main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Did The Last Jedi change your view of the new SW canon?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Diego Lucas, Dec 14, 2017.

?

Did The Last Jedi change your view of the new SW canon?

Poll closed Jul 14, 2018.
  1. Yes

49 vote(s)
    44.1%
  2. No

52 vote(s)
    46.8%
  3. I don't have a answer now.

10 vote(s)
    9.0%
  1. Old Rex

Old Rex Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 28, 2015

My apologies!

For a much less spoiler-y version of my last post, I enjoyed TLJ, so I hope the next couple of years of canon material helps flesh out some of the aspects only touched on in the movie. There was one instance where the movie set up what felt like a cash grab, but I'm willing to overlook it considering how everything turned out.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  2. Matty20172018

Matty20172018 Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 20, 2017
    I am nervous about seeing this film now!
    So many fans seem to be giving it a sort of half bad review, tinged with some positive thoughts.
    And you say you are not excited about 9 and seeing this one.
    A bit different to Episode II to III then! I remember being excited for III even though we all knew the end game!

3. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Biggest thing to do is to go into the film not overly attached to your own personal theories of how you would like the story to go. The movie definitely is a game changer for the franchise.

AV-6R7 likes this.
  4. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Make up your own mind. These boards have become infested with crotchety haters of anything new.

Lots also really loved TLJ. Just as passionately, I'd say

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

Son of a Bith likes this.
  5. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Yeah. For as much as people say they want change half the time when they do get change they hate it. It's pretty clear why Disney chose to do a safe movie with TFA.

6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Makes me want SOTJ, stories about the hunt for the Dagger of Mortis, the Throne of Balance, Wraith Squadron in Hutt Space. Abeloth's return and more stories to bridge the gap from Crucible to the Legacy comics.

Havoc123 and Malachi108 like this.
  7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Water, lots of water. These new films really do seem to be about the bleedin' obvious, so there's just loads of water and one tiny island and that's it. No secret other land masses or ruins, what you see is what you get.

8. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    As opposed to the originals, of course.

Desert Planet.

Ice planet.

Jungle planet.

Forest planet.

City planet.

Forest planet.

Lava planet.

9. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh come on, was it really not that obvious that it was a mick take of a joke?

10. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    Not really. TLJ was like TFA for me, albeit more fun. Still a terrible, foreign, minimalistic universe. Hell, until Legacy (or something along those lines) is canonized I'll never fully embrace this canon.

11. Bordell Eli

Bordell Eli Jedi Knight

Jan 28, 2017
    I'm just waiting for it to come out on cable to see it.

12. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    Well it made me abandon all hope of the NuCanon ever being good. As I've said, I've liked parts of the New Canon, but when your flagship trilogy of movies varies from rehash to garbage... there's not much hope to be had there.

13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Dude... :eek:

Ghost and Jedi Ben like this.
  14. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Yep, I've changed my view of nucanon. I give up on it by now. There's no point. There are still good stories here and there, but they're good stories despite how awful the sequels are.

I'll get back to buying Star Wars stuff eventually, but probably not for a few months at least.

zchmrkenhoff, fett 4 and Jedi Ben like this.
  15. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    EDIT: Double-post, glitchy board, these aren't the droids you're looking for, move along.

16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    EDIT: No, not yet time for this image.

17. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    I for one would love to see the pre-war years of the Empire. Imperial Knight's and their formation. The first two Emperorships. The cold war between the Alliance and Empire. There's so much to be shown. You don't have to like FotJ. You just have to like Legacy.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  18. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    apathy is death

Ulicus and Talos of Atmora like this.
  19. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    I'm more interested in things after seeing TLJ. I might actually read the books I've been collecting.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

Stymi likes this.
  20. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    I just finished reading the Marvel star wars comics of the OT era...

And I realized that while fun, they are truly inconsequential. Good in spite of the ST, not because of it.

There is no coordination in the ST. The PT era was actually, far, far more coordinated despite TCW and similar contradictions later popping up.

Every hint/mystery ever provided during the film's production went nowhere and led to literally nothing. Snoke's backstory wasn't even planned at all when JJ wrote it. Rian basically said in an interview he was given nothing on the major mysteries and just filled in the gaps himself or ignored them.

This means the NEU is just as meaningless as the old EU, only the old EU didn't have the kind of limitations the NEU does (keeping to safe stories within certain eras). The old EU was bold and gave us a fleshed out universe despite how much Lucas basically blew it off. Lucas still occasionally provided them with ideas and gave at least some tactic approval to the early stories. JJ literally destroyed the old EU so he can have an empty sandbox that he never even bothered to utilize properly.

The old EU was destroyed so we can have a universe filled with new films that literally tell us nothing about the new canon's history. What a sham.

21. Yes I consider it as an alternative story of what happened after Return of the Jedi and not as something that really happened

Although I do not like the new trilogy seeing it that way I accept it more
    However, I prefer the Expanded Universe version better

zchmrkenhoff and fett 4 like this.
  22. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    It's not change people are against, but bad change that goes against a character. As seen, some people who don't like the TLJ changes love the drastic changes in the SW Legacy comics. But to say that being against change is why many don't like TLJ just goes against the evidence (a snapshot of which I quoted here, if you don't mind SpecForce Trooper )

To take examples from Lord of the Rings, many were supportive of the changes like wiping out the 17 year gap between Bilbo's party and the main story--changes that enhanced the storytelling. Stuff like turning Faramir into a jerk roughing up Gollum were not supported--it goes against the character of Faramir as originally established by Tolkien.

When Grant Morrison wrote Magneto as kidnapping humans and putting them into slave camps, the fanbase and Marvel rebelled against this change since it went against Magneto's character as a WWII victim, and it was retconned to be Xorn. When Chris Claremont wrote Magneto's change of heart to join the X-Men in the 80s, this was accepted because it was an outgrowth of Magneto's thoughts on how his previous villainy towards mutant supremacy wasn't doing anything for mutants.

Fans embrace change when it's good for the story and makes sense for the character. When changes are made that go against the character as previously established with little satisfactory explanation, fans have a right to be upset and they shouldn't be accused of being against change for change's sake.

23. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    Yes it did for me. I really disliked
    Luke's end
    and it made me think less of the new canon in general because
    I do not want every character I grow to like die before their time, and feel like they did not redeem themselves for whatever their story is at this time.
    It made me really depressed after seeing this movie.

Also if we are going to kill off characters like Ackbar off screen line this again, what is the point of liking any of the background characters? :/

24. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I still think it's a testament to Disney's marketing team that the 2015 Marvel Star Wars #1 was not only the best selling comic issue of the last few decades but also got such hugely positive reviews, given that it was pretty much the textbook definition of fluff. A big chunk of the art was pretty much just traced over movie images and a big chunk of the dialogue was simply recycled movie cliches. It's absolutely baffling.

Of course the fact that it was billed as "the first Star Wars comic" and it had the weight of Marvel and Disney behind it as well as the 2015 pre-TFA hype but at the same time, I think it speaks volumes that it was Star Wars 1, rather than anything TFA related (or even Rebels) that was the biggest Star Wars comic of the year. Perfect microcosm of the Disney-era marketing and approach to the franchise.

What Are The Odds likes this.
  25. The Raddinator

The Raddinator Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 18, 2017
    Not overall. I liked the new canon before, I LOVE TLJ but it hasn't really enhanced or diminished anything. (Though I guess I'm looking forward to new stuff more now!) That said, one small thing I did appreciate more;

That story arc in the Poe Dameron comic about how the Resistance were running critically short on fuel!