main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Did the OT DVD's coming out before Ep. 3 hurt their release?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DARTHFINGERZ, Jan 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DARTHFINGERZ

DARTHFINGERZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2004
    Let me say I do love the DVD's so this is not a thread bashing them. However, I wont deny that they could have been a bit better.

Many have said the DVD's were rushed and that is why mistakes still remain, audio issues are still there, certain FX shots still are not up to par...etc...We all know what has been said. And I agree that is one way in which the release was hindered.

Here is another way though. Due to the fact that Ep. 3 is still not out - perhaps certain "additions" could not be made as they would give away or "spoil" certain parts of ep3? I wont go into "spoiler" territory though here.

Another thing, look at how many people were confused by Hayden as a Force Ghost whereas if the DVD's had come out AFTER ep 3 perhaps we'd understand more why he is there and be more accepting of it.

Overall, I feel like had the DVD's come out after Ep. 3 GL would have had......

1. More time to fix all the little problems us nitpickers still see.

&....

2. More time to maybe add in deleted scenes or maybe even a few additions here and there that connect to the PT.

Even the extras would be more complete as there could be an open discussion (with cast, crew, GL) on the entire saga - as a WHOLE (ep. 1-6) which would be a great treat for us fans.

Who knows, maybe the purists would even have gotten their OT thrown in as a "bonus" as well?

Yes, it is great to have the DVD's now to enjoy.....but does anyone else feel that the OT DVD's coming out before Ep. 3 hurt their release?

2. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    Not at all, I had always wanted the OT on DVD, and I was thrilled to get it when I did, minor glitches and all (and the glitches are VERY minor, I wouldn't even notice them without the boards here) :p

3. DBrennan3333

DBrennan3333 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 5, 2004
    "Did the OT hurt the PT"?!?!?

That's about as backwards as a question can be.

Imagine this: TPM is released on its own in 1999, nobody ever heard of "Star Wars."

TPM opens to embarassing reviews, scant audience, and fizzles out of theaters with $25 mil. AOTC is released a few years later as a direct-to-video feature, and is such a dud that ROTS never even gets released.

Look, the PT is gravy-training the OT. There's, like zero doubt of this. That's why both TPM and (even moreso) AOTC are WAY behind the OT in inflation-adjusted box office. It's not even close.

The PT gets tons and tons of free press and it gets to exploit the great reputation of 'Star Wars.' Left to stand on their own, without the OT, the PT would have totally bombed and there would be no "TheForce.net."

4. Wesyeed

Wesyeed Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 5, 2005
    OK...

Whhoooosaahhhh...

These DVDs and why they were released last year have been talked about for some time... Now this is only my opinion, but I think GL did it for the money. Others believe he did it for the love of the movies and for the love of his fans, to finally give them what they want. That's FINE. I have not problem with anyone who thinks that way.

Now we know these versions will soon be obselete once everything is abandoned in 2007.

Personally, I think doing the movies backwards like this hurt the PT more than we can possibly understand since so much of the exposition from eps 4 and 5 is left out of the newer movies...that's FINE too. I understand it was meant to be told in this scatter-shot style and there's nothing wrong with an artists doing his thang...

BUT. Would it be nice if the movies weren't put out on the market in so many different forms and versions with all sorts of little rush-jobs hither and thither throughout..............HELL YES!!!!

I agree. Releasing the whole shi-bang after Ep3 would have been a better way to go. But now we'll just have to wait until 2007.

*waits*

5. Dirty-Darth

Dirty-Darth Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 30, 2004
    I honestly believe that GL has more up his sleeve. I feel like he walked in the door at ILM or wherever and said...."Everyone finish what your doing, were making a DVD. Once it's done you can continue working for the 2007 release." I dont mind most of the changes, and I always look forward to what may come with the next release. As longas the DVD's arent final because some effects were not fixed.

6. Freddy-Krueger

Freddy-Krueger Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 5, 2005
    That's why both TPM and (even moreso) AOTC are WAY behind the OT in inflation-adjusted box office.

...With inflation the original Star Wars would have made $1,113,247,500 (according to Box Office Mojo.com).

NO FILM ON EARTH WILL EVER MAKE THAT MUCH. EVER. Stop comparing OT numbers with the PT numbers. Unadjusted the PT is damn near matching the OT. In fact, AOTC is above ROTJ and the precious ESB on the all time charts. But then again, someone who hates the PT will look at the adjusted, see that ESB would have made $600 million dollars in today's box office and just say, "Look more proof that the PT is unsuccessful." It doesn't work that way.

The PT is doing very well box office wise (and in my and many other's opinions, quality wise).

7. KMG-365

KMG-365 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 11, 2005
    ...With inflation the original Star Wars would have made $1,113,247,500 (according to Box Office Mojo.com). NO FILM ON EARTH WILL EVER MAKE THAT MUCH. EVER.

Well, Gone With the Wind made more. :)

I doubt that any future film with reach those numbers, though.

Stop comparing OT numbers with the PT numbers. Unadjusted the PT is damn near matching the OT.

If you're comparing box office receipts for movies from different eras, you have to use inflation adjusted figures. Otherwise you're comparing apples to bananas. I don't really see what the point is in comparing box office receipts, though. There are films that have made hundreds of millions of dollars, but are total drek. Lots o' money <> good movie.

In fact, AOTC is above ROTJ and the precious ESB on the all time charts. But then again, someone who hates the PT will look at the adjusted, see that ESB would have made $600 million dollars in today's box office and just say, "Look more proof that the PT is unsuccessful."

Do people actually do that? Asking seriously. I wouldn't base a movie's quality on its box office receipts. I look at the merits of the movie.

The PT is doing very well box office wise (and in my and many other's opinions, quality wise).

Yes, it is. Unfortunately for the PT, people had unattainable expectations for the films.

8. Wesyeed

Wesyeed Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 5, 2005
    Well it did kinda look like the second coming of christ as far as the cool trailers and stuff before the movie came out are concerned...

Whatever... that's in the past...

9. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    "We see standing ovations."

Ovations, indeed
    /LM

10. Freddy-Krueger

Jan 5, 2005
    Otherwise you're comparing apples to bananas. I don't really see what the point is in comparing box office receipts, though. There are films that have made hundreds of millions of dollars, but are total drek. Lots o' money <> good movie.

Well yes, but you're also comparing the currnet receipts to something the films just can't attain. There won't be another motion picture to make $600 million, let alone $1 billion. It's a little unfair.

Do people actually do that? Asking seriously. I wouldn't base a movie's quality on its box office receipts. I look at the merits of the movie.

You'd be surprised. I agree with you, the merits of the film are more important than the reciepts.

11. KMG-365

KMG-365 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 11, 2005
    There won't be another motion picture to make $600 million, let alone $1 billion. It's a little unfair.

Fair or not, it is really the only way to compare the two when discussing box office receipts. Unless you can look at number of tickets sold, which I don't think is available. To compare it otherwise would be unfair to the earlier films because ticket prices were less back then.

As for movies making $600 million, Titanic did it (just domestic). And if you look at worldwide numbers, quite a few films have.

Like I said earlier, though, $$$ at the box office does not a good movie make.

12. Freddy-Krueger

Jan 5, 2005
    As for movies making $600 million, Titanic did it (just domestic). And if you look at worldwide numbers, quite a few films have.

"Nobody will ever top Titanic."
    -George Lucas. ;)

As for worldwide, of course that's believable. I was speaking domestic strictly. :)

13. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    The problem I have with inflation is that it's often based on the CPI...which is usually almost 1% overstated because it encompasses the economic whole rather than individual segments. But I will agree that it's only fair to match films against each other from different time periods if you adjust for inflation.

Personally, I take issue with bringing the PT box office numbers because 1.) a film's quality is in no way reflected by the revenue and 2.) even if the PT doesn't have the same revenue cut as the OT, they are still highly successful films. It is NOT as common as people think for a film to gross 300+ million dollars. It's not even common for a movie to make close to a $100 million. They may have made less than the OT, but then the OT has had thirty years and the essence of novelty to help rack up revenue totals.

--------

There are a number of factors that contributed to the release of the DVDs, but I don't they've been hurt in any way. The sales are quite high and have been anticipated for quite some time. Perhaps more could have been done, but, eh, I don't mind. If I could sit through the SE and original versions in all of their flawed glory, then I can survive a few nitpicky issues with the DVDs. I love them, and they are pretty, and that's all I care about. :p

14. Aiel_Neeuq

Aiel_Neeuq Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 19, 2005
    Lucas and his greediness hurt the OT!!!

15. Emperor_Dantius

Emperor_Dantius Jedi Master star 2

Feb 18, 2005
    Not exactly hurt, but after ROTS, there could have been more stuff to add.
    Like Kashyyyk and Utapau at the end of ROTJ

16. DarthRodriqueeze

DarthRodriqueeze Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 21, 2005
    no cuz while people are waiting for ep 3 to come out they say "What happened to the old movies o, look how convenient, new dvd'x ill take a million!"

17. anthonymaul

anthonymaul Jedi Master star 4

Mar 22, 2004
    I dont think it matters,Star Wars will always be what
    it is.

18. RogueScribner

RogueScribner Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    NO FILM ON EARTH WILL EVER MAKE THAT MUCH. EVER.

Titanic did and then some.

L8r

19. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Not really. We needed to see some footage against bluescreen. It strengthen it in my book. Anyways, keep the ROTS info in 3SA.

20. Freddy-Krueger

Jan 5, 2005
    Titanic did and then some.

No, it didn't. Read the post again.

And we're talking domestic.

21. RogueScribner

RogueScribner Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    Well, your post is still false. Eventually, a movie will gross $1,000,000,000 domestically. It may not happen anytime soon, but to say unequivocally that it will NEVER happen is just being shortsighted.

There was a time not too long ago when a movie grossing more than $100,000,000 seemed impossible. But it happened. And a few years later that record was broken. E.T. held the record at just shy of $400 million before Jurassic Park came along and then edged it out.

Every few years it seems we get a huge spike in box office grosses for a film. Titanic did INSANE business. It's going to happen again. This past year we had three films do around $400 million each and another three that grossed more than $200 million . Ten years ago it was a huge deal if a film cracked $200 million, let alone $300 million. In fact, in 1995 not a single film grossed more than $200 million. But these past ten years have been booming for Hollywood. Receipts have more than doubled from ten years ago. If they double again in another ten years, then we have the perfect climate for a billion dollar movie. I wouldn't be surprised if a film grosses as much domestic dollars within the next 10 - 15 years.

L8r

22. DARTHFINGERZ

DARTHFINGERZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2004
    DBrennan3333 I think you kind of misunderstood my original question......The question was - Since the OT DVD's came out BEFORE Ep. 3 did that hurt their release?

I wasn't necessarily referring to sales really - I was thinking more that the 3 movies on DVD would have been better overall because more time would have been alloted to produce them or perhaps PT connections could have been added....etc.....

Another thing is this.....imagine if after Ep. 3 had hit theaters people who hadn't yet seen the OT (if there are any left in the world, lol) were then able to go pick up the latest revamped version of the OT (the continuation of the saga) on DVD?

I know such people still can do this ^....but the current versions still have flaws and could have been better IMO.

Nevertheless, the post has turned out some interesting discussions I see....

23. BauconBatista

BauconBatista Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 24, 2004
    The DVDs weren't hurt because they came before Episode III. They were hurt because some "fans" are sadly impatient whiners.

Remember that GL originally wanted to release the OT(Along with the PT) in 2007, well after Episode III so he could ultimately tie the saga for once and for all. You might remember it as the Archival Edition.

Of course, this sparked some very negative reactions, which only got worse as time passed... so GL decides to make a OT boxset that is essentially, like it or not, a placeholder edition to bridge the wait for the authentic 2007 saga release.

I personally thought the DVDs were fantastic--and yet incomplete at the same time. I'm not just talking about extras(And frankly, I'm sickened at how people actually seem to care more about bonus features than THE FILM ITSELF these days, but I disgress). There are some glaring audio/video/effects problems that seem oddly out of place with the general awesomeness of the transfer. The people behind the making of the DVD weren't being lazy, because they were obviously working and pushing themselves to the max with the little time they had--and there's the problem: they were not given the time necessary for something like this, and thus were unable to reach the fullest extent of their magic.

People complaining that the DVDs didn't meet their expectations? They should just be thankful GL decided to release the OT earlier than 2007 to begin with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.