main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Did Tarkin and Yularen know Anakin was Vader?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by sarlaccsaurs-rex, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Well said on the first sentence. =D=

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  2. NightWatcher91

NightWatcher91 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 7, 2014
    The man was one of the top brilliant mind in the Empire. He easily knew who Anakin was, and either assumed him dead or did know in fact Anakin was now Vader. It would make sense due to his line about Vader being the last of that religion.

3. Andy Wylde

Andy Wylde Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2014
    Well if I am not mistaken, Yularen was colonel of the ISB, he may have known that he was Vader. Maybe a slight chance, but very slight if at all. As far as what is presented with what is shown in episode 4, I would suspect that Tarkin should at least know or have known this. Now take TCW into this and I am sure that Tarkin knew that Anakin and Obi Wan were master/student. But all in all it is a very vague subject to go on films alone. I would assume the book goes into more detail, but I have not read them so I can not go into detail myself on that.

4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    EU is kind of inconsistent on Tarkin's intelligence - some portrays him as very smart, some as actually rather stupid. Tarkin's intelligence is difficult to deduce from movies alone.

Lady_Misty and Andy Wylde like this.
  5. Andy Wylde

Andy Wylde Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2014
    From the little info I have of him, I would definitely put him on the more intelligent side. I mean if he is right up there with Sidious he must have been impressive enough to gain that much respect from him. And Vader's respect too. But arrogance was definitely his downfall.

darklordoftech and Iron_lord like this.
  6. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    It was the ANH-era magazine Star Wars Poster Monthly that described him as stupid:

STAR WARS: OFFICIAL POSTER MONTHLY #5
    Published February 1978 by Galaxy Publications. Text writers Michael Marten, Jon Trux, John May.

http://www.theforce.net/image_popup/image_popup_global.asp?Image=timetales/misc/arcana/post5-03.jpg

though they may be mistaking other traits, like overconfidence, for stupidity.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  7. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Add me to the folks who always thought Tarkin knew Vader was Anakin. I will definitely be reading that Tarkin novel when it comes out in paperback.

8. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

When the film was originally made, Vader was separate from Anakin and Vader states that Obi-wan was his old Master and Tarkin knows who Obi-wan was. The only thing that changed was making Anakin and Vader the same person. Since Lucas didn't have Tarkin in a significant role in the PT, TCW was next in line for this. Hence introducing Tarkin in "The Citadel" in season three.

darklordoftech and Andy Wylde like this.
  9. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Star Wars Poster Monthly also said that Stormtroopers are clones.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  10. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    And, between AOTC and Rebels, that was the default - that some stormtroopers are clones.

11. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I think Tarkin knew. But he and Vader had a mutual understanding that they wouldn't talk about that.

12. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    Vader didn't out right say that Obi-Wan was his old Master 'a tremor in the Force, the last time I felt it was in the presence of my old Master'. But Tarkin would have to be intelligent to have gotten as high as he did.

Yularen might have known or highly suspected depending on his position and how much he interacted with Vader If they worked closely during the Clone Wars one just can't pretend to NOT know someone that they worked with. There would be slip ups every so often.

The spoiler tag is for Star Wars: Tarkin

As for Tarkin
    Tarkin was suspicious of Vader's true identity because of how Vader acted around him and he did ask the Emperor only to get 'that's for Vader to share if he desires to' and through their mission the flames of suspicion were fanned and at one point Tarkin did say something to Vader that Anakin had said to him and tried to gauge his reaction.

13. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    When you slam Tarkin I always feel a bit of joy in my heart.

Didnt Tarkin say a line that Vader was all that was left of the Jedi religion? He has to know Vader is Anakin.

Iron_lord and Darth Zannah like this.
  14. sarlaccsaurs-rex

sarlaccsaurs-rex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    Tarkin is a great character. I love that calculating non-force sensitive leaders exist alongside the sith.

Iron_lord and Cushing's Admirer like this.
  15. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I agree partially with you Rex. I love Sir's Tarkin appears to be a mundane and he's still highly intelligent. :) Calculating, cold, ruthless as many say that I disagree on.

16. Tomifonication

Tomifonication Jedi Knight

Apr 20, 2014
    It's a pretty easy question to answer, based upon the official information. Most likely Obi-Wan (eventually), Yoda and Palpatine.

I'd have thought Tarkin would know, but as some have said, they simply don't talk about it. I can't imagine Palpatine being too pleased about Tarkin's enquiring of Vader's past.

Iron_lord likes this.
  17. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014

For a while some stormtroopers were clones in the new Canon to so not that far off.

18. Darth Boycs

Darth Boycs Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 25, 2018
    I'm new to this forum and am having much enjoyment reading the older threads. At the end of Sith there is a scene, just after Vader has been cloaked and his 'Nnnnoooooooo', where you see him, Palpatine and a third person - clearly cast because he bore a stunning resemblance to a young Peter Cushing - overseeing the early stages of construction of the Death Star. To my mind this puts him at #3 in the Imperial pecking order.

Of course he knew.

19. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Of course Tarkin knows.

He fought side by side with Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi in the Clone Wars. He knows Anakin Skywalker was Obi-Wan Kenobi's only Padawan. So when Vader says

"The last time I felt it was in the presence of my old master."

Tarkin has to know that it's Anakin Skywalker inside that black armor. Because nobody else can call Obi-Wan Kenobi their old master.

Yularen on the other hand likely knows nothing. There's no evidence that he knew anything about the Sith and their role in creating the Empire. Whereas Tarkin not only knows that the Emperor's right-hand man was once a Jedi Knight, he knows that the Emperor is a Sith Lord as well. The Master to the Apprentice that is Darth Vader. Tarkin was high enough in the Imperial ranks to be entrusted with many secrets by Palpatine. Yularen was not.

Last edited: May 6, 2018
  20. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Aren't the ISB an espionage-centric security organisation, with junior officers being called "Agents" - their job being to keep the secrets of the Empire, and ferret out the secrets of the Empire's enemies?

A point was made in the newcanon novel Tarkin of how Tarkin doesn't know Anakin is Vader but strongly suspects it - Vader and the Emperor hadn't told him outright at that point - but there was enough evidence that Tarkin didn't need to be told, to start figuring it out.

Maybe Yularen was the same - smart enough to start figuring, from the information at his disposal?

21. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    True, but I think Tarkin knew by the time of A New Hope.