main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Did the galaxy know that Palpatine was a Sith Lord?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Tomifonication, May 7, 2014.

1. NotSoScruffyLooking

NotSoScruffyLooking Jedi Master star 3

Mar 20, 2009
    I'm wondering how much of the galaxy actually new that Palpatine was Chancellor/Emperor...

JABoomer likes this.
  2. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    No, it did not. At least in the new canon. I'm not sure what George's official stance is, nor what route they went in Legends.

3. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    In the prologue of the original novelization, Palpatine was described as a figurehead controlled by the bootlickers who put him in office, IIRC, and that description came from the Whills. If the Whills didn't know the truth about him, I doubt the rest of the galaxy did.

4. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    ^ Of course, that was the original premise, add to this that the novelization also had Kenobi state something about the later "corrupt emperors" (i.e. more than one)

In hindsight it would appear that this was merely the public impression Palpatine wanted to create, something enhanced (IMHO) by him using a cane upon his arrival on the Death Star in ROJ.
    By looking much weaker than he actually was, I'm confident he lured those out of hiding that were trying to betray him or gain advantage at his expense.

Perhaps Vader was among these (in ESB) and didn't see it coming that Palpatine planned to reward him for his betrayal by having him killed through the hands of his own son.

5. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

I believe the main people who knew that he was a Sith Lord were Imperial officers like Tarkin and Thrawn. Otherwise, Vader and Sidious were very mysterious to the rest of the galaxy. Vader was thought of the way Grievous was (a feared monstrosity), and Sidious was considered even more enigmatic.