main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Did Sidious destroy Mace's posse TOO easily?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by AtaruMaster, Feb 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SaberJedi2

SaberJedi2 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2007
    I too was letdown. I couldn't believe how quickly they were killed and without any special moves too. I know it was Ian McDiarmid and he is a classically trained actor, not sword-fighter, but come on. ILM could have made that about 20 seconds longer and much more believable. So yes, Sidious definitely destroyed Mace's posse way too easily.

2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    It was not ILM's call, it was Lucas' call. He told the actors, stunt doubles and Nic Gillard how he wanted the scene to go. All ILM did was follow his example.

3. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    It actually looks better if you speed it up just a little, but who has the time to do that? =P~

4. Darth_Laudrup

Darth_Laudrup Jedi Master star 4

Jul 7, 2004
    So after 11 pages we can conclude that the scene was a letdown. ;) :p

5. AL_Patterson

AL_Patterson Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 18, 2007
    Yeah, he cut them down real easily. But luckily, the Order members and Masters he cut down were supporting characters that didn't have more than 5 lines in a movie so no one really cared too much. But I guess it may have also been running time? If Sids were to have a full fledge saber battle with all of them then go on to Mace, it probably would have added another 20 minutes to the run time if Kit Fisto and Co actually fought like Jedi Masters.

6. yoshifett

yoshifett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 17, 2004
    I don't think he killed them easily enough. He should've just shocked the **** out of all of them at once and then used the force to throw his desk at them.

7. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    That would have really been awesome, watching four Jedi get wasted by office furniture.

8. AL_Patterson

Feb 18, 2007
    I just watched that scene. The Jedi Masters' reactions when they were cut down were priceless, and add that with the howls they made. Then on top of that was Sids making those ridiculous faces. This was the funniest scene in the entire movie[face_laugh]

9. E_III_fanatic

E_III_fanatic Jedi Youngling

Apr 28, 2007
    You are completely right I mean Agen Colar, Saesee Tiin and Kit Fisto are all masters and members of the Jedi Council couldn't they have stayed alive in that battle just a little longer they didn't even defend themselfs.

10. Darth_Foo

Darth_Foo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    i like the fact that those 3 only lasted 5 seconds. shows how good sidious is.

also if you slow-mo that part you see sidious is supposed to be moving super-fast which is why Tinn and Kolar die mid swing. it would make a lot more sense if it was bullet-timed but i understand GL not wanting to use that

11. AL_Patterson

Feb 18, 2007
    How good Sids is? But they didn't even defend themselves!

And why would GL not want to see bullet time?

12. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    He just doesn't like it.

13. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Actually, you can see Saesee raise his saber to either block or slash at Palpatine, but then he's cut down before he can even get that far.

14. Darth_Sidious-

Darth_Sidious- Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 14, 2005
    Yes, he was just that good. Slashes those b-rate alien mo-fos down within seconds. And that flip and spin was so incredibly badass. Only part I didn't like was right after the spin because there, Sidious' face looks CG.

15. Rossa83

Rossa83 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2005
    Nope. The discussion still goes on and on - and on[face_coffee]

16. Darth_Foo

Darth_Foo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2003

yes sidious is so good and so fast he can cut down 3 jedi b4 they can swing once. go force speed!

bullet time would be totally out of place is SW (eventho its a great way to show how fast a jedi/sith could move) expecially in the last movie made. also i bet fans would scream "matrix rip-off!"

17. DarthMateous

DarthMateous Jedi Master star 4

Aug 1, 2002

The reason the didn't defend themselves is because Sidious was too fast. The reason GL didn't use "bullet-time" was because he'd already established the style of the movie with the previous 5 films and had to maintain that continuity. (Though I think that would've definitely been cool to see.)

18. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    "Only in your own mind, my very young Apprentice." :p

I'd say the Jedi Masters were the letdown, not the scene itself. Heck the Red-guards put up a better fight against Yoda than they did against the Chancellor.:eek:

19. Gorg

Gorg Jedi Youngling

May 7, 2007
    I agree that they died way too quickly. Mace couldn't be so much more powerful than them that they died in 2 seconds and Mace beat Palpatine (yes, he died in the end, but that was a cheapshot). And anyway, if they were going to die so quickly, why did Mace bring them at all? And don't tell me they didn't know that Mace was that much more powerful than them. They'd been together on the Council a long time; they know each others' power. Also, if they didn't know that Palpatine was that strong, why didn'y the other Masters except for Mace retreat after Palpatine killed the first one? I think it doesn't make sense.

20. Darth_Sidious-

Darth_Sidious- Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 14, 2005
    Kolar, Fisto, and that other lackey were probably just a little rusty. :p

21. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    First, the three Jedi who accompanied Mace were among the elite of the Council. The four of them had worked together on a mission, which is why he trusted the implicitly and why they stayed on Coruscant, rather than go back into the feild. Second, they were going together to report to Palpatine that Grievous was dead. When they left, they were told that the Chancellor may very well have been the other Sith Lord, most likely the Master. The thought was that they could each take him out. Third, as Lucas said and Gillard ranked them, Mace was head and shoulders above the others. On par with Palpatine. Saesee, Agen and Kit were all equal in strength and skill to each other. When he came at them, the Jedi readied themselves, but were caught off guard by his speed. Mace and Kit went for a pincer move, while Palpatine took out Agen and then Saesee, who was trying to bring his saber around. Kit gave his all, but was outclassed and thus he went down.

22. Obi-Chron

Obi-Chron Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2003
    I think it would have been rather cool to see Palpatine spring a trap on the Jedi (outside of one lightsaber up his sleeve, that is) -- have them think they have the upper hand, play all concerned, weak, submissive, and then spring out and let all hades break loose:
    - perhaps two hidden sabers, each skewering the Jedi on either side of him as they move to restrain him.
    - something 'unexpected' to take out another Jedi -- a wickedly fatal trap of some type that causes Mace to become distracted (in order to survive).
    Then have a 'leaping, spinning, growling Palps" ferociously attack a now defensive Mace, pushing the battle toward Windu's woeful window.

But my caveat to all of this fanboy dreaming is that when I first saw the scene in the theater I was completely blown away, totally happy. Basically still am.

23. Gorg

Gorg Jedi Youngling

May 7, 2007
    They could have told Palpatine that Grievous was dead via comlink, and even if they wanted to do it in person, they wouldn't have needed 4 Masters. Also, they only left after Anakin told them.
    And as I said before, if Mace was so much better than the others he shouldn't have brought them at all.

24. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Right.

And its not like bringing them along made any kind of difference.
    Shoulda brought three Jar Jar clones, at least that would've made the Gungan haters a little bit happier.;)

25. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    The Jedi perfered to meet in public about such matters, rather than rely on comlink or holonet. That's why he sent Anakin to inform him of Grievous and see his reaction to the news. Once word reached him, Mace asked the Council members to accompany him. He wanted to deliver the news in person and see Palpatine's reaction for himself. Mace kept the Jedi Posse with him, because there is always strength in numbers. That's how the Jedi operate. They work together as a team. That's why Obi-wan and Qui-gon worked together against Maul and why Obi-wan insisted that Anakin work with him to take out Dooku.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.