main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Did Sidious destroy Mace's posse TOO easily?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by AtaruMaster, Feb 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    Exactly my point.

2. PalpatineAntikristos

PalpatineAntikristos Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 2002
    -HD-YaebGinn wrote, "Have Anakin be in the room like it was originally filmed, but instead of him standing there doing nothing, have him realize what the Jedi have come to, and help Palpatine defeat the Jedi. What this would have done would establish Anakin's power and make his turn more dramatic and definite- not to mention cool looking. (instead of an accidental killing of Mace) and would have made for a crowd pleasing duel. The problem would be havin the crowd believe one second he is ready to turn Palpatine in, yet the next he's helping him kill Jedi. Which would require maybe a few script lines to change things. Something would have to very apparently click in Anakin to make him view the Jedi differently. Like Palpatine appearing to be very cooperative with the Jedi, and then Anakin seeing how they are ready to kill this seemingly harmless person just because he is a Sith."

This would have been a plausibly better scenario. It would have explained, and shown, Palpatine's superior power yet still not have Mace dying like a punk because he would have face two Sith. Anakin's turn may have been more credible in that it was shown as a more conscious choice rather than being forced upon him to save his wife.

3. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001

If it isn't, it should be ;)

4. darthsith19

darthsith19 Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2004
    At least Fisto lasted seconds longer in the ROTS DVD.
    What? Did Fisto last longer on the DVD then he did in the theater viewing?

5. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    I don't recall that. If I remember, in the theater he had some clashes before he went down.

6. purpilian

purpilian Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 27, 2005
    I cant help but laugh at this every time.

http://starwars.wikicities.com/images/6/65/The_Murder_of_Agen_Kolar.jpg

7. jedipadawanjoe14

jedipadawanjoe14 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 7, 2005
    well it didnt show him being hugely powerful....anyone couldve just stabed agen and then slashed seasee...they didnt fight back, it would make him look much more powerful if he battled all 4

I agree with HLAS. I think it was a bit awkward and too fast. I can live with it certainly, but the choreography problems they were having are very evident. It didn't need to be a long and drawn out affair, the book does a better job of explaining it, but a little more fight in those Jedi would have been nice.

actually, the book made me more confused then anything...i didnt understand how seasee and agen were taken out, but i kno it was just as fast

I think the scene was handled exceptionally well. It shows how the Emperor is 500 times faster than anyone else. If the Jedi lasted longer, the Emperor wouldn't look as powerful. Showing the Emperor's power was very important for ROTS.

there you go with the incredidably wrong equatson....he was NOWHERE near 500 times faster than the average jedi....he fought the same speed as any other jedi weve seen

having the jedi stand their like ducks as sidious stabs them doesnt show any power at all....actually, ducks would problly be much harder to kill then seasee and agen...we got jipped

personally...i think anakin shouldve been turned in the hallway as it was orignally going to be done....but then i would add a line of dialouge from sidious to anakin saying that anakin helping to kill the jedi that would be soon arriving would be his hmmmm final test (for lack of better words)...have anakin be in there when the jedi arrive...but the jedi wouldnt kno sidous was a sith, so after siodus ignits his saber, have mace say something that shows he finally realizes he is a sith, then procceed with the swirling/sweetass/growling....but instead of him stabbing agen right aaway, have agen block it...then have 5-6 seconds of them all fightning...then kill of seasee(i love seasee, but from what ive heard, agen is very very powerful with a saber).....then 10 seconds later have sidious kill off seasee(As everyone loves kit fisto the most obviously) then, battle with mace and fisto down the hallway and into the larger office...then right before mace breaks the window...kill of fisto...then mace breaks window, then palpatine starts trying to sucker anakin into the duel, saying that he was his apprentice and that he has the power to save padme(they are still dueling BTW) and such, have mace try and convince anakin to come back to the light...blah blah blah...then finally have anakin and sidious duel together aagainst mace...have sidious cut off maces hand, and athen anakin stab mace, then have sidious force push him out the window....but then of course there is the matter of palpatins face...i am not a fan of the whole lightning delfection thing( personally i dont think the lighting shold be deflectable with a saber).....so between the start of the mace vs sidious duel, and the end of the sidious yoda duel, have palpatines face change gradually

8. -HD-YaebGinn

-HD-YaebGinn Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 31, 2005
    ? How would he change if not for lightning? In the OT you can think he is like that cause of old age, and you could still picture that in RotS if they just left it alone, but it's either lighting or old age, no weird force transfiguration.

That is a fine scenario, but Anakin wouldnt just stand there.

9. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I agree. Sidious is the most powerful Force user in the galaxy at this point. The fact that he kills some of the best swordsmen that the Jedi Order has ever produced while barely moving and fights Yoda to a standstill is a clear and startling indication of how outrageously powerful he is.

10. AtaruMaster

AtaruMaster Jedi Youngling

Jan 14, 2006

I agree with RebelScum and HLAS. We were clearly supposed to see the Emperor's tremendous power, and McDiarmid's inability to swordfight aside, we DID see that. The problem is that even for someone as powerful as the emperor, it's still just implausible that he could destroy 2 masters in 2 seconds, and another 5 seconds later, when all of them are fighting together!!! I don't know why they had such a logistical problem with the choreography.
    Small room, sure, but it didn't have to be THAT stifled!

11. AtaruMaster

AtaruMaster Jedi Youngling

Jan 14, 2006
    I also agree, in theory, but it still should have been an actual FIGHT, wherein Palps shows us his sizzling moves, and how superior he is even to 3 council member masters. NOT where he stabs 2 of them with no resistance, and the other one fights like a Padawan. Not because Sids punked him with some crazy moves, it just looked like basic choreography, and Fisto couldn't even keep up with simple thrusts and parries. That is what the problem is.

12. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    But, that's the point. Mace goes to the Chancellor's office backed up the best swordsmen that the Order has ever produced in its ENTIRE HISTORY and they know it. They're caught looking the other way because they honestly think that they can out duel the Lord of the Sith, not knowing that Sidious has always assumed that he would have to fight these very Jedi Masters and not expecting him to be so fast. Watch the start of the duel again, he's on them before they can prepare themselves for his attack. That's why he takes them out so fast, partially because he has learned how to counter their fighting styles and partially becuase he is simply THAT powerful. Its not bad choreography. He is simply too much for Mace and the Jedi Posse to handle.

13. brook_33

brook_33 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2003
    But Palpatine doesn't move too fast for them to react. They should have been ready when he ignited his saber. You even see them move to the defensive as Palpatine runs at them. But when he gets there, he stops, draws back, and then stabs. By then, he's been 2 feet from their faces for like 5 seconds and they're looking the wrong way.

14. DarthLassic007

Nov 25, 2002
    darthsith19 and that wascally droid, yea, Fisto lasted some split seconds longer on the DVD than he did in the theater. I remember watching the movie in the theater and saying that to myself after I saw the scene on the DVD. edit: no mention of bootlegs. Fisto does last slightly longer on the DVD.

15. brook_33

brook_33 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2003
    i'd edit that bootleg portion from your post if i were you. maybe i'm over reacting to it, but in my experience the mods here don't like it when folks talk about it.

16. DarthLassic007

Nov 25, 2002
    I don't endorse doing it. And my post was not about that action in question. My post was about how I backed up my memory with that fact.

17. Charn

Charn Jedi Master star 8

Dec 23, 2004
    if Palpatine is "OMG liKE SuPER SoNiC FaST OMG!!!!" then why does he pause, and swing his arm back before stabbing? yeah, it didn't look that fast to me, watch it, as Agen is getting stabbed (look at where his lightsabre is, Palpatine was thrusting for your stomach dude, not your face) you have Tiin staring at Palpatines back, what's he thinking "hmmm Maroon is so not your colour darling" or something? and what are Kit and Mace doing at this point? absolutely nothing. Probably thinking "yeah never really liked the dude anyway". If it was Lucas' intention to show Palpatine as a super fast fighter, he failed...miserably.

another point, if Palpatine can move at non human speeds, how the heck did Mace last two minutes with him?

in the words of Cliegg: it was bad choerography son, accept it.

18. Charn

Charn Jedi Master star 8

Dec 23, 2004
    at least Kit did a bit better.

19. darthvaderv

darthvaderv Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2005
    Did Sidious destroy Mace's posse TOO easily?

Yes. It was to the point it was unconvincing. Badly done, It wasn't the moves that Palps did to kill them it was just the time frame.

Mace goes along with four jedi masters to arrest Palpatine. In 7 odd seconds 3 are dead, what are they masters of? dying quickly?:eek: Oh I know it's to show how great Palpatine is and obviously how much better Mace is than the 3 extras that tried to help. Slighty unfair on the fans of these characters isn't it? I know their features are in the EU but thats wrong:_|

20. qui-gon-kim

qui-gon-kim Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2001
    I don't have a problem with Sids taking out the Jedi so quickly, you see it all the time in samurai or martial arts films, to show how powerful someone is. However I have a problem with the execution of the scene. In particular, when Palps runs through Agen Kolar. He stands there a pauses for SEVERAL SECONDS before he thrusts his saber. He telegraphs his move so much, it makes his death look stupid since he should have been able to parry that blow so easily. If Sids struck lightning fast immediately after he jumps over his desk, it would look so mech better.

21. jedipadawanjoe14

Jul 7, 2005
    he did just stand there and watch in the original version of the scene

and his face would change through the extreme use of the darkside...this lightnig deformation causes too much confusion and arguements

22. jedipadawanjoe14

Jul 7, 2005
    no fisto did NOT last any longer in the dvd....for one...i clearly remeber the scene from the theater, it was the exact same thing....and for two, its confirmed they theatrical and dvd versions are exact

23. farrellg

farrellg Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2005
    there you go with the incredidably wrong equatson....he was NOWHERE near 500 times faster than the average jedi....he fought the same speed as any other jedi weve seen

Lucas intended for the Emperor to look 500 times faster than the Jedi. McDiarmid made this clear during his interviews.

24. -HD-YaebGinn

-HD-YaebGinn Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 31, 2005
    Count Dooku's face isnt deformed, neither is Maul's. It is improbable to think that someones features would alter based on how much Force they are using.

They changed it because it isnt probable that he would just stand there. Otherwise they would have left it in.

I agree that he was supposed to look alot faster, but why slow it down for that? If anything speed it up, but because they slowed it down, it looks really cheesy. I mean, Jedi Reflexes, guys. Qui-Gon went on a 30 second little monologue about how fast Jedi can react and such, only to have the order's best and brighest get cut down without even a parry, after an enemy

1. Reveals a lightsaber

2. Ignites the saber

3. Leaps across the room

4. Pulls his saber back

5. Stabs Agen

6. Turns and stabs Saesee.

I mean, they had a good 3-5 seconds of reaction time, which isnt alot of time to do your taxes or something, but it is more than enough time to react to an enemy. I dont mind them getting killed, cause it was neccessary, but I expected a killer duel, not a lame butchering.

25. jedipadawanjoe14

Jul 7, 2005
    if lucas intended for for him to look 500 times faster, he failed miserably, as he is no faster then any other jedi in any other lightsaber duel...mcdiarmid was abviously being sarcasting(not that ive ever heard him say this)...you, i and every single other person on this site all very well kno he was nowhere near 500 times faster then the jedi..not even close

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.