main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Did the duel on Mustafar look too fake?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by OBI WAN37, Jul 2, 2014.

1. MrCody

MrCody Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 4, 2013
    Its fake to the OT fans since its apart of the PT

Darthmaul208 and CoolyFett like this.
  2. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    LOL. This, I think, could lead to an excellent parody of some kind.

Imagine Obi-Wan and Anakin trying to duel on a stable surface and stopping their duel and fretting every time they sense the tiniest perturbation.

"I'm sure this thing just moved."
    "Don't say that -- must just be the wind."
    "No, no, it moved."
    "Honestly, stop! I hate lava. I don't even have medical insurance."
    "Well, I'm not keen. Cinders are bad enough. Took weeks to grow this beard."
    "Yeah, and I don't know how I'm going to explain scuffed shoes to Padme. These are brand new."
    "Shall we pack up and go home?"
    "The music is telling us to fight."
    "Change the station! Must you always tune in to John Williams marathons?"
    "I would do, but I'm afraid that if I move, this whole structure is going to come tumbling down."
    "Alright, one of us give the radio a Force push. Gently, mind..."

Revanfan1 and Iron_lord like this.
  3. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    It was over the top in some spots, but you have to blame the fans for that. I blame fans and the internet for wanting too much in movie. The never satisfied culture. GL had to make fight all epic and stuff, they should have just fought on the lava shore, with Anakin losing and getting burned. Ill will say the Mustafar fight made the Deathstar fight cooler and more fun to watch.

4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I still think there should have been some kind of pit for Anakin to land in - based on previous info about the duel:

RoTJ novel:

"There is still good in him." he declared.
    Ben shook his head remorsefully. "I also thought he could be turned back to the good side. It couldn't be done. He is more machine, now, than man - twisted, and evil."
    Luke sensed the underlying meaning in Kenobi's statement. He heard the words as a command. He shook his head back at the vision. "I can't kill my own father."
    "You should not think of that machine as your father." It was the teacher speaking again. "When I saw what had become of him, I tried to dissuade him, to draw him back from the dark side. We fought ... your father fell into a molten pit. When your father clawed his way out of that fiery pool, the change had been burned into him forever - he was Darth Vader, without a trace of Anakin Skywalker. Irredeemably dark. Scarred. Kept alive only by machinery and his own black will ..."

It was a face that had not seen itself in twenty years.
    Vader saw his son crying, and knew it must have been at the horror of the face the boy beheld.
    It intensified, momentarily, Vader's own sense of anguish - to his crimes, now, he added guilt at the imagined repugnance of his appearance. But then this brought him to mind of the way he used to look - striking, and grand, with a wry tilt to his brow that hinted of invincibility and took in all of life with a wink. Yes, that was how he'd looked once.
    And this memory brought a wave of other memories with it. Memories of brotherhood, and home. His dear wife. The freedom of deep space. Obi-Wan.
    Obi-Wan, his friend ... and how that friendship had turned. Turned, he knew not how - but got injected, nonetheless, with some uncaring virulence that festered, until ... hold. These were memories he wanted none of, not now. Memories of molten lava, crawling up his back ... no.
    This boy had pulled him from that pit - here, now, with this act. This boy was good.
    The boy was good, and the boy had come from him - so there must have been good in him, too. He smiled up again at his son, and for the first time, loved him. And for the first time in many long years, loved himself again, as well.

STAR WARS: OFFICIAL POSTER MONTHLY #2
    Published November 1977 by Galaxy Publications. Text writers Jon Trux, John May, Michael Marten.
    http://www.theforce.net/image_popup/image_popup_global.asp?Image=timetales/misc/arcana/post2-02.jpg

As on earth where we have White and Black Magic, so the Force has its dark side and Vader, for reasons that are unclear, became consumed by it. It led him to that fateful day when, in a fierce battle, he killed Luke Skywalker's father.

What is less well known is that Vader himself was then almost killed by Ben Kenobi, who was understandably enraged at his disciple's fall from grace. Vader's life might have ended then and there with a quick stab of a light saber; instead, during the fight, Vader stumbled backwards and fell into a volcanic pit where he was nearly fried alive. What remained was dragged out and preserved by encasing it in an outsized black metal suit - virtually a walking iron lung.

5. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

I think it was less the fans and more that Lucas was not going to make anymore SW films and so he choose to make it a big affair, since it would be the last one made, but not the last chapter of the story.

MOC Yak Face likes this.
  6. Prospecting on Subtyrrell

Prospecting on Subtyrrell Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 18, 2014
    It didn't look fake, but it was edited horribly and lacked a lot of dialogue. And the dialogue we get is pretty cringe worthy, like "from my point of view the Jedi are evil". My favorite parts of that duel is the beginning at the platform, and right before the end where we finally see Darth Vaders power when he forces Obi Wan off the raft (sadly only to do so something incredibly stupid afterwards).

For me this duel is without a doubt the biggest misstep of the entire saga. For the first time since Obi vs Maul (and that little sequence was fantastic) you get two young Jedi's, two friends, duking it out. And what do we get? No taunting dialogue, no banter, no clear showcase of skill. Just two guys hitting each others sabers until it's over.

7. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    There wouldn't be need for taunting dialogue since Vader hates Obi-wan and the latter has given up on trying to reach him. As to skill, we did see their skills. They fought hard and long, but it was also personal and so it was brutal. Vader's taunts in ANH make sense there since he's come a long way from Mustafar and is in better control of himself.

8. Aaronaman

Aaronaman Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 12, 2013
    This duel....in my opinion....is the best one out of the entire saga.

It's a fast paced, exciting duel between, not only two powerful Jedi but also, two men who were as close as brothers....one trying to complete his turn to the Darkside and the other trying to release his friend from Palpatines evil grip. I was totally drawn into the drama of this duel from the very first time I saw it and feel the action builds excellently towards the moment Anakin is disfigured.

Nothing in this duel seems out of place to me or over the top because I'd played out the duel between Obi Wan and Anakin in my mind a million times as a kid and the one GL put on screen fullfilled all of my 'fanboy' expetitations.

Episode VII will have a hard job topping this duel but fingers crossed they can.

9. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    doesn't look fake