main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Did the empire have any social programs?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by alpha_particles1981, Mar 27, 2017.

1. alpha_particles1981

alpha_particles1981 Jedi Youngling

Jan 9, 2017
    When we think of the Galactic Empire we think of evil, but just how evil was it? Can it be credited with bringing about some social reform like the real world British, French, Roman and Macedonian empires? I wonder if Palpatine or Tarkin or Vader or galactic senators ever complained that the time and spending of the galactic conflicts choked off domestic legislation plans, such as healthcare reform, initiatives to end poverty and hunger, and extra-galactic exploration.
    If I was galactic emperor or Grand Moff, i'd employ the galactic homeless to build my spaceships and space stations. The success of the aforementioned initiatives, I think, would greatly reduce the chances of my overthrow.

JABoomer likes this.
  2. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Aside from the double post, this topic is a bit unique. I remind people to keep discussions of RL politics out of this thread. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  3. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    I don't see Palpatine caring too much about "social justice".

4. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012

But you have to at least give face service of providing some services to the planets or face the possibility galaxy wide revolt. It is easier to take over than to maintain that control over an extended period.

5. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    Oh yeah, I'm sure he implemented front programs to at least put forward the image of compassion and caring for the poor in the galaxy, but I'd say that over time he just settled for scare tactics and extreme policing to control the citizens. Which obviously did result in a galaxy wide rebellion.

Bazinga'd likes this.
  6. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    I believe that in Cataylst, which I just finished reading, a few programs regarding the creation of new jobs and economy reform are briefly mentioned. I don't think that healthcare would really be a problem in the SW universe.

7. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I don't think they had a lot of time. They still had a Senate to deal with for 2 decades. They only gave control to regional governors for 4 years.

Bazinga'd likes this.
  8. JABoomer

JABoomer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2009
    We know Palpatine instituted one of the biggest jobs programs in galactic history: the build-up of the Imperial Military and what must have an explosion of the government/civilian defense industry!

9. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I always thought that for the most part, such needs/topics as those were mainly handled on a planetary level-with the governors handling any major issues that arose that expanded beyond the planet's ability to conform to Imperial guidelines or other problems unable to be solved without interplanetary help, like the import of certain medical/food/evironmental supplies etc.

10. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I can't see Vader or Tarkin caring about non-military issues. I'd bet Mas Amedda, Sate Pestage, the Peculiar Hat Crew, the Imperial Senate, etc. handled these things.

Snafu55 and Iron_lord like this.
  11. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013

According to the deleted Biggs scene from ANH, the Empire's economy reforms would simply be them taking over free enterprise industry by industry. In the scene Biggs warns Luke that the Empire is nationalizing commerce in the core systems. Though I can see the Empire spinning this power grab as a reform.