main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Did The Last Jedi change your view of the new SW canon?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Diego Lucas, Dec 14, 2017.

?

Did The Last Jedi change your view of the new SW canon?

Poll closed Jul 14, 2018.
  1. Yes

49 vote(s)
    44.1%
  2. No

52 vote(s)
    46.8%
  3. I don't have a answer now.

10 vote(s)
    9.0%
  1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    And there was at least 50 issues in engineering that shift at a time when comics were strictly monthly, so at least 4 years of development. It wouldn't happen now.

I'm hoping for a 4th Uncanny X-Men omnibus that goes up to #200 where Magneto's arc really gets a major development, but one built on the previous issues.

2. Shadowrain10

Shadowrain10 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 12, 2017
    I personally enjoyed the movie, were there issues with it? Yeah, I had a couple, some of them kind of glaring, but overall it was still a great movie in my mind.

I actually didn't mind Luke's death, since I saw it more as a passing of the torch rather than just a flat-out death scene. One thing I didn't like however was Holdo, I felt like she should have explained her plan to Poe, but since she hadn't, we got a mutiny scene that could have very well been avoided, but that's more of a Hollywood thing. I also enjoyed the scenes with Kylo and Rey and I won't lie, but I am kind of looking forward to seeing what Kylo does now that he is the new Supreme Leader, which brings me to my next point; Supreme Leader Snoke. I felt like Snoke's death was very warranted, he was blinded by the same vision that both Rey and Kylo were blinded by, and it shows how Force Visions don't always play out the way you think they will. Sure, we saw the same thing in Season One of Rebels, but never on the big screen. I also don't feel like the movie ruined Luke's character at all, it makes sense that he would for a split second fear Ben turning to the dark and want to end it there. Of course, he stopped himself shortly after activating his saber but still, and you can see how that one lapse in judgment fundamentally hurt and broke Luke. He wanted nothing to do with the rest of the galaxy at all because he felt like he broke everything. It's why he didn't want to train Rey and why he believed that the Jedi should end, that is until Rey showed him how wrong he was and how the Jedi can still continue even after his failure as a teacher. I felt like that was the reason Yoda was the one who showed up and not Obi-Wan or even Anakin. Yoda was the Grand Master of the Jedi Order when Anakin was being trained, so at the end of the day part of the blame rests on his little shoulders. So the two of them have a lot in common, a lot more than people give them credit for.

As for the whole Leia using the Force to move back to the ship after it exploded? Well, here I'm just kind of guessing because the novelization isn't out yet, but I would assume that she might not have known that she was doing it, or if she did know, she was using it without actually triggering it. It's been shown in other canon sources that if Leia is in a flight or fight situation that she will unintentionally use the Force to help her out of whatever jam she is in. Like using the Force to choke Jabba or using the Force to leap across a gap in a rock formation to save herself and who she was with. I feel like a lot of the issues that people have with the movie could be solved by reading the new books and other sources of canon.

3. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    Yeah I remember when Durge and Asaj Ventress in the original Clone Wars comics had a major impact on Revenge of the Sith. Oh wait . . .

And while I do understand people's serious problems with The Last Jedi, the amount of "that's it, I'm officially done!" comments (many of whom I saw making similar comments after TFA) just makes me think of this Wookieepedia page, which lists "Things that have Ruined Star Wars Forever in the past" and "Things that will no doubt Ruin Star Wars Forever in the future"

masterskywalker and Stymi like this.
  4. Ewan Tibbetts

Ewan Tibbetts Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 13, 2016
    The Last Jedi hasn't changed my view of the new canon. I'm still highly invested in the sequel trilogy, Rebels and some of the Marvel comics and I'm still bored to death by most of the books.

Strangely TLJ has changed my view of Legends. I never got deeper into that than a few of the video games. I really liked TLJ but it made me so hungry for a non-prequel era Jedi order. I didn't want to get into Legends because it's dead and allegedly a mess but it seems I have no choice. Heir to The Empire sits waiting/gloating as we speak. Anything else I need to read before I get to NJO?

CommanderL and vong333 like this.
  5. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Dark Empire. You'll be surprised how neatly it ties into ROTS.

As far as the Thrawn Trilogy, you can read the comic book adaptation on comixology which removes a lot of the inconsistencies with the prequels that Zahn's novels had.

Play the game Jedi Academy on Steam to get a feel for what Luke's New Jedi Order was like.

6. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    For things that ruin Star Wars page linked above, now that Disney has 20th Century Fox, maybe we will get that logo again? Possibly one less thing to ruin Star Wars forever. :p

JediBatman likes this.
  7. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    Just in case, I'll put the rest in spoilers.

No; I think it actually made more excited about the NEU. The movie introduced a lot of backstory and hinted at things I can't wait to read about. TLJ ended in a way where I'm not sure where it will go and that leaves me really excited for IX. I love the new characters and how former characters were handled which further strengthens my belief the saga is in good hands. Also, this is the first star wars movie to give me so much to think about. While I was speculating after TFA, it's quite different than after TLJ. Depending on what happens with IX, TLJ could end up being my favorite Star Wars movie. At the least, it will be in my top three.

I'd suggest reading the Jedi Academy Trilogy. They aren't the best books, but deal with Luke building his Jedi Order. Also, read the Hand of Thrawn Duology, they end the Galactic Civil War and have good Luke scenes. To fill in the gaps between these books, read the X-Wing series. They don't deal with Jedi, but fill the gaps in the war. Also, the X-Wing books will help if you choose to read I Jedi, which takes place during the Jedi Academy Trilogy. It overlaps with that trilogy for a while, but is a far better book. There's also Darksaber, which I guess is important for both Luke's Jedi and the war but it isn't really good and isn't as important as the Jedi Academy Trilogy. After that you'll be ready to read the NJO. As a warning, don't read beyond the NJO, the EU started getting really bad after that.

Hypatia, vong333 and Ewan Tibbetts like this.
  8. Ewan Tibbetts

Nov 13, 2016
    Thanks for your help. :luke:

JediKnight75 likes this.
  9. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    No problem! Have fun; the legends series is really exciting

Oh, I forgot to mention, the X-Wing books tie into the NJO a lot and so are really important.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  10. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Same thing with me.

I wasn't super enthusiastic about the New Jedi Order back in the day, but in retrospect the varied mindsets and backgrounds of those jedi really brought a lot to the order and I am kind of sad that the new canon won't be able to play around with that.

(Also, I want a Kage jedi with the black lightsaber. Is that the most 12-year old thing ever? Yes, yes it is. Still.....)

Force Smuggler and Jedi Ben like this.
  11. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    JINO taught me the important lesson never to invest in a character again.

12. Ewan Tibbetts

Nov 13, 2016
    Eventually we'll get it...
    When the movies reach beyond the sequel trilogy and the post-episode 9 era becomes available. Rey has to rebuild the Jedi even more from scratch than Luke.

Son of a Bith and SilentGuy66 like this.
  13. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I will admit when I exited the theatre I did find myself thinking, "What's the point in following all of the novels, comics, games, animated series...hell even the upcoming TV show, if the main films are just going to continue disappoint me?"

Then I was like, "Screw it! Maybe I should just focus on the MCU!" :p

Malachi108 likes this.
  14. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    To be fair, I'm kind of feeling the same way about the X-Men film universe (you know why if you've seen Logan). Now that Disney has bought Fox, combined with my dislike of what Disney has done with SW, I'm not sure to be excited for X-Men or scared...

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  15. Lance Toris

Lance Toris Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 22, 2015
    I honestly felt it was refreshing, and often found it more measured than things we have already seen from Clone Wars or Rebels.

So for me, no, didn't change my view or feelings.

16. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    It changed my view of the Force for sure and Force potentials in characters

17. J_K_DART

J_K_DART Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Sadly, yes. The failure to deliver on some of the mysteries of the past really didn't impress me. Some of the creative decisions actually seemed to limit the story, rather than open it up. It's certainly clear the TFA era was made up on the go, as it were, with no long-term planning or vision. The Story Group has been doing a good job tying the varying media together, but the film basically just couldn't care less about what the Story Group have set up.

To me, the attraction of the new canon was the idea that everything counts. I loved the approach Lucasfilm took with Rogue One, where the novels set things up, and the film built on them phenomenally. I'd expecting something similar from The Last Jedi. Unfortunately, while the novels had some thematic ties (especially Ken Liu's), that was about it. Very disappointing indeed. I'm hoping Lucasfilm delivers something better with whatever books they schedule for release before Solo. But sadly, right now, I feel a lot less invested and enthusiastic about the new canon than I have in two years.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  18. Jedi of Mandalore

Jedi of Mandalore Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 22, 2015
    It just makes me want KOTOR back in the canon even more as it is infinitely better than what is in these movies.

Don't get me wrong though, the decision to scrap the old EU and start fresh was the correct decision. They should hurry up though and take the great elements of the old EU and bring it back officially into the new Star Wars canon. If adjustments have to be made, then so be it but there is just too much great material to forget about.

19. lookameatbag

lookameatbag Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2014
    I mean I still like stories like Lost Stars and Lords of the Sith but TLJ put too much of sour taste in my mouth for me to even care about any post-ROTJ material in the new canon. Unless Episode IX redeems the trilogy, I might check out whatever material they release in between the OT and ST.

20. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    Yes. How dare people go into this movie having watched the 7(+1) that came before it.

Thinking Snoke is Plagueis is a preconceived notion.
    Thinking Luke wouldn't act that way is paying attention.

Gharlane likes this.
  21. zchmrkenhoff

zchmrkenhoff Jedi Knight

Jun 17, 2015
    When I saw Force Awakens, I was immensely disappointed. Coming from the grand, fleshed-out galaxy of the prequels, we return to barren deserts a couple worlds, and a small number of characters.

Then I read all the books, and I enjoyed them overwhelmingly except for Heir to the Jedi and A New Dawn. The authors really succeeded in restoring the feeling of a populated galaxy with much awesome worldbuilding (especially in the Phasma book!) and I was very excited to see The Last Jedi.

Despite all that, The Last Jedi continued in the same vein as Force Awakens, in a way that makes me feel there is a disconnect between the excellent books and the lackluster films. The new film violated a a core rule of the continuity that has all but destroyed Star Wars as a franchise.
    Hyperspace ram

I can't really view this material as canon. It seems to have the same sort of troubles as the old EU.

At this point, the Star Wars universe's "canon" problem is in a shambles. I'm not loner going to accept people telling me what is or isn't canon. I'm going to just read material and decide for myself what is canon. I'm going to back and reread the Thrawn trilogy. Honestly, I think that Thrawn or Aftermath are both fine follow-ups to RoTJ, but I think the Vong war and this sequel trilogy are both unworthy continuations of the series.

I'm going to keep reading the new books, especially those by Zahn, Luceno, and some of the newer authors like Dawson, Freed, and Gray.

At this point, for me, the most important part of Star Wars is the books, the films and TV shows with their intrusive importance are obstacles the books will need to get around, given that the films are of such poor quality.

Rogue One was pretty good though. Perhaps once the sequel trilogy is over they will be freed of the problems they seem to suffer from and they can make the good films they want to without constraints.

J_K_DART likes this.
  22. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    They even had Darth Maul style double sabers! ( With light side approved crystals, of course. )

23. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Well, it has made me decide that there is no one helming the ship. The story group is more of a damage control team then an organization devoted to plotting out the overall story.

24. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016
    I still have a ton to catch up on. I've only read Phasma, Thrawn and the Rogue One novel lol. All I know is that Phasma made the character a badass that we will probably never see on screen.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  25. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Yep, we're basically back to 2006 - no plan, secretive directors not giving a toss about anything outside of their "vision", the rest of the films be damned. I've been here before, it wasn't great despite a few diamonds, I have no interest in returning to it.

Yep and that's the problem. Is it so unreasonable to expect a sense of connection between books and film when the overall title of a set of books is Journey to the Last Jedi? Yes, the characters were in the film but the way the film followed up on them sounds far more like a disconnection.

fett 4 and J_K_DART like this.