main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Did Tarkin and Yularen know Anakin was Vader?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by sarlaccsaurs-rex, Jan 20, 2015.

1. sarlaccsaurs-rex

sarlaccsaurs-rex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    The title says it all. Do you think these 2 prominent Clone Wars veterans knew their old pal Anakin was Vader? We see them with Vader in ANH before they are vaporized on the DS1. They both seemed somewhat close with Anakin during TCW show, could this have anything to do with the mutual respect Vader and Tarkin have for each other rather than Vader having contempt for Tarkin, and Tarkin fearing Vader.

2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Going by the movies, Tarkin did but Yularen didn't. Vader mentions Obi-Wan having been his master to Tarkin but Yularen doesn't have a speaking role and anyone important enough to know who Vader really is would speak to him often.

3. sarlaccsaurs-rex

Apr 10, 2007
    Its kind of wierd that Yularen never finds out. Considering they used the same ship for years during the clone wars.

4. Darth Zannah

Darth Zannah Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 28, 2014
    I don't think Tarkin knew...he's too arrogant and stupid to know...I always hated Tarkin....worst character in Star Wars ever...worst than Jar jar...

CoolyFett likes this.
  5. sarlaccsaurs-rex

Apr 10, 2007
    Take that back! :p

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  6. Darth Zannah

Darth Zannah Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 28, 2014
    Ha ha ha!

CoolyFett likes this.
  7. sir PING1

sir PING1 Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 20, 2014
    In Tarkin it's revealed that Tarkin strongly suspected that Vader was Anakin based on how Vader acted around him, I assume he had trouble trying to hide to the universe who he once was. Also of relative interest is the fact that Tarkin deduced and suspected that the Emperor was a Sith lord and was behind the entire war, a fact that the Emperor knew Tarkin had correctly deduced. What's of interest is that in the novel Tarkin thought that while he had his suspicion and believed he was right he knew he could never talk about it in the fear of being killed for being correct in his assumptions. Though this does raise the interesting question of when the issue of Vader being Anakin was brought up between Tarkin and Vader. Did Tarkin take the risk and reveal he knew who Vader was? Did Vader eventually trust Tarkin enough and respected him as a servant of the Empire and Emperor to reveal it to him? Or did the Emperor have some part in it to stop the deception or let Tarkin come out to Vader he knew? Hopefully one day we'll get a novel or other piece of content closer to A New Hope that has the revelation as a scene we get to experience.

8. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Wow, that's unduly harsh. :p I think it's good odds he and Wulf did know, yes. :)

9. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The Tarkin novel has him at least suspect Vader is Anakin.

And the statement "You, my friend, are all that's left of their religion" does seem like a strong hint that by ANH his suspicions have become certainty.

10. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014

Of course, he may have been referring to Darth Vader as being the only one Force user left. In the novel, he may suspect Palpatine's a Sith Lord, in ANH, he acts that Vader is the only Force user.

Tarkin is such a complicated fellow, who knows what he really thinks? ;)

11. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    I don't he knew.

12. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Vader does say "my old master" about Obi-Wan, but that could really just mean that Vader was a Jedi who served the Order while Obi-Wan was a Jedi Master. Remember that Obi himself referred to Sifo-Dyas as "my master".

If canon sources say that Tarkin suspected the truth, though, then I'm all aboard with that idea. Especially since it makes perfect sense.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  13. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Tarkin knew, per ANH. As for Yularen, nobody knows.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Andy Wylde like this.
  14. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    In AOTC, he's lying to the Kaminoans, in the hope of finding out exactly what's going on.

15. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    So he does not refer to Mace and Yoda as his masters?
    I respectfully disagree with your deduction.

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  16. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    i don't know enough about Yularen post-clone wars to know.
    As for Tarkin, that's a tough one. He says to Vader, "you my friend are all that's left of their religion". He knows he was a jedi. And as for Obi-Wan being his old master, that would be pretty easy to research. Kenobi only had the one apprentice , right ?
    Are there people that knew Vader was a jedi knight who betrayed the order? other than yoda and kenobi ?

Andy Wylde and Iron_lord like this.
  17. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    He refers to Yoda as "The Jedi Master who instructed me" in TESB - but I can't recall him ever referring to Mace as "my Master"

18. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    He calls him "Master". Obviously, Mace is his Master. Naturally, he would refer to him as his Master.

There's not a single Jedi in the Order who would not refer to Yoda as their Master.
    ...except for Yoda.

JEDI-RISING likes this.
  19. Among the Clouds

Among the Clouds Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2001
    It's pretty clear to me that Tarkin knew. Not sure about Yularen, and I wouldn't mind that being expanded upon someday.

I've always thought that Obi-Wan's referring to Sifo-Dyas as his master was not to be taken literally. He doesn't refer to other Jedi like that, but I don't think we're meant to read too much into it. It seemed like he was just trying to play along with the Kaminoans and appeal to them in order to get more information.

20. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Tarkin knew. Yularen? Hard to say.

21. sarlaccsaurs-rex

Apr 10, 2007
    I know that Yularen was a high ranking member of the ISB during ANH so he was like a Gestapo agent for the Empire serving in the Imperial Navy.

darklordoftech and Iron_lord like this.
  22. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

That and saying, "The last time I felt it was in the presence of my old master." Tarkin knows that Obi-wan Kenobi only had one Padawan and it wasn't Ahsoka.

23. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    I think ANH made it obvious Tarkin knew. Vader confided in him about him sensing his old Master, speaks of him later as a great day that he died, etc.

And for the record, I think Tarkin was a great character.

24. Tarkin's Fuzzy Slippers

Tarkin's Fuzzy Slippers Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 18, 2014
    Tarkin knew for sure, He's a smart cookie.

25. Among the Clouds

Among the Clouds Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2001
    Smart, cunning, and a brilliant military mastermind and strategist. But as is the recurring theme in Star Wars, power corrupts and leads to arrogance and a sense of invincibility that ultimately becomes the undoing. (Not that Tarkin wasn't already a bit arrogant in TCW, because he was.)