main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Did the Clone Wars series end up "fixing" Anakin's character?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by masterskywalker, Mar 17, 2015.

1. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    Pretty good range of views here, I would definitely be in the category that I'm glad the Clone Wars series exists as OFFICIAL additions to Anakin's backstory. It makes a plane crash into more of a plane incident, for me at any rate.

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  2. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    TCW series did make Anakin's plight more believable but to me it still stinks that the show was cancelled. Contrary to some of the posters here, this series needed to finish. 5 seasons did not complete the entire spectrum, as Filoni said, they still had two seasons that are canon that had not been released so until they release all of that, I'm not sold on TCW as being anything more. Rebels is much better in that respect. We had a novel that is canon, 16 episodes of the first season, and soon a comic series. TCW never had this type of true coherence.

darskpine10 likes this.
  3. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I'm just going to say when I look at the "old friend" Obi-Wan talked to Luke about in ANH I don't picture the Anakin from the prequels...at all.

Cushing's Admirer and Dawud786 like this.
  4. jedi_samuel

jedi_samuel Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 25, 2014
    +1.

I thought Anakin was by far the worst thing about the prequels. TCW Anakin wasn't perfect, but much more believable for the most part.

5. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

Absolutely. I hear TCW Anakin's voice when I think of Anakin nowadays. TCW Anakin wasn't the star or a show stealer, but he was much better in that series than in the prequels. I appreciate his relationship with Ahsoka, and I feel that their similarities and differences are the backbone of the series.

Iron_lord likes this.
  6. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    If I were to think of Anakin I think of HC and I am fine with that.

Saga Explorer and spicer like this.
  7. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    HC is a good actor. Nothin' wrong with that. I just don't like how Lucas handled his dialogue. That's my view.

Yeah. Well, I've seen Hayden in a couple of other things. Nobody should have bashed him as an actor. He did a fine job with the material he was given.

wobbits and masterskywalker like this.
  8. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    "I am in a-go-neee." - I really like the story of AoTC. Much of the dialogue is really difficult to take seriously. No amount of acting could salvage it.

Storywise, it helps* when I add my perspective of Anakin and Padme being somewhat emotionally stunted adolescents when it comes to social and familial circumstances. In their 'professions', they are top of their game. But socially? They're both substantially messed up, on different levels, and for different reasons.

The films highlight Anakin's weaknesses and faults. TCW highlights Anakin's prowess, along with mingling and nuancing his faults.

* Just barely

SateleNovelist11 and Iron_lord like this.
  9. jedi_samuel

jedi_samuel Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 25, 2014
    I don't even think HC is a good actor. Definitely can't imagine a jedi knight, much less "the chosen one" whining like such a little baby.

10. Saga Explorer

Saga Explorer Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 14, 2015
    Hayden Christensen is an amazing actor for Anakin , because what people don't get is that he's supposed to be like that .
    Why is he saying the things he says to Padmé ?
    Because it's his character .He began as an outsider/slave on Tatooine and had to fit in as an older Padawan and later Jedi Knight in the Jedi Order .First he wanted to help everyone he could as a child and then he changed because he thought of himself as someone special and wanted to become stronger and wiser .
    He left his mother and couldn't rescue her from her fate on Tatooine .
    After that he lost his arm because he tried to avenge many Jedi and Obi-Wan who was lying nearby on the ground .
    When he spoke to Padmé he couldn't find better words because he was shy in a way.
    After the wedding with her Anakin got more confidence and was happier.
    Matt Later did also a great job at portraying him in his time to shine .
    When he was remembered of the past (Zygerria/Slaves) or was near the dark side Ahsoka held him back and helped him.
    But all of a sudden she left the order and Anakin began to really question the Jedi Order.
    When he feared the loss of Padmé he became more seduced by his seemingly only person who understood him ,Palpatine and he was driven by the fear of losing her (and her children).Obi Wan was there for him as was Yoda but they didn't do really anything in regard of many things and Anakin started to not trust even Yoda .
    When Anakin became Darth Vader he tried to justify himself somehow during Order 66 and on Mustafar but it was (he thought) too late .
    During the Dark Times before Luke Vader was nearly not redeemable and tried to get more power and be above anyone else besides the people he respected .He was cold.

Luke redeemed Anakin who finally destroyed the Sith :Darth Vader and Darth Sidious .

One of the most relatable characters IMO in the saga .
    The true Chosen One .
    (I could write more and explain deeper but now I have to quit:p)

Darth Zannah and mes520 like this.
  11. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    He was good in the movie Jumper, which pretty much resolved the issue of him either being a bad actor or was in a bad movie or poorly written movie which the PT films unfortunately were. Plus the micro-series was more accurate in the portrayal of the Anakin we saw in AOTC and ROTS than on Filoni's show. TCW's version was as much to fix the character as it was to flush him out.

mes520 likes this.
  12. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    What was the last thing he was in anyway.

13. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012

Outcast with Nicholas Cage and he's currently filming 90 Minutes in Heaven.

14. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005

He's great in Shattered Glass, where he plays a conniving weasel.

Revanfan1 and Ulicus like this.
  15. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    "Are you mad at me?"

I'm taking journalism in college, and my teacher had us watch this, and he told us from now on that when our advisor approaches us to ask us about the paper, we should say "Are you mad at me?" like Hayden did. :p

16. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    I associate Anakin with Matt Lanter now instead of Hayden.

17. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I don't really associate him with either or with Vader because it reads so incongruous to me. I still prefer OOT Vader. I am glad those that like these others iterations do I simply can't get them to correlate personally.

18. march162015

march162015 Jedi Youngling

Mar 16, 2015

That's AOTC Anakin

Darth Zannah likes this.
  19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Sebastian Shaw.

But I like Matt Lanter.

TrandoJedi likes this.
  20. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011

I honestly thought you meant the X-Men character at first lol. Either works.

21. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    Still holding out on Bryan Cranston as Anakin's spirit in the Rian Johnson flick

22. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014

Watched Outcast last night, it was pretty good. He should definitely do an Anakin Skywalker movie.