main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Did Tartokovsky succeed where Lucas failed?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Yuuzhanvong1000, Apr 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yuuzhanvong1000

Yuuzhanvong1000 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 10, 2002
    Is it just me or did the overall feel of Clone Wars capture the "50's Serial" feel far better than the Prequels and even the OT. Just something about the opening and the cliffhangers just felt more like one of the old serials. Just an observation to put out there.

2. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    I feel they've both succeeded tremendously. But Tartokovsky is the only person that I trust with SW besides Lucas.

3. Ozzel

Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff star 5 VIP

May 14, 2001
    I don't think Lucas has really failed at anything, but I think that Clone Wars has definately fleshed out what Ben said in A New Hope: about Obi-Wan fighting in the Clone Wars, about Anakin being the "best star-pilot in the galaxy", and Anakin being "seduced by the dark side of the Force." There are examples of these in the films (and I'm sure there will be even more in Episode III). There's also some of this in the books and comics, but the average viewer will likely never read them. If someone just sees the cartoon in addition to the films, I think they'll have a better feel for the story because of it.

4. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
  5. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    I feel they've both succeeded tremendously. But Tartokovsky is the only person that I trust with SW besides Lucas.

I agree totally with appleseed here.

Genndy had a smaller story to tell, but he did it better than I could have ever expected. As a 27-year long fan of the series, Genndy has earned my 100 percent trust with Star Wars, and I think that's the biggest compliment I could give him.

And Genndy is playing in Lucas' sandbox, let's not lose sight of that.

6. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Agreed. Genndy & Co. went beyond expectations for me, but the entire thing was set up by Lucas.

I think (a) the CW shorts were over-the-top, pure action, 5-minute shorts with no real point (with the expections of maybe the Anakin arc); (b) the PT is difficult in some ways because things aren't as clear cut.

With the CW shorts, it's straight-up, good vs. evil, with as much action as possible. But they don't have any points to make really, no character development, although the script was far better than I thought it would be.

It would be interesting to see what they would do with 1/2-hour segments - it might not work as well.

It's also kind of like the ultimate fan tribute, where the films, it's all about Lucas' vision and the themes he wants to bring across.

Apples and oranges - but both are phenomenal, IMHO. :D

7. Darth_Meul

Darth_Meul Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 4, 2004
    GARTH_MAUL sums it up pretty good. Lucas didn't fail, so no succeeding on failure was required.

8. k-man

k-man Jedi Youngling star 3

May 14, 2002
    I can't comment about succeeding for failing as far a "50's Serials" go.

What I can say however, is that I was infinitely more gratified by a single 5 minute episode of Clone Wars, than I was by any moment in either TPM or AOTC.

9. BobaFrank

BobaFrank Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 17, 2001
    I liked the animated show better than AOTC.

10. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002

I agree. I always thought this series would be good but am surprised at how much it exceeded my expextations.

I don't think Lucas has failed. The PT covers so much material that there could have been a 4th movie. I think the cartoon has more of an OT, 50s serial feel because both are essentially action-oriented war stories.

11. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    Wait, where did Lucas "fail"?

12. Yuuzhanvong1000

Apr 10, 2002
    I never said he failed at everything. If he did we wouldn't be here right now. I'm just saying the old fashioned TV/Movie serial feel he has been trying to capture all these years (especially in the prequels) has been perfected in clone wars.

13. Darth_Meul

Darth_Meul Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 4, 2004
    The CW cartoons are definitely more serial :).

14. Sith_Dreamer

Sith_Dreamer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2004
    I'm with Appleseed. Tartakovsky did great. I still think Lucas did great on the first two movies, but hey, Tartakovsky didn't put Jar Jar in, lol. Anyway, I think they are equally good. I loved clone Wars, though.

15. Lukes_Lightsaber

Lukes_Lightsaber Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    He only succeded because GL pretty much told him what to do.

16. hansoloschinscar

hansoloschinscar Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 6, 2001
    Geez! It seems that Lucas haters will resort to anything to bash the man who they feel raped their childhood. Look, did Tartokovsky create Star Wars? No! He like, Brian Daley, Steve Perry, Alan Dean Foster, and so many writers and artists from the various SW properties only contributed to the rich universe that GL created. Sorry, Lucas haters, when it comes down to it, it all comes back to The Flanneled One. Wether you like it or not, Episode III will come right on schedule with him in charge. And whether you will admit it or not, you'll be there to see it along with me.

17. Yuuzhanvong1000

Apr 10, 2002
    I'm not attacking Lucas, I said earlier if he had truly failed we wouldn't be here RIGHT NOW on this board. I'm just saying that Tartakovsky beat George in the serial-race.

18. vacantlook

vacantlook Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 28, 2004
    I'm just saying that Tartakovsky beat George in the serial-race.

I think there's just a significant difference between telling a story in a series of 2+ hour films and telling a story in a series of cartoon blips barely much longer than a movie's trailer.

19. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999

I think there's just a significant difference between telling a story in a series of 2+ hour films and telling a story in a series of cartoon blips barely much longer than a movie's trailer.

I think that you're correct. The serials were always live action to start, but they had more in them that was atributed to the serials. The cartoons are more of a take off on that.

20. Hananiah

Hananiah Jedi Master star 4

Jan 15, 2003
    I liked the clone wars I felt that they did their job of telling the wars really well I can't say Lucas failed but I think Gendy did a great job my only gripe is that they should have been longer. It's okay when they show them en mass at the weekend but for me to get a grasp on them I need to see them all together. I think that the clone wars is an added credit to the saga as a whole adding to Lucas's creation just like all the authors

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.