himself Mace should have immediately recalled all the Jedi still offworld, locked down the Temple and taken as large a Jedi strike force as he could get his hands on. He probably should have taken at least 20 or 30 Knights and Masters not just 4 and letting Yoda go off world when they were close to reveiling the Sith Lord was beyond stupid.

21. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003

[face_laugh]
    =D=
    This is why I belong here.

22. Juggernaut86

Juggernaut86 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 7, 2005
    This would of been bad ass but I feel like Anakin and Sidious wouldve ended this battle in less than 2 minutes...Mace hasnt trained with Anakin like Obi Wan plus hes overated

23. DarthDubya05

DarthDubya05 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 2005
    Mace should have just taken JarJar.

24. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

25. Auric

Auric Jedi Youngling

Dec 10, 2006
    That scene was a huge letdown. I was expecting some exciting four-on-one lightsaber action, but the first three Jedi looked like drunken morons. Sidious wasted all sorts of time snarling and getting into his fighting pose, but the so-called Jedi Masters could barely get their lightsabers out. Kit Fisto was the only one who even tried to resist, but he acted as if he'd never seen a lightsaber before in his life. Just a sad sequence.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.