main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Did the "grand" inquisitor die too soon?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by ErikBridger, Feb 13, 2016.

1. ErikBridger

ErikBridger Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 3, 2014
    So im rewatching some episode's and I still can't get my head around the fact why the s1 Inquisitor got promoted to 'Grand Inquisitor' after he died.

I think it's a annoying plot hole. If Filoni & co wanted to make that Inquisitor the leader over other future inquisitors, they should have introduced other Inq's in season 1 or at least mention the 'grand inquisitor' title. I think he is a cool character that they could have used better.

We never really see him die though. He could do a Darth Maul and come back. What do you think?

2. MandoArtist

MandoArtist Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2015
    If he wasn't already incinerated by the exploding reactor, he was definitely dead when the whole ship blew up.

He's dead.

Commander Wolffe likes this.
  3. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    I think if he comes back (like actually back, not a flashback/memory/vision version) then I am totally done with Rebels.

4. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    The whole post death promotion was silly and unnecessary but even when he was alive, his character development was pretty much 0. He showed up and had a couple of Lightsaber fights and well that's pretty much it. His motivations were not so much a mystery as never even looked upon.

Compare that with Darth Vader in ANH. We know he wants to get back the stolen plans and find the secret Rebel base and that he is a bit a of a maverick. We get that from his first lines "I want to know what happened to the plans" and even Leia's "Only you could be so bold"
    We know he was once a Jedi and was Kenobi's student who murdered Lukes father and helped destroy the Jedi and that he was seduced by the Dark side. We also know the other Imperials don't like him "Your sad devotion to that ancient religion". Tarkin respects him but that's it. We know he himself isn't that impressed with the Death Star and that blowing up Leia's planet wasn't going to get anywhere with her "I told you she would never consciously betray the Rebellion" and that he wanted revenge against Obi-wan "I must face him alone" and "I was but the learner now I am the master"
    We even see him first become aware of Luke "Hmm the Force is strong in this one" which sets up for a possible sequel, that they weren't aware the would be able to do at the time.

Now that was all done in just 1 2 and half hour film. The Inquisitor had a whole Season to be developed and they did nothing before he decided to kill himself for no real reason.

jakobitis89 That's pretty much a safe bet since I doubt he will be coming back even in flash backs. Filoni only gave him the promotion to make him seem more important than he actually was.

5. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    IF he returns from the dead, then it would make no sense.

6. MandoArtist

MandoArtist Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2015
    The Grand Inquisitors motives didn't seem very difficult for me to understand, he's out to destroy the Jedi in the name of the Empire. That's all.

Doubt he'd have had any grand scheme.

7. The Mirificus

The Mirificus Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 25, 2015
    No, it wouldn't.

As much as I was like "whaaaat?" right along with the GFFA during the whole "Darth Maul Returns" thing, I grew to accept it because the reasons made some sort of sense. It's good fantasy storytelling when you can take something that ridiculous and make it seem believable. "Farther along in Sith training than we guessed" was corroborated by Maul's knowledge of Sidious' plans and by his ability to scheme/manipulate on his own. "Very connected to the Dark Side" was backed up by his family heritage. If his mom can play unusual games with life, death, and something in between, perhaps -- at least subconsciously -- he can too.

The Inquisitors don't have ANY of this going for them. They are not well-trained, nor are they portrayed as exceptionally strong in the Force. And they are not the "Chosen One" as is Vader. Death needs to be real to them.

In TCW, we -- the viewers -- were near-omnicient. We saw a lot of the Galaxy, from a lot of different perspectives. Rebels is different. Our viewpoint is like that of an extra Ghost Crew member. I doubt rich character development will ever be a thing on Rebels, and think that it will be particularly poor for the antagonists. For that reason.

8. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    It could be no one really knows how many Inquisitors there are and no know knows who the Grand Inquisitor was besides Vader and Sheev.

9. gaarastar58

gaarastar58 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2010
    I think he died at about the right time and the duel between him and Kanan was a great end to series 1. I think it was his time to go because the recurring cartoon villain that they always manage to escape of defeat is a pretty poor troupe, so yeah he went at the right time (the new inquisitors are nowhere near as good as him as baddies!). As for him returning I hope not because that would be ridiculous and wouldn't add anything dramatically to the story. When Maul came back it added a lot to the story and created a lot of tension because of his vendetta with Obi-Wan, so it worked okay.

Canyon D likes this.
  10. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I definitely think he died too soon for someome of his rank. He should have been a lowly Inquisitor.

11. Canyon D

Canyon D Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 17, 2015
    Ya would have been better if he was just a normal inquisitor and we only hear about the GI till season 3

12. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    I really liked the Grand Inquisitor. His death seemed sudden to me, and the new Inquisitors do not pack the same punch he does. Of course, I want him to stay dead. I am sick of character resurrections.

Canyon D and gaarastar58 like this.
  13. OneTrueOverlord

OneTrueOverlord Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 19, 2015
    While I am slightly disappointed in the follow ups (well, mostly the Fifth Brother) I do think that the season finale was the perfect time to kill him off before he lost his coolness. That said when it did happen I expected Vader to end up as a much more prominent character before I was informed how expensive it was to have him in the show, so my opinion is a lot less stern but still in favour of it not being too soon.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  14. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I like Rebels way more then you do and I agree with this statement.

Canyon D and Darth Dnej like this.
  15. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    My problems with Rebels are more general (though I am still enjoying it well enough) but this would be a specific problem. Maul coming back from the dead will never, ever not be a bad idea (that they somehow managed to make the best, or least bad, of) but if on top of that Jason Isaacquisitor also returns then it's pretty much the death knell for consequence and drama. Dead doesn't mean dead any more, characters can die left right and centre if you know full well they'll be back again sooner or later.

Again, not how it DOES stand (yet) but where I would be left if Grand Inquisitor does return.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  16. Sandtrooper956

Sandtrooper956 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 15, 2015
    What would be the point of bringing him back? So he can do pretty much the exact same thing our current Inquisitors are doing? Bringing him back would also make Kanan's victory pointless.....

jakobitis89 likes this.
  17. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Plus, his return would contradict the point that Vader deliberately keeps weak in understand the Force. Inquisitors may draw on the dark side, but have limited knowledge of it; none of them have been taught Sith teachings either.

Sandtrooper956 likes this.
  18. Sandtrooper956

Sandtrooper956 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 15, 2015
    Speaking of which, the Inquisitors have had major roles in all of 3 episodes this season. Kinda wish they had bigger roles....

19. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    I'm disappointed we haven't see that much of the Seventh Sister, given who the voice actress is.

20. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I'm pretty sure that in his IGN interview after Season One, Filoni confirmed that he was for sure dead.

I felt like he had potential, but remained two dimensional. The character relationships in the Star Wars universe are important. Luke being Vader's son, Anakin having a father figure in Obi-Wan that tells him what he needs to hear, versus Palpatine who is the father figure that tells him what he wants to hear. Maul was a shallow character in TPM who was given depth after his "resurrection" when he now had the motivation of wanting revenge against Obi-Wan.

Maul was cool in TPM despite being shallow because he looked cool and the novelty of his lightsaber and fast paced, acrobatics which were new in Star Wars films. And he didn't stick around long enough to become boring.

With the Grand Inquisitor, I feel like they neither established an interesting dynamic between him and Kanan, so he was shallow. And I feel like they definitely could have given him more depth. But then, unlike Maul, they kept him around a long time for as underdeveloped as he was.

So I feel like he should have been developed more and survived longer. But given that he was underdeveloped IMO, I feel like it was his time to go.

But now I suspect that Season 2 will develop him a bit more, posthumously. Which is a shame that they didn't do so when he was alive.

21. Heroic BB-8

Heroic BB-8 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 29, 2015
    i liked how his death was handled, but i could've done without the posthumous promotion. it just kinda serves to devalue whatever Inquisitors follow him.
    we already beat your boss back in season 1 LOL!

22. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I preferred the idea of him being the only Inquisitor. It's better to have one villain that you develop over time than a bunch of undeveloped villains.

23. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014
    The Grand Inquisitor was cool looking and had a great voice actor, but remained underdeveloped. I'd like to learn more about his past, but have no interest in seeing him resurrected.

24. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Nope.

There are things far worse than death.

Heroic BB-8 likes this.
  25. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012

He did. Dave implied that the events of the season one and the his past, is what will cause the Grand Inquisitor to "come back" - but not in the physical or spiritual sense.