main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Did the Jedi expect the Sith to return since the Chosen One was to destroy them?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darth Sin, Aug 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Sin

Darth Sin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 14, 1999
    When Obi-Wan said to Anakin, You were the Chosen One, it was said you would destroy the Sith, not join them.....,!, it made me know then what I always wondered as to whether the Jedi knew what the prophecy meant.

So with Obi-Wan's words to Anakin, it is clear that since he knew what it meant, then the rest of Jedi Council knew this as well, especially Yoda and likely Mace.

So it makes me ask the question did the Jedi, with knowing that the prophecy said the Chosen One would destroy the Sith and bring balance to the Force, did they expect the Sith to return?

If the Jedi believed the Sith were extinct before TPM, then quite possibly they did not believe the prophecy, or there were those that believed the prophecy, and expected the Sith to return, or even believe they never stopped existing.

It is with this that I believe that Yoda not only believed the prophecy, but he knew they would return. But even more than this, he knew the Sith had not ceased to exist. Remember these lines from TPM,

Mace: "I do not believe the Sith could have returned without us knowing"

Yoda: "Hard to see the dark is"

and then of course his words to Mace concerning the Sith

Mace: There is no doubt. The mysterious warrior was a Sith.

Yoda: Always two there are....no more...no less. A master and an
    apprentice.

So again, did the Jedi, due to the prophecy concerning the Sith destruction by the Chosen One expect them to return???

Darth Sin! :cool:

2. D_Tiburon

D_Tiburon Jedi Youngling

Aug 7, 2005
    I think it actually worked in reverse of what you are thinking.

When they first were presented with Anakin they did not want to take a chance to train him in the Jedi arts. However once it was confirmed there were Sith the Jedi Council reversed their decision to train Anakin in hopes he was "The One."

3. Grey_Jedi08

Grey_Jedi08 Jedi Youngling

Aug 9, 2005
    when anakin was first presented to the jedi council in episdoe I..nobody belived he was the choosen one..except qui gonn..they sensed danger in his training..yoda kind of did "the chosen one the boy maybe..but condone his training the council does not"..somethin like that..and then ki adi mundi said "thats impossible the sith have been extinct for a melinnium" so i dont think anybody on the council except yoda a little bit believed anakin was the choosen one ..

4. D_Tiburon

D_Tiburon Jedi Youngling

Aug 7, 2005
    Wow that sounds familiar :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.